Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
879 Posts
that seth dude is a challenger who actually got "yes" chants when he said he wanted to face brock, and he got the biggest positive reactions out of the 5 challengers.

if this guy is a "charisma vacuum," then i would HATE to be his other 4 challengers in the extreme rules ppv. what the fuck does that make them then? xD

not even a big fan of this dude, but i can admit he's talented. on here though? there's truth and theres blind hatred :v

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Heavy scripting is hurting both Raw and Smackdown, especially Nakamura this week and the women's segment.
It is so sad seeing Nakamura force to speak on the Mic with horrible lines in broken english. The man is a natural with charisma and with a few well placed words or lack thereof could be so great. I fear for Asuka for the same reason. She could be HUGE, but WWE scripting and forcing her to speak is going to ruin her. She's a goddess of the ring, until forced to parrot some line she clearly doesn't understand.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Adam from Whatculture said it best about 6 months ago....

If you're going to be a control freak and try and control everything... do more prepackaged videos. Do more productions and interviews and less live mic stuff.

They would do so much better doing more stuff in post production than whatever the hell they're doing now.

4,547 Posts
The reason the promos are terrible is twofold. One, only select talent have serious input on the creative side, either by virtue of their standing in the company or because they've proven they can be trusted off script. Gaining that trust initially requires being the type who isn't eager to please but instead does what they want and takes whatever the outcome is which, if it doesn't work, could be very negative career-wise.

Two, most wrestlers are wretched actors. There's a reason many of the biggest names from the past were not always the best technicians in ring but terrific talkers or had presence, or "it factor" if you will. Anyone who has all three of those qualities is a rare talent that will almost always wind up near the top. Most main event level workers are far above average in one of the three and acceptable to above average in another.

When shoddy actors are given boring scripts you get something that isn't even entertaining on a trainwreck level. They need to be put in scenarios where their natural reactions can take over and make up for the lack of acting skill. You can tell instantly who in WWE is enjoying their segments and who is just wishing it was over so they can get back to what they're good at or maybe disappear into a washroom backstage hiding away from the cameras while sobbing quietly over the trauma of it all (or to get high as a kite before they have to speak again since I'm convinced that helps some of them).

It is so sad seeing Nakamura force to speak on the Mic with horrible lines in broken english. The man is a natural with charisma and with a few well placed words or lack thereof could be so great. I fear for Asuka for the same reason. She could be HUGE, but WWE scripting and forcing her to speak is going to ruin her. She's a goddess of the ring, until forced to parrot some line she clearly doesn't understand.
Sorry, I'll be veering off topic here:

WWE creative has no idea what to do with them and they're not sure what to do with themselves since they're being told they have to adapt to the WWE style, delivering stereotypical promos in English included, which is not what got them to where they are. Nakamura is the worst example of this I've seen in some time. I love the guy, he's one of my all-time favs. NJPW seemed to know how to work with his quirkiness in a way that made him seem eccentric but charismatic rather than like that weird man no one wants to sit next to on the bus. The whole situation actually pisses me off.

tbh, with how some of the recent big name additions are being portrayed, coupled with hearing that WWE is supposedly not at all interested in the Broken gimmick that made the Hardys back into a topic of conversation, I feel like many of these signings - and I'm not saying this necessarily applies to Shinsuke or Asuka - have little to do with building the rosters and loads to do with taking the stars away from any potential competition. WWE doesn't care if they fail on their stage, they just don't want them succeeding anywhere else. Once any hype they had is cooled, they can wander on back to wherever they came from.

·
it's a tarp!
5,228 Posts
WWE willn't risk it.

If WWE's plans are for a Roman/Brock WM main event, then suddenly other stars become more popular from nowhere their main event now looks substandard.

WWE doesn't believe in levelling up, but appear ecstatic when cutting people down.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I really do think WWE needs to do more backstage segments, and quick interviews, flesh out wrestlers that are new to the roster. Many of them go out there and cut a promo, and it all feels very fake, and unimportant, they have 0 connection with the crowd. They present these hollow characters, and I find it very difficult to care about them at all, the scripted promos dont help of curse.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There are many Things I don't understand, but regarding promos then I can just think of one thing I don't understand.

I think it was at Backlash where Dolph Ziggler claimed to be betther than Shinsuke Nakamuro and that he was going to beat him. The match was also called Shinsuke's debut match. But how can Ziggler say that, when Ziggler LOST to Shinsuke on may 14th. in Copenhagen in Denmark at a house show? Those two faced off and Ziggler lost cleanly.

Now I am at it, then how come the same thing happend in two different matches? In Denmark there were a Triple Threat Tag Team Match between Breezango, The Usos and the Ascencion. In this match one of the Ascencion tried to climb the ropes to do a leap when Breeze roled out of the way. Then he went to the opposite corner and Again Breeze rolled away. The same thing happend in the match between Breezango and the Usos at Backlash. So how come the exact same thing happens in two different matches?

·
Registered
15,716 Posts
It's not so much the scripting that's a problem, at least not for certain guys, it's the QUALITY of the writing.

Goldust was scrpted word-for-word in 1996, and that shit was awesome. Guys like Val Venis were heavily scripted too, and it worked. There needs to be more collaboration between writer and talent, so that the writer can put themselves in the shoes of the talent and effectively write promos for them that make sense FOR THEIR CHARACTER. If you're someone like The Rock or Ric Flair, then of course you should be allowed to take more creative liberties because guys like that GET their characters and are quick-witted enough to think on the fly and be entertaining in any situation on their own.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The whole damn show is in ruins at every turn. It's the same matches every week. No one can get excited for this lazy crap.

·
Rolling Blunts With King Kunta
1,531 Posts
Sometimes, I wonder why do they have promo classes if everything is going to be heavily scripted anyways and how exactly do they help wrestlers hone their mic skills. Wrestlers like Crews and Balor certainly need more practice.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Actually I don't mind Asuka putting in more of the effort lately. I kinda get a kick out it. Not all of it works, but I like that she's more involved. Nakamura I tend more to agree with you. He does the mysterious better. But he can speak English better than people think.

·
Registered
259 Posts
they just need better writers tbh. Gerwitz use to write everything for the rock in terms of his promo's . wwe has always been pretty much heavy scripted some guys would get more leeway then others but they need writers who are gonna be able to work with a talent understand the character and then write stuff unique to that character. Because right not everyone is sounding the same

·
Registered
310 Posts
The OP has great points. These heavily scripted promos are just horrible, totally cringe worthy. Extremely boring. Lacking any type of excitement or charisma.

AEW is smart in that they let wrestlers talk from the cuff. Their unique personalities shine through which is a hell of a lot more interesting and entertaining than this excessively scripted snoozefest.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I know old threads like these shouldn't be bumped, but, bad acting and delivery is ruining promos. Look at MVP for example. People need to work harder thats all it is. Cant blame WWE for keeping everything scripted all the time.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.