Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
They should watch more Jericho, Hunter & Miz promos AND learn. These guys do it so effortlessly.
HHH? He's a snoozer on the microphone

However, you're assuming the young or new guys today are given any latitude whatsoever.

I guarantee you they don't utter a word they aren't ordered to, strong-style, crushing any comfort or creativity these wrestlers might have.

The Miz and Jericho undoubtedly have a bit more leeway, although they follow directions at the end of the day as well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
IMO, the scripting wouldn't be so bad, but it's so lacking in creativity. The cookie-cutter babyface promos are awful, but are nothing compared to the blatant utilitarian way so many of the backstage segments are used. The bigger matches suffer the most from this, which means the top guys get it the worst.

The ones that stuck out for me were Roman/Seth in the opening and Finn/Angle in the close, although Bryan Kendrick's dull 205 live advertisement that was passed off as a segment was bad, too.

Roman: "I told you I don't need your help." (What? When did that happen and why are you mad, bro? Did you want to get beat up?)

Seth: "I wasn't out there your you, I was out there for Joe." (You clearly understand Joe works there full time, you've jumped him backstage before, and surely you saw Roman standing in the ring before you came out?)

So bland, utter lack of continuity with their history, just a set up for Angle to say he's making the main event. They need to either put in a bit more effort, or not bother to have them say that crap at all.

Finn's closing segment was even worse, because he actually had more to say, unfortunately it brought us no closer to Finn's character, he essentially spent the entire show saying, "I'm a baby face, I wanna fight."

He has the exact same character as Seth Rollins does, an Irish accent is the only thing distinguishing him until they (hopefully) do something different using the Demon King. Hell, the only thing Roman's got going for his character is that he's mean, nasty, vicious, and vengeful, which makes him essentially Samoa Joe and only works because he started acting like that after he'd been a bland good guy and he's never betrayed a friend to show he's a bad guy, but it would hardly fly for two dudes they're trying to promote right now as good guys, so they're stuck with insipid top-face crap.
As far as the WWE is concerned, The lack of complexity cannot keep an adult with any intelligence interested.

I find myself fading and fading, uninterested in really anything at the moment. The things that will garner my interest are:

1. Brock Lesnar advertised
2. Strowman returns
3. Another AJ Styles title push
4. The Miz on the microphone more.

So many acts are just completely stale.

Ambrose? zzz.
Rollins? Meh.
Joe? Already cooled off as just another guy..
The Hardy's return? Bland, uneventful, neutered.
Wyatt? The character has no credibility, just the same promos but for a guy who loses all the time.
Orton? Charisma of a 2 x 4, please retire.
Reigns? Yikes! Gimmick change please!
The New Day? Yikes! Gimmick change or plot twist please!
Baron Corbin? Another 2x4, just avoiding more criticism because Mr. Reigns hogs it all in the area of a tall, uncharismatic, overpushed dude.
Balor? Had all the momentum in the world, but then completely ruined him by turning him into just another guy who comes out and talks. No mystery, just... another guy.

Owens, Styles, The Miz.. there's still some life left, but my goodness, so many wrestlers just hanging around with nothing going for them.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,161 Posts
Someone with talent can make scripted promo's work.

Ultimately, you need some form of charisma and the ability to ad-lib on the fly within reason. Whether that's to get the crowd involved or something that's in the moment. Kevin Owens is someone who makes scripted promo's work. The Miz is another one.

·
Premium Member
12,030 Posts
As far as the WWE is concerned, The lack of complexity cannot keep an adult with any intelligence interested.

I find myself fading and fading, uninterested in really anything at the moment. The things that will garner my interest are:

1. Brock Lesnar advertised
Really? Brock being advertised garners your interest? Just so he can stand in the ring and bop on the spot while Heyman rants for 10 minutes?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Balor did or something very close to it. It was painful to watch.

Newsflash Finn, you're on television. Heyman doesn't have to 'go' and tell him anything.
Oh no, why, why did he say that, why did they make him say that. That is just bad.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Have you ever thought that these guys are scripted because otherwise they would stink the place out even worse?
This argument is flawed. You can't get better without being thrown to the wolves and failing. Too many guys who don't sound natural with scripts are coasting on easy street. They're leaning back and letting the training wheels do all the work and delivering horribly written garbage, horribly. I would rather watch those guys fail and learn and grow and get better than coast on the same bottom of the barrel shit promos over and over again every week forever.

It's miserably bad and boring. Somebody earlier said it insults the intelligence of the average adult, and it does. They're daring you to change the channel.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
Have you ever thought that these guys are scripted because otherwise they would stink the place out even worse?
That is not it at all since we see these guys in other places and they can cut good promos or are good on the mic when not stripted.

Balor in Japan is one example, Reigns on up up down down or when you see the back stage WWE APP (when it was a big thing) where the promos are not scripted.

Just look at Ziggler as a perfect example

Why cant we get this Ziggler on TV

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,533 Posts
I firmly believe that charisma black holes like Balor and Rollins need to be scripted. Guys like that are so dull and so void of anything resembling a personality that letting them cut unscripted promos would be a massive mistake.

Don't get talking confused with cutting a promo either. Promos arent just talking, it's about conveying emotion, and a character. Pausing at the right moments, making the right words stand out.

This argument is flawed. You can't get better without being thrown to the wolves and failing. Too many guys who don't sound natural with scripts are coasting on easy street. They're leaning back and letting the training wheels do all the work and delivering horribly written garbage, horribly. I would rather watch those guys fail and learn and grow and get better than coast on the same bottom of the barrel shit promos over and over again every week forever.

It's miserably bad and boring. Somebody earlier said it insults the intelligence of the average adult, and it does. They're daring you to change the channel.
The issue there is that sort of thing shouldn't be on the main roster. There's no reason to make the promos even worse in the hope that maybe one day this guy finally gets better.

And guys like Balor have been in the business for 15 years and still can't talk. If he can't cut a promo after all that time then you have to hold the guys hand and script him.

·
Registered
747 Posts

I would prefer that they hire people who can talk on the mic rather than wasting my time watching someone embarrassingly fail on live TV.

Im pretty sure Vince doesn't want his TV star's to go out live and not look like TV star's because they are trying to ad-lib but can't. Hence why they are given scripts.

Im presuming the talent pool is so bad regarding mic work and charisma that they have no choice but to hire guys who can't talk and need a script.

The issue there is that sort of thing shouldn't be on the main roster. There's no reason to make the promos even worse in the hope that maybe one day this guy finally gets better.

And guys like Balor have been in the business for 15 years and still can't talk. If he can't cut a promo after all that time then you have to hold the guys hand and script him.
Exactly. If they need a script/cant make a script sound natural then they shouldn't be on the main roster. That's what NXT is for.

That is not it at all since we see these guys in other places and they can cut good promos or are good on the mic when not stripted.

Balor in Japan is one example, Reigns on up up down down or when you see the back stage WWE APP (when it was a big thing) where the promos are not scripted.

Just look at Ziggler as a perfect example

Why cant we get this Ziggler on TV
I don't know about Balor in Japan as I never saw it but really? After 2 years of nxt and main roster it doesn't sound like he has ever been able to cut a promo. Also NJPW isn't wwe, the audience is way smaller and they don't speak English as a first language , he can get away with being average.

The Dolph promo, come on dude that is exactly the same promo he cuts today. Except now he starts the promo screaming rather than starting halfway through like in the clip.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
10,966 Posts
I don't know about Balor in Japan as I never saw it but really? After 2 years of nxt and main roster it doesn't sound like he has ever been able to cut a promo. Also NJPW isn't wwe, the audience is way smaller and they don't speak English as a first language , he can get away with being average.

The Dolph promo, come on dude that is exactly the same promo he cuts today. Except now he starts the promo screaming rather than starting halfway through like in the clip.
Dolph Ziggler hasn't screamed in his promos ever since he turned heel 5 months ago (at least not nearly as much anymore). His promos nowadays are more darker, sinister, and softer compared to who he was when he was face not too long ago.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Really? Brock being advertised garners your interest? Just so he can stand in the ring and bop on the spot while Heyman rants for 10 minutes?
Indeed. Brock isn't watered down like so many wrestlers with weekly matches for no purpose. He's the champ, and it's a big story when he's advertised on RAW.

Brock is a WWE outsider, which appeals to me. I'm not some WWE hater, but I'm not a fanboy of the WWE brand. I like true independent contractors, which is what Brock is. The WWE needs him, and he's getting money from the WWE.

He's the last of his breed, a time before completely corporatized wrestling as we have now.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.