Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kurt Angle is a good talker. I swear to Christ I remember him being pretty good on the mic. Finn Balor in that 24 special, when he's just talking as a guy, sounds like a real human being. Likable even. Same with Roman. Same with Seth. Only by pure force of will is Bray or Dean able to somehow break out of that and not sound scripted, but even then those guys are saying the same shitty dialogue written in the same pattern by the same writers, just adjusted slightly to be their style.

Give me Raw and the very first thing I'm doing after cleaning house and firing folks, I'm scrapping the heavily scripted promos. Guys get four or five bullet points to memorize. Just go out there and talk. Get comfortable sounding natural. Some promos will be awful and bad, but everyone needs to learn by doing. Assign guys a helper who's got promo experience to help work on good one liners etc.

"Tell Brock Lesnar something for me... Tell him... I'm going to... BEAT HIM!"

"It might be Roman's yard, but it's my universe."

Seriously. Give those exact lines to the Rock and they still die a death.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Kurt Angle is a good talker. I swear to Christ I remember him being pretty good on the mic. Finn Balor in that 24 special, when he's just talking as a guy, sounds like a real human being. Likable even. Same with Roman. Same with Seth. Only by pure force of will is Bray or Dean able to somehow break out of that and not sound scripted, but even then those guys are saying the same shitty dialogue written in the same pattern by the same writers, just adjusted slightly to be their style.

Give me Raw and the very first thing I'm doing after cleaning house and firing folks, I'm scrapping the heavily scripted promos. Guys get four or five bullet points to memorize. Just go out there and talk. Get comfortable sounding natural. Some promos will be awful and bad, but everyone needs to learn by doing. Assign guys a helper who's got promo experience to help work on good one liners etc.

"Tell Brock Lesnar something for me... Tell him... I'm going to... BEAT HIM!"

"It might be Roman's yard, but it's my universe."

Seriously. Give those exact lines to the Rock and they still die a death.
Wait, who the fuck said that!?!?!?!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Balor said that against Heyman, or something like that. He told Paul he had a message for Brock, and I was leaning forward like "ohhhh what's he going to say?" and it was the lamest, dumbest most obvious thing he could have said. It's absurd to think this crap would get anyone over.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
It's definitely hindered Balor.

Reactions: SPCDRI

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
They should watch more Jericho, Hunter & Miz promos AND learn. These guys do it so effortlessly.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
They should watch more Jericho, Hunter & Miz promos AND learn. These guys do it so effortlessly.
Those guys have developed characters, the material they get is different than what most people on the roster will get. WWE puts little effort in scripts, and in making any of the wrestlers interesting. They make a big deal about Balor, but give us no reason why we should think he's a big deal.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For a big deal guy, Balor cuts the same boring ass promos, saying the exact same boring dumb crap in the same boring dumb way. How can anyone get over?

·
When you don't have a match on the show
3,745 Posts
This is the same company that got bad ass Roman Reigns to cut a Jack and the Beanstalk promo

So yea, I do feel sorry for the promos they have to go out and try to make entertaining sometimes.

Some of the lines they have to say wouldn't be written for a school play :Rollins

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
Imagine CM Punk on the mic without a script on present day RAW :banderas

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
They must have zero confidence in the guys abilities that's why.

It seems they allow some people like Miz, Y2J or New day to do their own thing sometimes or they are just that damn good.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
IMO, the scripting wouldn't be so bad, but it's so lacking in creativity. The cookie-cutter babyface promos are awful, but are nothing compared to the blatant utilitarian way so many of the backstage segments are used. The bigger matches suffer the most from this, which means the top guys get it the worst.

The ones that stuck out for me were Roman/Seth in the opening and Finn/Angle in the close, although Bryan Kendrick's dull 205 live advertisement that was passed off as a segment was bad, too.

Roman: "I told you I don't need your help." (What? When did that happen and why are you mad, bro? Did you want to get beat up?)

Seth: "I wasn't out there for you, I was out there for Joe." (You clearly understand Joe works there full time, you've jumped him backstage before, and surely you saw Roman standing in the ring before you came out?)

So bland, utter lack of continuity with their history, just a set up for Angle to say he's making the main event. They need to either put in a bit more effort, or not bother to have them say that crap at all.

Finn's closing segment was even worse, because he actually had more to say, unfortunately it brought us no closer to Finn's character, he essentially spent the entire show saying, "I'm a baby face, I wanna fight."

He has the exact same character as Seth Rollins does, an Irish accent is the only thing distinguishing him until they (hopefully) do something different using the Demon King. Hell, the only thing Roman's got going for his character is that he's mean, nasty, vicious, and vengeful, which makes him essentially Samoa Joe and only works because he started acting like that after he'd been a bland good guy and he's never betrayed a friend to show he's a bad guy, but it would hardly fly for two dudes they're trying to promote right now as good guys, so they're stuck with insipid top-face crap.

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Cena, punk, heyman, Bryan, miz etc were all heavily scripted and thrived in the environment

Every show on tv aside from sports is heavily scripted but its how you build your character around the script. Do you think the guy playing Sheldon in big bang understands a quarter of the stuff he is scripted to say..course not but he does it so well the audience believes the guy is a genius

·
Premium Member
12,031 Posts
Cena, punk heyman, Bryan, miz etc were all heavily scripted and thrived in the environment

Every show on tv aside from sports is heavily scripted but its how you build your character around the script. Do you think the guy playing Sheldon in big bang understands a quarter of the stuff he is scripted to say..course not but he does it so well the audience believes the guy is a genius
Punk has gone on record to say that when somebody brought him a script he didn't like he'd rip it up in their face because it didn't sound like how he'd speak.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cena, punk, heyman, Bryan, miz etc were all heavily scripted and thrived in the environment

First of all, Big Bang Theory. Ew.

Second, most of those guys had the gift of gab. Like Dean and Bray, they can pass off crap as sounding natural. But crap is still crap, I don't care how well Sheldon delivers a bad punch line. Delivery can't sell a bad joke, or a bad promo about fucking tator tots or whatever.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
NXT needs to ad promo training. Maybe they can do something like American Idol / The Voice where these guys have to give their promos and get judged by the likes of The Rock, Ric Flair, HHH, Jericho, etc. If they're good we get entertained. If their bad we get entertained by the judges verbally beating them down.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.