Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the amount of injuries sustained within the WWE, what is your stance on the health issues and well being of the wrestlers in the WWE? Do you think wrestlers should take more time off and that WWE should have wrestlers from developmental territories like FCW fill in for wrestlers that are injured?

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
WWE pay for the treatment of any injuries caused in a WWE ring, do health checks (ask MVP how he got diagnosed with his heart problems) and pay for drug rehab. They aren't getting time off, 'tis one of the points of being a pro wrestler. There is no off season.

and the guys in FCW are too damn green to take the place of established people. so No.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
A high percent of WWE employees are overworked, they also have to endure a near 300 day a year traveling schedule. They need to fight fitness and without a doubt there are drugs involved. They've gotta take bumps and bruises, alot of spots and moves will go wrong.

All of that being said if you're a wrestler that's been around in the '90s, such as Triple H / Undertaker, and you compare then to now, you will be incredibly grateful. WWE has absolutely come leaps and bounds when the subject is employee wellness.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Meh, could be worse. They could have been working in the 70s or 80s. Back then physical abuse and mental abuse was considered part of the job.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,907 Posts
WWE pay for the treatment of any injuries caused in a WWE ring, do health checks (ask MVP how he got diagnosed with his heart problems) and pay for drug rehab. They aren't getting time off, 'tis one of the points of being a pro wrestler. There is no off season.
In Japan promotions work shows in tours so they work every night or so for 3 weeks and then have a month or so off while working a rougher style and you rearly hear about major injuries and developed drug problems over there.

My point is that the roster is big enough that the WWE could develop a system where they say "Okay, Edge is on for the next 5 weeks and off for 3 weeks afterwords" as a way to give some guys time off (or at least keep them out of the ring) and potentially keep them healthier over time. Now I could understand whoever is holding the title this wouldn't work exactly because you need them on TV to sell angles/wrestle and whatnot but doesn't seem like that would be a horrible idea to me.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,975 Posts
Are drugs or the wrestling stunts themselves the main point for the health issues of wrestlers in the WWE?
its probably not having health insurance since they are label as independent contractors, but WWE does cover any injuries suffer within the company but anything outside is not(I think). A lot of these wrestlers know what they are getting themselves into and should take the necessary precautions to be healthy, and management as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pro wrestlers do have a demanding schedule, but none more so then a Wall Street yuppie in terms of hours worked. But pro wrestlers need to have the physical part up to par which is the big stressor.

I agree that there are so many superstars on the rosters that they can give time off to talent. It's the top talent that is hard to give time off to because that's what fans pay to see.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,907 Posts
It remains to be seen how WWE is going to do about guys who suffer long term health problems after they retire as well.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
They don't really have any health coverage unless they injure themselves in the WWE ring. Then Vince will pay for your surgery so he can get you back in the ring ASAP.

I believe that after the whole Benoit thing Vince started paying for rehab to anybody past or present that wanted it.

So they have come a long way in terms of health care to their workers but they still have a long way to go.

Maybe the next advance Vince makes will be before the next big wrestling tragedy.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
In Japan promotions work shows in tours so they work every night or so for 3 weeks and then have a month or so off while working a rougher style and you rearly hear about major injuries and developed drug problems over there.
Also because vertually nobody understands japanese in the western world so if there was a news report in the japanese equivalent of dirtsheets most people wouldn't hear about it. And also because few americans care about japanese wrestling so it's rarely reported.

My point is that the roster is big enough that the WWE could develop a system where they say "Okay, Edge is on for the next 5 weeks and off for 3 weeks afterwords" as a way to give some guys time off (or at least keep them out of the ring) and potentially keep them healthier over time. Now I could understand whoever is holding the title this wouldn't work exactly because you need them on TV to sell angles/wrestle and whatnot but doesn't seem like that would be a horrible idea to me.
Two problems. 1) it would screw with storylines. Why isn't the champ on Raw and skipping a PPV? Disrupts the ME scene and any storylines the champ was in would be subject to timetabling with his feudee. 2) There aren't enough draws in pro wrestling to make it work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Move more young guys up, give over worked wrestlers a break,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts