Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It really does annoy me that people go on saying "well *Insert Name Here* really deserves a World title run. Its a joke that they havent had their run"

Does everybody really need a world title run?? In my response NO.

WWE has changed so much, it used to be that the champion was the leader and face of the company (looking back at Hogan/Savage/Undertaker/Flair) but its been a long time since those days even the late 90's as far as the Rock/Austin/HHH but now who is there really??? No one.

In todays WWE it doesnt matter who is WWE/World Champion its now just there for a Gimmick not for any meaning. And this is were WWE has gone so wrong. If you think of the biggest names in wrestling history, they got so big because people saw them build and cared. could you imagine if Shawn Michaels was thrown in to Main Event in the 80's?? he would of failed BIG TIME! He only lasted because he was given time to mold himself and grow as a Tag and then after a big build and and break-up again as a solo wrestler.

WWE needs more respect for its titles - The IC / The US and the Tag titles is where the real growth and proof is shown. If WWE cared more about each title and what it represents then I think it would give the wrestlers better longterm shelf life as there could be a slower build so that each wrestler can develope with the audience!!!

Reactions: Whake

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I guess we only say that X needs a World Title shot because we would like to see our favorite Superstars BE at that top point.

But like you stated, it's meaning has gone down very, very much.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
It really does annoy me that people go on saying "well *Insert Name Here* really deserves a World title run. Its a joke that they havent had their run"

Does everybody really need a world title run?? In my response NO.

WWE has changed so much, it used to be that the champion was the leader and face of the company (looking back at Hogan/Savage/Undertaker/Flair) but its been a long time since those days even the late 90's as far as the Rock/Austin/HHH but now who is there really??? No one.

In todays WWE it doesnt matter who is WWE/World Champion its now just there for a Gimmick not for any meaning. And this is were WWE has gone so wrong. If you think of the biggest names in wrestling history, they got so big because people saw them build and cared. could you imagine if Shawn Michaels was thrown in to Main Event in the 80's?? he would of failed BIG TIME! He only lasted because he was given time to mold himself and grow as a Tag and then after a big build and and break-up again as a solo wrestler.

WWE needs more respect for its titles - The IC / The US and the Tag titles is where the real growth and proof is shown. If WWE cared more about each title and what it represents then I think it would give the wrestlers better longterm shelf life as there could be a slower build so that each wrestler can develope with the audience!!!
Exactly, if WWE cared more about the IC/US titles, many of us wouldn't be pushing for guys to be in the main event and WWE/World title scene. If guys like Cody, ADR, Swagger, Drew Masters, Kofi were activley in the IC title run instead of being thrown into random matches, or feuds, if they had a goal that wasn't just the World title, then there wouldn't be a need for them to enter the main event scene so early in their careers.

On Raw with Daniel Bryan as US champion, you have guys like Morrison, Ryder,Ted, Sheamus,Tyson Kidd, Gabriel, Slater, who should have a goal towards a title.

Some people might say it would be a step backwards for people like Sheamus and Swagger, but in their current position it would be a step forward, keeps them in the spotlight, more time to shine.

If WWE focused more on these two divisions then they would be able to properly build up proper WWE/World champions. If you look at guys like HBK, Bret, Edge, HHH, Eddie, Benoit, Jericho, they spend years in the IC/US title scene before being pushed into the main event, these are the guys that do better in the main event scene becasue of the experience, and that is why guys like Sheamus/Swagger fall back to midcard so fast.

WWE did a good job with The Miz, he was US champion for what feels like an entire year, other than that month Bret and R-Truth held it. He could have defended it more, but he was as close to a proper midcard champion WWE has had in years. Now on smackdown we have Ziggler doing a great job of putting himself over with the IC title, a guy who spent one year chasing the belt, finally gets it and is putting on some of the best matches in the WWE on any given night. I'm not sure Ziggler can transition as smoothly into the WWE/World title scene as easily as Miz did, but he is doing a great job as the IC champion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I still think there are certain wrestlers that deserve a run with the title, although I understand what you mean but wrestling has come a long way since the days of Hogan etc. It's still a massive feather in anyones cap to hold the title, I'm still gutted Regal hasn't held the title as of yet. He's a man that deserves a run with it IMO.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If WWE focused more on these two divisions then they would be able to properly build up proper WWE/World champions. If you look at guys like HBK, Bret, Edge, HHH, Eddie, Benoit, Jericho, they spend years in the IC/US title scene before being pushed into the main event, these are the guys that do better in the main event scene becasue of the experience, and that is why guys like Sheamus/Swagger fall back to midcard so fast.
Of the names you mentioned -
Bret Hart: Tag Division onto IC onto World
HBK: Tag Division onto IC onto World
HHH: IC (mid card for 4 years) onto World
Eddie: WCW Cruiserweight, onto IC/European for at least 3 years onto World
Edge:Tag Division onto IC onto World
Jericho:WCW Cruiserweight, onto IC/European onto World

There are so many like this that could go on and on - Even the rock was built around the IC title.

If it was done right you could have at least 10 wrestlers battling the Tag division, 4 wrestlers around the each mid card title (and then others backing it up to build those main fueds)
and then leave the main title to the top 4 on each brand.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still think there are certain wrestlers that deserve a run with the title, although I understand what you mean but wrestling has come a long way since the days of Hogan etc. It's still a massive feather in anyones cap to hold the title, I'm still gutted Regal hasn't held the title as of yet. He's a man that deserves a run with it IMO.
This is what I mean though - I love regal really do but for me I dont see him as a World title holder. He has great in-ring work (exceptional really) but he just doesnt have that BOOM personality that is needed to "Carry" the company. BUT he should of had the right Mid-card division around him to go down as one of the best IC champs ever. Thats where WWE has let him down.

·
Canuck
4,763 Posts
The only guy that could really benefit from a World Championship is Christian. He's on the brink. I think he'll win it off of Edge too.

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,418 Posts
I agree that everyone should have their eyes on the gold instead of getting distracted by stupidity. After winning the King of the Ring tournament, Sheamus should have immediately demanded a title shot against the Miz. Instead he’s right back where he was a month ago – in a playground spat with John friggin’ Morrison. Daniel Bryan should also be gunning for Miz. He stripped him of the US title so wouldn’t the WWE belt be a logical progression? Wade Barrett hasn’t even mentioned the title since Miz cashed in. It’s infuriating.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that everyone should have their eyes on the gold instead of getting distracted by stupidity. After winning the King of the Ring tournament, Sheamus should have immediately demanded a title shot against the Miz. Instead he’s right back where he was a month ago – in a playground spat with John friggin’ Morrison. Daniel Bryan should also be gunning for Miz. He stripped him of the US title so wouldn’t the WWE belt be a logical progression? Wade Barrett hasn’t even mentioned the title since Miz cashed in. It’s infuriating.
This makes NO sense!!! I am guessing you are a younger fan and dont remember the classic days and i dont mean the attitude era I mean the early 90's and earlier.
As everything you just said moves away from rebuilding each division. the point is the WWE/World title will always be seen as the "top" title but every other piece of gold is just as Important. and should be seen that way.

There needs to be seperate fueds to not everyone can challenge for the title. No it wouldnt be logical for Bryan to now fued with the Miz.
Sheamus winning King Of the Ring was a move forward - just poor development with keeping him fueding with Morrison. (& we all know why he won really - King Vs King of Kings!!!)
And Wade Barrett is still having to deal with Cena which is why he isnt gunning at the Miz (Again the Barrett Fued with fired Cena is poor story booking)

The Point is wrestlers deserve to be remembered as a great IC/US/Tag champion not a wrestler who never won the top gold!

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,418 Posts
No it wouldnt be logical for Bryan to now fued with the Miz.
Sheamus winning King Of the Ring was a move forward - just poor development with keeping him fueding with Morrison. (& we all know why he won really - King Vs King of Kings!!!)
And Wade Barrett is still having to deal with Cena which is why he isnt gunning at the Miz (Again the Barrett Fued with fired Cena is poor story booking)

The Point is wrestlers deserve to be remembered as a great IC/US/Tag champion not a wrestler who never won the top gold!
Wasn't the Ultimate Warrior (IC Champ) vs. Hulk Hogan (WWF Champ) one of the biggest, most anticipated matches of all time? How do you explain that one, mister?

And I'm not saying that Sheamus should get an immediate title shot. But at the very least he should mention the title to add to its prestige.

·
Canuck
4,763 Posts
In my opinion Sheamus should of held off on the 2 WWE Championship wins won the King of the Ring Tourny then win his first WWE Championship at Wrestlemania. By then he would be so built up he would look powerful like a Lesnar or a Undertaker. Plus the Championship wouldn't look like a prop and he would of had some strong feuds going on before winning the big one.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It's all about the amount of product the WWE puts out these days. We have 6 hrs of programming each week plus 14 PPVs per year. There are more good wrestlers on the roster than ever before. You have to have more titles and more title changes, thus their "value" will inevitably be curtailed. There was 5-6 guys that held the WWF Championship for the ENTIRE decade of the '80s. That would never work now, unless you want to go back to like 1 hour of WWE TV a week.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
While I believe that every championship should have its deserved meaning and competative circle of superstars around it...WWE is not just about the championships. Yes, the IC and US Titles need to be given back some of that prestige they use to have and be used as major stepping stones in the careers of up and comer superstars.

However, personal feuds are something that add a lot to the over all WWE product and are a fantastic way to move people out of the title picture that have been in for too long and cycle in fresh faces. Some of the greatest matches in the history of professional wrestling have not had anything to do with a championship.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wasn't the Ultimate Warrior (IC Champ) vs. Hulk Hogan (WWF Champ) one of the biggest, most anticipated matches of all time? How do you explain that one, mister?
What planet are you on?? Comparing Hogan Vs Warrior to Miz Vs Daniels - JOKE right??

Who else was around WWF main event at that time?? Exactly no-one! So WWE had to push somebody to the main event. Who do you push??? I know the person who would make the most money for the company..*walk in Warrior to the picture* (how many painted warrior faces would you see, how many t-shirts - How many Daniels t-shirts do you see??) this was done to promote Warrior to the main event.

Bryan Daniels is not World title build in WWE. He doesn't have that special star power quality (In-ring he is amazing-but not on the mic or look he is lacking somewhat) so it would therefore not warrent Daniels being pushed into the same role as what they did to warrior. Daniels in the Main Event having to cut promo's would kill him totally!

The Miz has the Mic and in-ring to carry the WWE Title where as Daniels fits the US title belt perfectly. Solid wrestling and great matches. And again up rises the point. It should be a amazing accomp;ishment for Daniels to be remembered as one of the best US title holders but the Belt means nothing which is therefore the issue.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's all about the amount of product the WWE puts out these days. We have 6 hrs of programming each week plus 14 PPVs per year. There are more good wrestlers on the roster than ever before. You have to have more titles and more title changes, thus their "value" will inevitably be curtailed. There was 5-6 guys that held the WWF Championship for the ENTIRE decade of the '80s. That would never work now, unless you want to go back to like 1 hour of WWE TV a week.
Of course it can work just has to be good programming! there maybe 6 hours of WWE but 2 hours for raw and 2 hours for SD so really that voids the point. Esecially as both programmes have their own belts.

There is not a issue of having both US and IC the issue is the way the fueds around the belts are built so poorly. And with there being more good rosters on the product than ever before as you say would it not make sense to build each title so that wrestlers on every level can credit from their position on the card!

WWE needs a solid Tag Division and not break up tag teams within 2 weeks. let wrestlers come in and have a good solid 1/2 years there if there is nothing else for them?? Let those who are getting over try and get there hands on the IC/US. and then let Orton/HHH/Jericho/Kane/Punk and such likes hold the Main Event picture together. and then as Punk gets Injured, Jerichos takes his break let those on the glass ceiling start coming through like the MIZ. but they cant be pushed to soon or they end up as a swagger and not as a HBK - they need to be built!!!

And as far as number of people that held the title since 2005 you have only had Cena, Orton, Edge, HHH, Sheamus,Hardy, Batista and now the Miz hold the title. and in reality Edge, Hardy and Batista then quickly changed to SD so do they really count?? So there is not many differences just that each title is a shorter reign which is due to poor booking and storylines rather than anything else.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Of course it can work just has to be good programming! there maybe 6 hours of WWE but 2 hours for raw and 2 hours for SD so really that voids the point. Esecially as both programmes have their own belts.

There is not a issue of having both US and IC the issue is the way the fueds around the belts are built so poorly. And with there being more good rosters on the product than ever before as you say would it not make sense to build each title so that wrestlers on every level can credit from their position on the card!

WWE needs a solid Tag Division and not break up tag teams within 2 weeks. let wrestlers come in and have a good solid 1/2 years there if there is nothing else for them?? Let those who are getting over try and get there hands on the IC/US. and then let Orton/HHH/Jericho/Kane/Punk and such likes hold the Main Event picture together. and then as Punk gets Injured, Jerichos takes his break let those on the glass ceiling start coming through like the MIZ. but they cant be pushed to soon or they end up as a swagger and not as a HBK - they need to be built!!!

And as far as number of people that held the title since 2005 you have only had Cena, Orton, Edge, HHH, Sheamus,Hardy, Batista and now the Miz hold the title. and in reality Edge, Hardy and Batista then quickly changed to SD so do they really count?? So there is not many differences just that each title is a shorter reign which is due to poor booking and storylines rather than anything else.
I will agree with you that WWE could do a better job booking the titles to make them feel more important. But I still think that a large part of the issue is just the amount of titles and title changes that we have nowadays. And that isn't going to change, because the audience is more demanding, and has a shorter attention span. And that's a phenomenon that goes way beyond wrestling, it's in the way our very society has evolved over the last 30 years. Globalization, the communication revolution, everything is much more fast paced. If you watch a wrestling match from the 1980s, it's like 20 minutes of headlocks, and if somebody does an irish whip the announcers go crazy.

So, it follows that if you have more titles/title changes in order to keep your audience satisfied, the value of your titles is going to decrease. It just has to, it's inflation.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
These days the World Championships are used to build credibility. Hence why you have Sheamus already having two title reigns, Swagger having a reign and Miz currently being champion. It's not about being credible and having the fans care about you before WWE gives you the title and runs with you at the top. Things have changed. In a way, I do dislike it. But I've kind of stopped caring.

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,418 Posts
What planet are you on?? Comparing Hogan Vs Warrior to Miz Vs Daniels - JOKE right??

Who else was around WWF main event at that time?? Exactly no-one! So WWE had to push somebody to the main event. Who do you push??? I know the person who would make the most money for the company..*walk in Warrior to the picture* (how many painted warrior faces would you see, how many t-shirts - How many Daniels t-shirts do you see??) this was done to promote Warrior to the main event.

Bryan Daniels is not World title build in WWE. He doesn't have that special star power quality (In-ring he is amazing-but not on the mic or look he is lacking somewhat) so it would therefore not warrent Daniels being pushed into the same role as what they did to warrior. Daniels in the Main Event having to cut promo's would kill him totally!

The Miz has the Mic and in-ring to carry the WWE Title where as Daniels fits the US title belt perfectly. Solid wrestling and great matches. And again up rises the point. It should be a amazing accomp;ishment for Daniels to be remembered as one of the best US title holders but the Belt means nothing which is therefore the issue.
Ok first of all - please stop being a condescending jackass. Thanks. I'll try to choose my words more carefully. My point was not that Sheamus and Bryan should be given world title shots. All I was trying to say was that they should be expressing an interest in getting a title shot to make the belt seem more important. As it stands now Orton appears to be the only one interested in the belt. Kayfabe speaking, Brian has already gotten the best of Miz (twice) so logically speaking he should be setting his sights on the big prize. Same with Sheamus. He just proved himself in the tournament and he should be using that momentum to get back into the main event. Why are you having such a hard time following this logic? :flip

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, it follows that if you have more titles/title changes in order to keep your audience satisfied, the value of your titles is going to decrease. It just has to, it's inflation.
The title changes happen so often because of storyline booking - Back when you would see Hogan Vs Sgt Slaughter on PPV so how was it possible to make a feud last 4-6months with ease. It is still possible today the fact is you just have to care about the story and the build. Which leads to..... is why debuting wrestling should have to earn the high ride than being thrown in. Let wrestlers come in and make a impact like sheamus did and then evaluate. Sheamus shouldnt of had a world title yet in my opinion. he should of had king of the ring and then started to build towards HHH (king of Kings - reason for feud), he then injures HHH and goes towards title but as he is getting close HHH returns and boom he has been kept towards the main event but without pointless title reigns.
Its about WWE looking at the big picture not the short fix.

These days the World Championships are used to build credibility. Hence why you have Sheamus already having two title reigns, Swagger having a reign and Miz currently being champion. It's not about being credible and having the fans care about you before WWE gives you the title and runs with you at the top. Things have changed. In a way, I do dislike it. But I've kind of stopped caring.
Debuting wrestlers should have to earn the high ride of a world title rather than being thrown in. Let wrestlers come in and make a impact like sheamus did and then evaluate. Sheamus shouldnt of had a world title yet in my opinion. he should of had king of the ring and then started to build towards HHH (king of Kings - reason for feud), he then injures HHH and goes towards title but as he is getting close HHH returns and boom he has been kept towards the main event but without pointless title reigns.
Its about WWE looking at the big picture not the short fix.

If WWE built characters first it would be a stronger program across the card!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts