Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is, without question, one of the greatest cartoons ever made. Awesome music, atmosphere, characters, etc. It has the coolest villain ever, magic, swords, etc.

Do you love this show?

·
We're all mad here....
958 Posts
This is just a random bit of trivial knowledge, but did you know that Battle Cat was just a re-painted tiger from an earlier Mattel toy line? Mattel (as well as other companies) would always find ways to reuse older molds for newer toys.

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

·
Premium Member
44,025 Posts
Along with Star Wars, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe was one of the first things I became a fan of and I have very fond memories of it.

I loved the show, the action figures made up probably the best toyline of my childhood (that and the Playmates TMNT), and Skeletor is one of my all time favorite characters.

I love the imagination, the designs, the blending of Sci-Fi and Fantasy, and as a kid, I loved the morals that He-Man and his friends dispensed to us. Corny yes, but young me ate it up.

I am amazed at the recent surge in nostalgia for the brand. I've seen so many documentaries (Check out Toys that Made Us and The Power of Grayskull, both on Netflix) and more and more commemorative toys and books are being released. Its pretty cool to see.

For my Youtube channel, I did a video listing my 20 favorite episodes of the original series, so here's that:

As for the Toys, I'll list my top 10 favorites from the original line:

1) Modulok and Multi-Bot (Combined form is called Megabeast) = I love the gimmick of being able to swap body parts every where and create all new monsters. And if you got both, you could mix them together. And if you got more than one of each, you could make your monsters bigger and more extravagant. I still have a Modulok and Multi-Bot with all their pieces, and I find they make great stress toys.

2) Skeletor = I mean...he's my guy. When I was younger, every time a new Skeletor got released, I had to have it. This also applies to the New Adventures line, and the 2002 line.

3) Trap Jaw = Holy Fuck this guy was awesome. He looked like a cyborg pirate and you could switch out weapons on his cyborg arm. His design translated very well to the cartoon, but the toy ranks among the best in the line, easily. On the good guy side of things, Roboto had a very similar gimmick but leaned 100% into the robot deal.

4) Castle Grayskull = The greatest playset of all time. It set the standard for all action figure playsets. And there were other great ones for sure. I loved The Technodrome, and Cobra's Terrordrome was a personal favorite too. And if you like the Hasbro WWF toys, the ring was a must. And even MOTU had some other high quality ones like Snake Mountain (which looked nothing like the cartoon, but was still flipping great to play with). However, nothing quite lives up to the joy I had playing with Castle Grayskull. It was the ultimate battle ground for all my MOTU stories.

5) Tung Lashor = The Snake Men were among the last toys released for MOTU, and this guy was my favorite of the bunch. He had a simple gimmick. His tongue could be rolled in and out of his mouth. Still it looked cool, and the figure looked awesome with a distinct purple color scheme and the tongue gimmick helped him stand out.

6) Thunder Punch He-Man = This variant of He-Man could have caps loaded into its back pack and executing its punching action would pop the cap and give off the impression of He-Man's punch being SUPER CHARGED! I freaking loved it! He-Man, Skeletor, and Hordak got several variants, but this one is my personal favorite. Also, being a fan of Thundercats as well, I liked to imagine that this He-Man was empowered by the Eye of Thundera...hence "Thunder Punch" He-Man.

7) Mosquitor = This member of the Evil Horde had a gimmick that any young boy would love: He's a mosquito that drains the blood from his enemies. Pushing a button on his back would fill up his chest with blood, creating the illusion that he was draining his victims. I'm actually shocked this thing got released considering how nuts parents could get, but he was one that I loved. I could never count how many times I had him kill Orko.

8) Dragstor = Another member of The Evil Horde has the ripcord action that allows him to roll across the floor like a sentient race car. Again, awesome.

9) Battlecat = He-Man and Battlecat go hand in hand together. You can't have one without the other. True, he wasn't pose-able, but to just have He-Man on the saddle of his bad ass steed was enough. And I have to say: He-Man on Battlecat looks AMAZING on a toy shelf.

10) Moss Man and Stinkor = These two were two sides of the same coin. In one sense, they were lazy as Moss Man and Stinkor were repaints of Beast Man and Mer Man respectively. However, they shared a very simple gimmick...they smelled funny! Being a tree man, Moss Man had kind of a Pine Sol type of smell, which was kind of pleasant, while Stinkor, being painted as a skunk, was designed to smell bad. Its a very simple and silly thing, but as a kid, I got a kick out of it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
When I was growing up I was addicted to this and the toys, which still look great btw. Rented the movie in 1988 and was severely disappointed. Then it was more or less replaced replaced by the Real Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtles.

These days I feel the He-Man cartoon is incredibly overrated and the MOTU movie is a criminally underrated fantasy adventure. Shame there is no special edition of that or deleted scenes available.

·
Premium Member
44,025 Posts
Frank Langella as Skeletor in the 87 film = AWESOME!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts