25,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Official Website: https://www.hbomax.com/

• $14.99 monthly/free for existing HBO subscribers
• Ad-supported version in 2021
• 10,000 hours of content at launch
• Human curation and advanced analytics
• 'Co-viewing' suggestions that don't affect your preferences

Miguel Sapochnik and Ryan Condal named show-runners on 'Game of Thrones' Targaryen prequel:
• 'House of the Dragon' series
• 10 episodes in S1
• Spans 131 years from Aegon's Conquest all the way to Dance of the Dragons, the Targaryen civil war

Greg Berlanti developing two DC Comics projects:
• 'Green Lantern' television series set in space
• 'Strange Adventures' anthology exploring 'characters from across the DC canon'

Adult Swim content:
• The Boondocks (+ 2 new seasons)
• Aqua Teen Hunger Force
• Robot Chicken
• Space Ghost Coast to Coast
• Samurai Jack

• 'South Park' exclusive streaming rights
• 'Joker' will stream exclusively + 40 years of Superman/Batman films
• ‘Doom Patrol’ Season 2
• New HBO shows — 'The Nevers,' 'Mare of Easttown,' and 'Gilded Age'
... and more!

HBO Max Sets Monthly Pricing, May 2020 Launch Date
Story: https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/hbo-max-price-launch-date-may-2020-1203387216/

HBO Max Will Offer Human Curation, Podcasts and Co-Viewing in Its Apps
Story: https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/hbo-max-podcasts-coviewing-human-curation-1203387597/

HBO Max is WarnerMedia’s direct-to-consumer offering debuting in spring 2020. With 10,000 hours of curated premium content anticipated at launch, HBO Max will offer powerhouse programming for everyone in the home, bringing together HBO, a robust slate of new original series, key third-party licensed programs and movies, and fan favorites from WarnerMedia’s rich library including Warner Bros., New Line, DC, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes and more.

All of HBO

Enjoy 45+ years of innovative storytelling with every episode of your favorite HBO series, plus award-winning documentaries and specials, and the latest Hollywood hits before any other service.

Select titles premiering in 2020.

Culture-defining TV

Keep up with fresh episodes from the latest addictive series or fall back in love with the iconic TV everyone is still talking about.

Premiering throughout 2020.

Blockbuster Movies & Classic Favorites

Get unlimited access to critically acclaimed films and cult classics from Warner Bros., DC, Studio Ghibli, New Line Cinema, and more.

Premiering throughout 2020.

Larger-than-life Characters

Spend quality time with your family's favorite characters—from big birds and rascally rabbits to superheroes and talking dogs—in the movies, series, and cartoons everyone enjoys.

Exciting Max Originals

Discover original series, movies, and specials from the world's most celebrated stars and creators. New titles premiere weekly throughout 2020, only on HBO Max.

LET THE STREAMING WARS COMMENCE!

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
Jesus Christ, that library will be fucking insane year one. It's featuring some hot IP that's sadly missing from the streaming world (as far as the premium platforms go). The only thing with WB compared to Netflix and Amazon is that; like Disney, WB owns 100% of that content so it's likely never going to rotate out in addition to original programming being produced with their top dogs.

Cinemax is conspicuously missing here.

Also I was hoping that HBO would replace Bloys with this, but that was wishful thinking.

Fatal fourway of WB vs Disney vs Netflix vs Amazon though let's go.
WB didn't just tell those three to hold it's beer, it gave them the deed to an entire fucking brewery to hold on to :dead3.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,912 Posts
These fuckers just don't get it, nobody is going to pay for more than 2 or 3 streaming services because then you're just paying for cable. Either that or they're going to to sign up just long enough to watch all your new shit, cancel, and then sign back up with Netflix. These companies are wasting 10s of millions of dollars on infrastructure for a service that's never going to have more than a couple million dedicated subscribers. Like have you ever met anyone with a CBS all access? Nobody I know even knows it exists.

Also, what about the people who have HBO Go and HBO Now, does this count as a third independent streaming service for HBO?

·
40,752 Posts
These fuckers just don't get it, nobody is going to pay for more than 2 or 3 streaming services because then you're just paying for cable. Either that or they're going to to sign up just long enough to watch all your new shit, cancel, and then sign back up with Netflix. These companies are wasting 10s of millions of dollars on infrastructure for a service that's never going to have more than a couple million dedicated subscribers. Like have you ever met anyone with a CBS all access? Nobody I know even knows it exists.

Also, what about the people who have HBO Go and HBO Now, does this count as a third independent streaming service for HBO?
I see WB and Disney being the ones that retain the subs, not Netflix.

I do not see a bright future for Netflix at all.

·
16,912 Posts
I see WB and Disney being the ones that retain the subs, not Netflix.

I do not see a bright future for Netflix at all.
Interesting. Care to expound on that? Disney, sure. You can stick the little bastards in front of it forever without worrying about MA content and parental locks. WB I could see sticking with film buffs because they have a century's worth of content in their catalog. But why wouldn't Netflix last? Their user base is 148M paid and the retention rate is 91%. As long as they keep pumping out quality original content faster than they lose licensing to other services, I don't see why they would lose people.

(I say this as a person who doesn't use Netflix so if they have app or streaming issues that drive down people's satisfaction I am unaware)

·
From parts unknown
23,185 Posts
They're all gonna compete with each other trying to get people to pay for 4-5 major services through "exclusive content" and then when millennials say "no more" pay newspapers to write articles about how Millennials are Killing Streaming Services to continue to shame an already underpaid, overworked and poverty stricken generation.

Capitalists: pay for my services, no wage raises, only pay, you are too poor, pay for my services, what do you mean you're too poor to pay for my services. Stop eating avocados!

·
40,752 Posts
Interesting. Care to expound on that? Disney, sure. You can stick the little bastards in front of it forever without worrying about MA content and parental locks. WB I could see sticking with film buffs because they have a century's worth of content in their catalog. But why wouldn't Netflix last? Their user base is 148M paid and the retention rate is 91%. As long as they keep pumping out quality original content faster than they lose licensing to other services, I don't see why they would lose people.

(I say this as a person who doesn't use Netflix so if they have app or streaming issues that drive down people's satisfaction I am unaware)
WB has a huge catalog that spans decades. Netflix has a catalog of questionable value that isn't even a decade old. Part of why people get Netflix is because of content they (netflix) don't own. They pay others to be able to stream it. Those others are calling in their content aka WB and Disney.

You do know that Netflix spends billions per year and loses money every year right?

If WB was just CBS then yeah sure. But WB has a catalog that rivals Disney's.

·
16,912 Posts
WB has a huge catalog that spans decades. Netflix has a catalog of questionable value that isn't even a decade old. Part of why people get Netflix is because of content they (netflix) don't own. They pay others to be able to stream it. Those others are calling in their content aka WB and Disney.

You do know that Netflix spends billions per year and loses money every year right?

If WB was just CBS then yeah sure. But WB has a catalog that rivals Disney's.
Yes, the way it was explained when I was watching one of those business news channels is Netflix is borrowing billions of dollars to grow their catalog and despite their massive profits, are content with only paying the interest for now.

I can definitely see the potential for that bubble to burst but their stocks are trading at $377 a share (up from $336 in January) and increasing every day, they must've told the shareholders something to keep that confidence especially since they aren't paying a dividend. I do see where you're coming from though, their growth has stalled in the US and they need 50M new users to offset every $10B in loans they take out.

·
40,752 Posts
Yes, the way it was explained when I was watching one of those business news channels is Netflix is borrowing billions of dollars to grow their catalog and despite their massive profits, are content with only paying the interest for now.

I can definitely see the potential for that bubble to burst but their stocks are trading at $377 a share (up from $336 in January) and increasing every day, they must've told the shareholders something to keep that confidence especially since they aren't paying a dividend. I do see where you're coming from though, their growth has stalled in the US and they need 50M new users to offset every $10B in loans they take out.
Netflix does a great job marketing. It's probably their greatest strength. It's one of the better marketing schemes of all time really. If they're going to survive then it'll be mostly because of that.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts
I thought I hated millennials then I remembered that I love avocados and avocado toast.

The streaming services are best served (oh!) with attaining people's subscriptions and convincing said subscribers that their content is persistently worthwhile, the way many of the previous generation became complacent with their cable. This competition may be a positive in that regard, but it is also true that an over-saturation could help lead to the continued excessive inflating of this Falstaffian bubble.

MrMr is right about Netflix's marketing, which is tremendous.

·
From parts unknown
23,185 Posts
I actually take back what I said about this being competition. It's more like mini monopolies and the impression of competition because rate setting is not based on anything except what the capitalist thinks the customer *should* pay not what the product is worth. It's mini monopolies.

If you're paying attention, you'll see that on streaming services every single movie, TV episode is individually priced at exactly the same rate (usually 2.99 per episode and 3.99 per movie) irrespective of production budget. Subscription services have no price rationale either. Netflix has increased its price from 7.99 to 15 while reducing the amount of content. A lot of content that Netflix includes in its library and charging for is available on several free to watch services.

There is no supply/demand economics at play here at all. It's all arbitrary and to me, that's inherently anti-consumer. :Shrug

·
Is a Snit Head
22,148 Posts
The way the competition with these companies will be interesting. Netflix has the lead by tens of millions in terms of subscribers. But Netflix got all of those subscribers using the content of all of these companies that are now branching off to do their own thing.

Netflix will end up being the company that has a lot of stuff that you don't know about. Usually when I watch something on Netflix I didn't know about it beforehand and watch it because it was recommended to me and looked interesting. All of these other companies are going to draw you in with the names that you know.

I'm curious how it turns out. My money is (literally) on Disney. I think they probably end up with the best package deal for everything (Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+). Also they have that whole theme park business that makes them billions of dollars every year to fund things.

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts
At the end of the day I think @MrMister; is right in this ultimately leading to WB vs Disney. Their library and the brands they have under their umbrella not only rival Disney in terms of content but also popularity. What's funny is each have their own edge against each other in that WB has a more teen/adult aimed market whereas Disney has the family/kid/pre-teen market. Things are going to get very interesting in the stream game within the next five years. While Netflix may be particularly fucked I wouldn't count Amazon out just yet. Unlike Netflix, they made Amazon Studios made it a point to have original content out of the gate & while it wasn't great at the start it's evolved into award winning level shit. So I think Amazon will be ok based on exclusives, but Netflix can't thrive on exclusives because most of the super popular original content came from outside sources. Maybe Netflix's legit in-house original content does better for them than I think, that I honestly don't know, but when you consider how much loss Netflix has had vs what they make I don't see how they can stay afloat taking on Disney as well as WB.

·
From parts unknown
23,185 Posts
At the end of the day I think @MrMister; is right in this ultimately leading to WB vs Disney. Their library and the brands they have under their umbrella not only rival Disney in terms of content but also popularity. What's funny is each have their own edge against each other in that WB has a more teen/adult aimed market whereas Disney has the family/kid/pre-teen market. Things are going to get very interesting in the stream game within the next five years. While Netflix may be particularly fucked I wouldn't count Amazon out just yet. Unlike Netflix, they made Amazon Studios made it a point to have original content out of the gate & while it wasn't great at the start it's evolved into award winning level shit. So I think Amazon will be ok based on exclusives, but Netflix can't thrive on exclusives because most of the super popular original content came from outside sources. Maybe Netflix's legit in-house original content does better for them than I think, that I honestly don't know, but when you consider how much loss Netflix has had vs what they make I don't see how they can stay afloat taking on Disney as well as WB.
Amazon Prime will remain its own entity because they have a constant source of funding even from people who aren't watching their stuff at all (and have probably never even browsed their library) unless they foolishly decide to charge extra for Prime Video. This is probably the best business model out of all of streaming services right now imo and most sustainable. Amazon has this other unique service where you can add-on different channels to your prime. So there's a pretty big possibility that they may eventually win the race over everyone. I would like to have all my subscriptions in one place, if I ever decided to go that route. Hey, it might even be beneficial for Netflix and Amazon to team up.

I have a very bad feeling that a lot of these companies will stop competing and create a cartel like situation where you can only get bundles like you do with Cable. HBO Max sounds like a bundling attempt to me already.

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,318 Posts
There's too many streaming services!!

You'll end up shelling out 100+ bucks a month just to watch TV. It's idiotic.

The prices aren't all that great either, they just keep raising the prices.

·
From parts unknown
23,185 Posts
There's too many streaming services!!

You'll end up shelling out 100+ bucks a month just to watch TV. It's idiotic.

The prices aren't all that great either, they just keep raising the prices.
More expensive now than cable if you want to watch everything available (including all originals) legally Let's see:

Netflix: 8 (if you don't get their HD which is just stupid)
Hulu: 6
Amazon: 9
CBS: 6
HBO Now: 15

I'm sure I've missed a few. Of course, if you're a gamer, then you have all the game-streaming services popping up as well. Most games are adopting a model of pay-to-play and eventually will move away from selling you actual copies of games and you just "rent" them.

None of these include Sports, News etc. So most people *have* to get at least basic Cable for sports. Which is usually 25-50 bucks.

We're already at around 69-70 bucks a month. And this doesn't include the cost of internet itself (usually about $60-100 bucks) and internet bandwidth for a lot of people who have to literally pick and choose how much they can stream (not everyone has unlimited plans).

It's getting to that tricky area where they want you to have all three: Cable, Streaming and the Internet and on top of that, they still have advertising revenue from traditional TV as well as expensive business contracts.

It's not gonna get any better, only worse imo. I think give or take a couple of years, the streaming landscape will be very different to what it is now - and a lot more people will start streaming illegally again.

They're killing themselves with their own greed :shrug:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts