Wrestling Forum banner

Which one would you pick?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetically, if both HBK and Bret are healthy both physically and mentally during the specific period that I just mentioned in the title. Which one would you choose?

HBK in Attitude Era (98-01) or Bret Hart in Ruthless Aggression Era (02-05)?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
HBK hands down. I love Bret Hart - but HBK is a lot more 'edgy' and he fits the Attitude Era perfectly. RA didn't really need Bret Hart - would be a cool add-on, but HBK a lot more impactful in the AE.

Attitude Era had a lot of big names like Taker, Foley, HHH, Jericho, etc. But at its core - the "top 2" were always Austin + Rock. I always envisioned that if HBK was around then, it instead would have been a top 3, with HBK on their level. He was absolutely fantastic in his role as leader of DX. I don't think he's ever given enough credit for that. Of course Austin was huge, Rock eventually, Vince/Bret screwjob and eventual Mr McMahon character - but to me HBK is really the one who got things started. I would have loved to see him continue that. And that's without even talking about the 'in-ring' aspect, where in my opinion HBK is the greatest performer of all-time.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Bret Hart without a doubt.

The Attitude Era was absolutely stacked, whereas the Ruthless Aggression Era suffered from losing Austin and Rock almost simultaneously. HBK would've been great, but the RAE would've benefited more from having another star like Bret than the AE would've with HBK, imo.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Bret could have had classics with Jericho, Mysterio, Angle, Guerrero, Brock, and any other name I missed. I think Bret would have needed to evolve his wrestling style by that point because I don't know if fans in 2003 would have the patience for the typical Bret Hart match.

The AE was perfect for Shawn, but he still would have been battling it out for the number 5 spot in the company behind Austin, Rock, Vince, and Foley. Then there still would have been Taker and prime Triple H to compete with.

·
The Babyface of WF
"What I've always wanted...A better world"
18,635 Posts
It was a sad time when Shawn had to hang it up after WM14 but a little while longer in the AE would have been perfect to me personally, Bret would have been a very strong hand in the RA Era easily with solid candidates par the course for Top notch quality matches.

I'm tempted to say Bret but I'll go with Shawn overall.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,786 Posts
Bret Hart during RA would be great to watch because then we'd get to see him wrestles the likes of Kurt Angle, Brock Lesnar, Eddie Guerrero, Triple H, and Edge. There are other feuds he could have but the potential of seeing Bret Hart in that era would be immense.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Drugged up ego mad Shawn would throw tantrums and make trouble any time he had to put over anyone who wasn't his buddy. No thanks.

I'll take Bret who would put on the best matches with no problem putting people over.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
That's a tough one.

Even though Michaels would've been a perfect fit for the AE, his backstage bs would've hurt a lot of the younger talent like Rock and Kurt. He might even have a bret hart type rivalry with Austin over the number one spot, which will lead to a big collision between the two.

Bret in the RA would've been great, but at this point, he would've been too old, I'm not sure if he would've been able to keep up with the Eddie's and the Kurt's and the Lesnar's.

It's hard to decide tbh.

·
it's a tarp!
7,050 Posts
Well as I was largely happy with the Attitude Era, I would leave that unchanged.

However anything that could improve Ruthless Aggression would be gladly welcome.

Bret Hart wins!
-By default.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I feel like Brett would help elevate the rising stars of the Ruthless Aggression era where as Michaels would almost certainly try to put himself front and center because this wouldn't be born again after hitting rock bottom RA Michaels this would be vacated multiple titles so he didn't have to lose them New Generation Michaels.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Shawn was still in his prime. Bret would be close to his mid 40s by then and its not the same as mid 40s today. But not gonna lie Bret on smackdown facing the likes of angle,lesnar,benoit and eddie would be sick so im still gonna go with him.

Shawn pretty much faced everyone from those years anyways and his layoff made his run in 02-10 more special.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts