Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here I sit in the early hours of the morning, unable to sleep and reading wrestling posts here in the wonderful world of WF.
Responding to another thread has got me thinking about character, or the character of Shawn Michaels in particular.

I've never liked the Heartbreak Kid. His cockiness, his fruity attire and a theme song that makes me wanna vomit every time I hear it. Heel or face, HBK is a preening, dancing, fawning, cocksucking prima donna.

And we're not even talking about how much of a dick he is/has been on a personal level. Horror stories abound about backstage shenanigans, let alone the Montreal Screw-job.

...All that stuff may be true (or not, depending on you POV).
But the man can wrestle.

I can always get into a Shawn Michaels match, even though I'm cheering the other man and enjoying every second of watching HBK get the crap kicked out of him. He sells it all so well, I feel his pain when he's receiving and I believe he's capable of going toe-to-toe with Vader or Taker when he's on offense. I even enjoyed the match with Hogan including the over-sellousness and it was probably one of the only times I've ever found myself cheering for HBK, over 'ol snagglepuss'.

In this light, is the HBK character (which I hate) one of the greatest characters ever? For one of the greatest wrestlers ever? I hate him, but in the best way one could possibly hate someone in this industry. I would always lay down my hard-earned dollar to watch Michaels perform.

G.O.A.T.? Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
No, Rock/Austin/Hogan/Taker/Flair are bigger than him and Angle/Benoit are better wrestlers than him.
"HBK is the GOAT" is just a WWE machine slogan, just like Cena.

i'm a big fan BTW.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
HBK was my favorite wrestler as a kid, so I might be a tad biased. In my opinion, Shawn Michaels is greatest superstar to ever set foot in the ring. The way he comes down the ring in his colorful ring attire and spectacular entrances cement in history as one of the greatest entertainers of all time. His over the top selling and comeback of 'tuning up the band' always gets fans excited.

...however, if we are talking about greatest wrestler of all time, then I would have to disagree. The guy has nothing on guys like Misawa, Kobashi, Hart and Funk. But in all fairness, you could be the greatest wrestler in the world and fail to break out in the WWE. That's because WWE is entertainment and epic wrestling are only a plus if you have character. HBK had one of the best characters in all of WWE and amazing in-ring.

tl;dr, HBK is the best entertainer of all time, but even though he's a great wrestler, there are many above him in pure wrestling skills.

·
Registered
326 Posts
LOL....uh NO. Pro Wrestling is and always will be a business and a work. If you aren't drawing money, you can't be the GOAT, don't care how good you are in ring. HBK was champ during one of the lowest drawing eras EVER, and I don't care what the excuse. I would put him in the top 10 of people I've got to see with my own eyes.

1. Hogan
2. Austin
3. Rock
4. Flair
5. Andre

and that's without getting to see guys like Bruno, Gorgeous George, Buddy Rogers and lou Thesz

·
Registered
249 Posts
Funny thing is when wrestler's retire/die people are quick to jump on their dick but with HBK, after like 4 months of him retiring, everyone is calling him overrated and such.

I think HBK Is a great wrestler, top 5 for me. Think of all the **** + matches he gave us. Despite his personality, he's one of the best.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
OK, so apparently the subtle approach doesn't work. Particularly if posters don't read the OP.

This was neither an argument for nor against HBK's GOAT status. But rather a commentary on character and how it adds to the enjoyment of the product.
Hating a character in the wrestling industry can be a good thing. This same philosophy can be applied to current guys like Cena or Orton (whom I like, but seems to get a lot of hate around here).

·
Registered
616 Posts
HBK is the greatest in ring performer of all time, no doubt. Like it or hate him, each match you can actually get into his head. You can feel the emotion and all.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Austin is the greatest of all time. Michaels was great in the ring (not the best), below average on the mic, didn't draw and had an unappealing character.
Maybe so, but would you have thought a beer swilling redneck would become the greatest superstar of all time? or that a big guy who wears crappy make up and pretends to be dead would be one of the most liked, respected and recognisable guys in WWE history? I'd say both of those are pretty crappy characters, yet they're two of the best ever to come out of the WWE.

I'd put Michaels in the same boat, he had a pretty boring character, but managed to make himself a legend despite it. even if hes not THE greatest of all time, presonally I'd say he's right up there.

·
Asuka
96,466 Posts
Maybe so, but would you have thought a beer swilling redneck would become the greatest superstar of all time? or that a big guy who wears crappy make up and pretends to be dead would be one of the most liked, respected and recognisable guys in WWE history? I'd say both of those are pretty crappy characters, yet they're two of the best ever to come out of the WWE.

I'd put Michaels in the same boat, he had a pretty boring character, but managed to make himself a legend despite it. even if hes not THE greatest of all time, presonally I'd say he's right up there.
No, I wouldn't have thought that, but you know what? They MADE their characters appealing, which is a credit to Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Undertaker, who have had immensely more interesting careers than Shawn Michaels could ever conjure up if his prime lasted a century. He didn't make his appealing, least I don't think he did. I never wanted to see him do anything but wrestle cause that's all he's good at. And I'll give him credit for being charismatic, but for whatever reason, that didn't translate over to entertainment on the character or promo side regardless.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
People who don't follow wrestling don't even know who HBK is. But everybody knows Hogan, Austin, Rock.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts