Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ok, I wanted to get people's vibes on this on a whole, about an underdog winning the Rumble, instead of someone predictable (IE a main eventer) ... it's not like it's not possible because it could be a way to elevate a new talent into the main event picture also (something we need right now, fresh faces in the main event).

I'm talking like a mid card talent, say Cody Rhodes, Wade Barret, Dolph Ziggler, The Miz, Curtis Axel, Christian ... someone along those lines ... other than the expected in Punk, Cena, Ryback, Bryan etc...

Now, I know that this is unlikely, but I would LOVE to see one of The Shield members get this, preferably Dean Ambrose ... I know that unless The Shield are disbanding, it's highly unlikely .. unless of course, one of the guys winning the rumble is what starts the breakup of The Shield, now that Reigns and Rollins have lost the Tag Team belts, it could be coming up sometime soon.

So what are your thoughts on this, I put a very brief response in the Big Show thread about this, which got me thinking about it more, and wanting to hear what you guys thought in regards to this?

We know it's probably going to be someone along the lines of Punk, Ryback, Cena ... but who knows, this time last year Daniel Bryan wasn't in the main event picture, so they're always putting someone fresh into the main event at times, but again, I'd like to know what YOU would like to see (NOT what you think/predict but what you'd LIKE to see in regards to the Rumble winner).

Thoughts please, I thought this could be quite interesting :)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Last two times they had new comers win the Rumble, they were flops. Mostly because they expected the Rumble itself to make them stars. This did massive damage to the Rumble's prestige imo. Take a guy who's over but needs that extra push to become an established main eventer like Punk and Cena. Bryan is an excellent candidate, if they give him a gimmick tweak. This goofy guy yelling YES!! over and over is never going to become established the same way as Punk, Cena, Austin, etc.

·
Still searching
4,391 Posts
As much as I'd like a less-than-main-event winner, I can't see it happening this year.

What I would like with the Shield though is a portion of the rumble where they are the only three standing and Rollins and Ambrose wait in the ring for new entrants to come down to face them, only to get speared by reigns who was hiding at ringside (rolled under the bottom rope) and throw in to be thrown out again.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was actually really looking forward to The Shield in last years Rumble, but they weren't in it, mainly to see how they dominated throughout it, hopefully they'll be included in this years, which I'm sure they will :)

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
As much as I like the idea of Punk or Bryan or one of the dudes from the Shield winning.....Cody or Dolph winning would be badass.

I have a soft spot for Kane winning it someday as well as he has performed in Rumbles past.

Was anyone else shocked when Pegasus and Rey won the Rumble? I was like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As much as I like the idea of Punk or Bryan or one of the dudes from the Shield winning.....Cody or Dolph winning would be badass.

Was anyone else shocked when Pegasus and Rey won the Rumble? I was like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Yeah, you don't want to always stick to the main one's to winning it anyway.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My view on the Rumble more generally is that it's one of the few things left in the WWE to still hold any real prestige. You can talk about the history of titles for example as featuring some utter shite (particularly the WHC) but you can't really say that about the Rumble outwith maybe the first couple of winners and a couple of the more recent ones.

So if they're going to go with an underdog/midcarder I reckon it's GOT to be someone they have absolute faith in as being a major star in future. It would be a big gamble, but you've mentioned the Shield and I reckon all three of them will go on to big things, so I'd not be unhappy with either of them (particularly Reigns).

Still reckon it'll be Punk or Bryan though.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My view on the Rumble more generally is that it's one of the few things left in the WWE to still hold any real prestige. You can talk about the history of titles for example as featuring some utter shite (particularly the WHC) but you can't really say that about the Rumble outwith maybe the first couple of winners and a couple of the more recent ones.

So if they're going to go with an underdog/midcarder I reckon it's GOT to be someone they have absolute faith in as being a major star in future. It would be a big gamble, but you've mentioned the Shield and I reckon all three of them will go on to big things, so I'd not be unhappy with either of them (particularly Reigns).

Still reckon it'll be Punk or Bryan though.
Yeah, I totally agree with what you say about the rumble, but like I mentioned in the OP, regardless of who people THINK will win it/get it etc.... I'd like to hear more about what you would LIKE to see happen, be it the predictable win or the underdog win etc.. :)

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
^^Agreed.

If I had to take Punk & Bryan or the field for the Rumble winner I'd reckon I take Punk/Bryan.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

I have a soft spot for Kane winning it someday as well as he has performed in Rumbles past.

Was anyone else shocked when Pegasusand Rey won the Rumble? I was like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
LOL, had to google it :lol

I think Punk and Bryan have the biggest chances of winning, but knowing WWE that probably means they aren't going to win.

It´s really too soon to tell, there are a lot of guys right now that might or might not be at Wrestlemania: Hogan, Austin, Rock, Goldberg, Y2J, HBK even Taker with so many injuries is not a sure thing. I don't even think WWE has a clear picture right now of what their WM card is going to be.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I think you're right about the Mania thing, it's interesting none the less :)

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
I would Structure the rumble match around Bryan in a similar blueprint to Austin in 98. Have Bryan overcome the odds (no cena pun intended) to earn back his wwe title shot that triple h can use his tyrant powers to revoke Bryan of number one contender contention hence making his road that much harder. . While Bryan is in the rumble path have CM Punk creep back into the title picture yet have bryan win the rumble against great adversity. I understand it can be dangerous to use valuable boosting resources like the royal rumble on an an already established guy in Bryan especially if Bryan's flame wains, but I think that Bryan is a sure thing as far as being a near future flagship carrier for the WWE. I believe it is absolutely imperative to have Bryan finally get his ultimate payoff at mania to conclude this massive storyline and go into the next year with Bryan as the primary guy, As long as the payoff is at mania 30 and Brian closes a milestone wrestlemania with a strap and the yes chants his stardom will go to new heights.

Having an underdog win the rumble in theory would seem like a good idea seeing how we have plenty of talented guys on the roster who could really use the credibility winning the rumble provides, but I feel like right now WWE has put so much into making bryan the next flagship guy, he clearly has the crowd on his side, and the big regime vs WWE and Bryan storyline needs to go in the right direction and the program needs to be centered on Bryan right now. I don't feel like there is another option. Punk can be inserted into the main event title scene without going through the rumble, however with the way Bryan is set up as the underdog who the regime is throwing anything at to slow down, I don't think Bryan can just limp into the wm title scene without a rumble win.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts