Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A mental illness is a condition like schizophrenia, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder, etc.

A person with schizophrenia may experience hallucinations, rather visual, audible, etc. Depression I'm pretty sure means the person often feels depressed for no reason. Obsessive compulsive disorder can involve a person performing an action repeatedly, in order to prevent something completely unrelated (i.e., opening and closing your refrigerator a certain number of times, in order to prevent a car crash). Panic disorder causes panic attacks, which are sudden feelings of panic when there is no danger.

Mental illness is like "the voices are telling me" type of thing, or what regular society refers to as "crazy". Have you ever met someone with a mental illness?

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
Every time I come to wrestlingforum.com :trolldog

·
Registered
904 Posts
As someone that works in the area of psychiatry I come across many, many people with these difficulties. That said I also find there are huge numbers of 'worried well' or self-diagnosed mentally ill people who frankly wouldn't know a mental illness if it bit them on the arse.

From my experiences I tend to find the follow:

'I like cleaning therefore I have OCD' types drive me bonkers. No, no, no! Most OCD types can't leave the house and often end up severely impaired. If you can hold down a job sufficiently, if it doesn't impact your life and relationships... its probably just liking a bit of order.

'I hear voices - but they are inside my head' types are the ones that can't stand having 'horrible' thoughts so say they hear 'voices' to make it a bit more palatable. As a rule schizophrenia or psychosis is fairly rare and not something you see every day even within psychiatric services.

'Life is shit therefore I am unhappy' types are classic. Lost a loved one? Can't pay the rent? Life is full of suffering? Yes you are unhappy but depressed? Lets not get ahead of outselves.

'I have failed in life therefore I must have ADHD/Autism/add other obscure diagnosis' types love coming into a service when they hit 50 and have bad relationships, poor performance at work and general malaise. These don't normally get through the door to begin with.

'I have suicidal thoughts therefore I must be depressed' types are often the ones that get cited in the news when they end up harming themselves. No, you don't have to have clinical depression to feel life isn't worth living. Sometimes life is shit.

Whilst I encourage people to seek help for GENUINE mental health problems the majority have mild, life stress related unhappiness that are not clinically qualifiable for a diagnosis. Most GPs diagnose to get people out of the door.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
If depression counts... then who hasn't?

As for a less widespread issue: yes. A few that were "natural" and one that was induced by a severe head injury. It can be extremely frustrating to deal with on a day to day basic.

·
Lock Villager
3 Posts
"Depression I'm pretty sure means the person often feels depressed for no reason"

Great definition! Fantastic! Crazy people? Never heard of them. I only associate myself with the sane and hang out with normies. Which happens to be everyone I know :)

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
A mental illness is a condition like schizophrenia, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder, etc.

A person with schizophrenia may often experience hallucinations, rather visual, audible, etc. Depression I'm pretty sure means the person often feels depressed for no reason. Obsessive compulsive disorder can involve a person often performing a certain action repeatedly, in order to prevent something completely unrelated (i.e., opening and closing your refrigerator a certain number of times, in order to prevent a car crash). Panic disorder causes panic attacks, which are sudden feelings of panic when there is no danger.

Mental illness is like "the voices are telling me" type of thing, or what regular society refers to as "crazy". Have you ever met someone with a mental illness?
Impressive knowledge, sounds like you have a couple of PHDs?

·
Banned
37 Posts
Honesty I don't even think or at very least have my doubts whether mental illness even exists , I think the whole thing is hoax

Technically speaking a doctor can diagnose anyone and everyone with a "mental illness" after a drug overdoes about 10 years I spent a little bit of time in a psych ward and 95 percent of the people were completely normal average everyday people , were some extremely doped up on pills sure although still normal everyday people, some kind of weird and possible mental retardation of course but "mentally ill" I don't think so like I said I think the whole thing is a hoax

After the psych ward I was somewhat forced to go to drug rehab another giant scam right there as well but that's another story for another time

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Of course I have. But I just didn't know their condition. It's not like it's something visible most of the time like someone being in a wheelchair or having a skin disease.

That being said, I don't think any of my friends or from my family has been diagnosed with a mental illness.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts