Wrestling Forum banner

Have TNA shot themselves in the foot yet again ???

10188 Views 116 Replies 76 Participants Last post by  Nuglet McJunior
Credit: The Wrestling Observer

TNA is really screwed as of right now as they had plans in place for a Main Event Mafia return storyline. There is also a lesson to be learned here as you don't promote a major storyline and then worry about getting the guys for the angle signed to contracts at the last minute. Booker T and Kevin Nash had both been penciled in to be at the Monday TNA iMPACT! tapings to further the "They" storyline. This makes the Monday TV taping interesting as the only former Main Event Mafia member they can now bring in is Sting. They'll obviously need to figure something out this weekend

I'm kind of torn over this because i am quite happy to see Kevin Nash and Booker T staying off of tv TNA payroll as that money can be invested in X Division or Tag Team star's instead from places like AAA or ROH but on the other hand if TNA were planning on bringing The Main Event Mafia back for February 3rd then doing it without Kevin Nash and Booker T doesn't really work. I know that Samoa Joe was also a part of the group towards the end but he didn't really fit and is now involved in probably the only good storyline in TNA against The Pope which TNA shouldn't just end so that Samoa Joe could join The Main Event Mafia.

This though yet again show's just how crazy TNA's booking team is because they are trying to push through a storyline without three people in Kevin Nash, Booker T and Sting without even being contracted to the company and in the knowledge that WWE are on great terms with Kevin Nash and Booker T whilst WWE would probably love to have Sting if only for a short time. Surely TNA's booking team should have held off on the storyline until they had agreed terms and re-signed the three men but now they have left themselves in limbo and shot themselves in the foot because the Impact tapings are tomorrow.

I guess this could be a great way for TNA to turn AJ Styles back to face and have him join The Main Event Mafia which would consist of Kurt Angle, Sting, Scott Steiner and AJ Styles up against Immortal but outside of that i just don't see where TNA can possibly go and if i'm honest i'm quite concerned because TNA don't pull great swerves or alternatives in their storylines because of a weak booking team. The whole point of this was surely to have the original Main Event Mafia return which would make complete sense seeing how Kevin Nash and Sting turned Immortal down and were against them going into Bound For Glory and then also Kurt Angle because he was screwed at the same PPV but now without Kevin Nash and Booker T it is a bot up in the air.
21 - 40 of 117 Posts

· Registered
4,034 Posts
I think you are missing what the whole point of The Main Event Mafia was about as they were all veterans who had been World champion's in the past and were not giving their spot's up but now people are talking about people who are not even main event wrestler's let alone former World champions and which goes against everything the group were about in the first place. If they are going to start giving spot's in the group to younger wrestler's who have either been buried in the last year or not yet established then they might as well be called The Mid Card Mafia.

I am not saying that i was overly looking forward to Kevin Nash and Booker T coming back to join the group because i don't particularly want the group back at all but if they bring back the stable then you have to have the original stable or at least the majority of it. Can you imagine if WWE would have brought in The New World Order with Hogan, Scott Norton and Buff Bagwell rather than what they did bring back and think how their next incarnation of that group in WWE was, then think about how The Four Horsemen were with Steve McMichael, Chris Benoit and Jeff Jarrett which never worked either.
But MEM mainly is - Sting, Angle. Steiner is a good bonus.
And again, TNA never said "MEM is coming back!".

· The Mouth of Madness!
12,375 Posts
On paper it seems to have been pointing the gun down. But I honestly think they knew things could fall through.

All they need is to have Angle cut a promo that Steiner, Crimson, RVD and Kennedy are gonna stand up and fight. Now we have Immortal's 14 vs. 5. Now that's off, but then you add the fact that, Gunner/Murphy/Terry can be taken out, AJ is about to turn and you now have 10 vs. 5, 6 if AJ joins Angle. Hell maybe down the line you get the Guns in because Beer Money have the straps, now it's 8 to 10.

All in all, this could be Frontline vs MEM done right. Which in turn would be New Blood vs. Millionaire's Club done right, which in turn would fulfill an 11 year old prohecy that wCw would return!!!!!

· Registered
12,669 Posts
Instead of a MEM return they should make a new stable to get rid of Immortal. It makes perfect sense imo. Have Steiner,Angle and a couple other guys to fit the group. Have Anderson and Morgan as part of it because they're also fueding with Immortal as well. It can work , just have guys who have one common goal ...to get rid of immortal

· Registered
2,838 Posts
I think its simple. New MEM should consist of: Angle, Sting, Steiner, Joe, Morgen and Crimson. Others to possibly join are RVD , AJ Styles (face turn) or even Desmond Wolfe.

If you think bout it, Could be a pretty badass group

As much as sting sucked during his hast run, they need him now, bad. They absolutely shot themselves in the foot here, especially by blowing their wad w/ steiner a week early. If they had just waited one week, they would have had at least one new guy to debut that wasn't with the company, and if they had to round out the group with guys who were already there it would have been ok. Got to be honest though, i kind of hope sting fucks them over and goes to WWE too, they need to stop planning storylines around unsigned talent. This isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened.

· FOTC
12,784 Posts
There's an old rule in wrestling: never promise the fans something and fail to deliver. Technically, TNA never promised or promoted to the fans that the Main Event Mafia would be returning. So if they changed the storyline I don't think it would be a big deal. Let's be honest here: was bringing back Nash and Booker going to have a make-or-break impact on TNA? Probably not.

This is TNA's chance to give the MEM a younger, more exiting look. AJ Styles and Samoa Joe are Main event players, and Matt Morgan has had that carrot dangled in front of him long enough!

· Registered
3,614 Posts
Had they come out and said that the Main Event Mafia was indeed returning, without having Nash and Booker signed then yes that would have been TNA shooting themselves in the foot but really they never said anything official about it, it was all speculation. If they can still sign Sting, that should be great plenty. Angle, Sting, Steiner, Joe, Morgan, Crimson, that's not a bad group right there. Plus it gives some of the younger guys a chance, instead of focusing all on the older veterans, isn't that important?

· also known as a BUSTER
13,290 Posts
It's a blessing in disguise, for TNA, because now they'll have to do something creative, for once, and don't have as many old washed-up guys to spam with...

...but yes OP, it is amateur hour again.

· Registered
2,064 Posts
Upgrade Nash & Booker to RVD & Anderson while promoting Crimson in the process.

A new and improved MEM just like that.

Kinda glad Booker & Nash arent coming back, not only does it keep them off of my television it also gives me a reason to read the Royal Rumble live coverage just to see if Kevin Nash can actually take an over the rope bump at this point in his career.

Great news for TNA. RVD & Anderson are more than capable to step right into the MEM.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
But MEM mainly is - Sting, Angle. Steiner is a good bonus.
And again, TNA never said "MEM is coming back!".
As someone else said in an earlier post TNA made it very obvious to everyone that "They" were going to be The Main Event Mafia with little subtle hints like Crimson wearing a suit and saying he was "made an offer he couldn't refuse" or Scott Steiner returning in a suit to help Kurt Angle, then there are the reports from around the time the tapings were done a few weeks ago that TNA were bringing the group back to feud with Immortal. No TNA didn't promote the return as such of The Main Event Mafia but this isn't 1992 in which there was no internet and no links to what goes on backstage and i think everyone who use's wrestling sites knew that TNA were planning on bringing back that group.

What TNA were obviously hoping to do was to tease us with the return of Scott Steiner as the start and then on the February 3rd show have the whole group return and although they have promoted as such it is very clear that was the plan. What TNA do is leave clues and hints and go with shock value for their "surprises" which is why they never as such promoted the arrival of Paul Heyman although everyone knew it was him they were talking about and they never promoted Matt Hardy either because they believe that surprise is better than promotion.

There's an old rule in wrestling: never promise the fans something and fail to deliver. Technically, TNA never promised or promoted to the fans that the Main Event Mafia would be returning. So if they changed the storyline I don't think it would be a big deal. Let's be honest here: was bringing back Nash and Booker going to have a make-or-break impact on TNA? Probably not.

This is TNA's chance to give the MEM a younger, more exiting look. AJ Styles and Samoa Joe are Main event players, and Matt Morgan has had that carrot dangled in front of him long enough!
Bringing in AJ Styles and Samoa Joe come in to join Sting, Kurt Angle and Scott Steiner in The Main Event Mafia would be the only real way that TNA could get away with not re-signing Kevin Nash and Booker T before going ahead with the storyline because they are both former World champions but the plus is that they are TNA originals as well which is better for TNA long term. The only downside on Samoa Joe joining though would be that it would mean Samoa Joe switching his attentions to Immortal rather than The Pope which right now is the best thing in TNA now that Styles/Williams has seemingly finished but the upside in AJ Styles turning back face i guess would cover that.

· Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,016 Posts
I actually think it's a blessing in disguise, I really didn't want Nash or Booker T back as full time guys anyway. Plus they never actually promoted the MEM on TV, Steiner came back in a suit but they never mentioned the group itself.

Now they can take Angle, Steiner, and Sting or whoever and have them in a group with guys like Crimson, Morgan, Anderson, Joe, AJ, etc. and actually let them get over taking out Immortal.

· Registered
988 Posts
To be honest, I'm so tired of the current TNA storyline I hope Booker, Nash, and Sting show up in WWE. Im a big Sting fan and have always supported his anti WWE kind of history, but I'm so ready for him to get the recognition he deserves and would love a quick WWE run and retirment. I know it will never happen, but TNA will never be able to give him anymore than they have already.

· Registered
10,462 Posts
TNA only has themselves to blame for this. They should have signed them before starting to go through with this storyline. Once again, poor decision making on TNA's part.

· also known as a BUSTER
13,290 Posts
Honestly, I'm so glad some people on here don't book wrestling promotions...:no:

I FINK WE SHUD HAVE A MAIN EVENT MAFFIA WITH RVD KEN ANDERSON TEH UNDERTAKER TOMMKO AND SHANNEN MOORE IT WUD BE AWESOME AND DEN DEY CUD HAVE EN ULTIMET X MATCH WIV TEH JERSY SHORE PEEPUL

· Registered
3,873 Posts
What TNA do is leave clues and hints and go with shock value for their "surprises" which is why they never as such promoted the arrival of Paul Heyman although everyone knew it was him they were talking about and they never promoted Matt Hardy either because they believe that surprise is better than promotion.
Except, TNA (or rather Dixie Carter) said that "change was coming" but it went nowhere. I'm still waiting for the announcement that'll change everything. At least Dixie could bullshit by saying that it was Impact going on the road or something.

21 - 40 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.