Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Credit: The Wrestling Observer

TNA is really screwed as of right now as they had plans in place for a Main Event Mafia return storyline. There is also a lesson to be learned here as you don't promote a major storyline and then worry about getting the guys for the angle signed to contracts at the last minute. Booker T and Kevin Nash had both been penciled in to be at the Monday TNA iMPACT! tapings to further the "They" storyline. This makes the Monday TV taping interesting as the only former Main Event Mafia member they can now bring in is Sting. They'll obviously need to figure something out this weekend

I'm kind of torn over this because i am quite happy to see Kevin Nash and Booker T staying off of tv TNA payroll as that money can be invested in X Division or Tag Team star's instead from places like AAA or ROH but on the other hand if TNA were planning on bringing The Main Event Mafia back for February 3rd then doing it without Kevin Nash and Booker T doesn't really work. I know that Samoa Joe was also a part of the group towards the end but he didn't really fit and is now involved in probably the only good storyline in TNA against The Pope which TNA shouldn't just end so that Samoa Joe could join The Main Event Mafia.

This though yet again show's just how crazy TNA's booking team is because they are trying to push through a storyline without three people in Kevin Nash, Booker T and Sting without even being contracted to the company and in the knowledge that WWE are on great terms with Kevin Nash and Booker T whilst WWE would probably love to have Sting if only for a short time. Surely TNA's booking team should have held off on the storyline until they had agreed terms and re-signed the three men but now they have left themselves in limbo and shot themselves in the foot because the Impact tapings are tomorrow.

I guess this could be a great way for TNA to turn AJ Styles back to face and have him join The Main Event Mafia which would consist of Kurt Angle, Sting, Scott Steiner and AJ Styles up against Immortal but outside of that i just don't see where TNA can possibly go and if i'm honest i'm quite concerned because TNA don't pull great swerves or alternatives in their storylines because of a weak booking team. The whole point of this was surely to have the original Main Event Mafia return which would make complete sense seeing how Kevin Nash and Sting turned Immortal down and were against them going into Bound For Glory and then also Kurt Angle because he was screwed at the same PPV but now without Kevin Nash and Booker T it is a bot up in the air.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe I'm one of the few who actually likes this news. This will be much more refreshing without Nash, Booker and hell maybe even Sting. Theres more than enough talent left to fill their void.
i think this could work out to be a great opportunity for TNA to mix some veterans with tna originals and crimson. Instead of Nash and Booker TNA could look at some tna originals they sent home and bring them back where they belong.
I think you are missing what the whole point of The Main Event Mafia was about as they were all veterans who had been World champion's in the past and were not giving their spot's up but now people are talking about people who are not even main event wrestler's let alone former World champions and which goes against everything the group were about in the first place. If they are going to start giving spot's in the group to younger wrestler's who have either been buried in the last year or not yet established then they might as well be called The Mid Card Mafia.

I am not saying that i was overly looking forward to Kevin Nash and Booker T coming back to join the group because i don't particularly want the group back at all but if they bring back the stable then you have to have the original stable or at least the majority of it. Can you imagine if WWE would have brought in The New World Order with Hogan, Scott Norton and Buff Bagwell rather than what they did bring back and think how their next incarnation of that group in WWE was, then think about how The Four Horsemen were with Steve McMichael, Chris Benoit and Jeff Jarrett which never worked either.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
But MEM mainly is - Sting, Angle. Steiner is a good bonus.
And again, TNA never said "MEM is coming back!".
As someone else said in an earlier post TNA made it very obvious to everyone that "They" were going to be The Main Event Mafia with little subtle hints like Crimson wearing a suit and saying he was "made an offer he couldn't refuse" or Scott Steiner returning in a suit to help Kurt Angle, then there are the reports from around the time the tapings were done a few weeks ago that TNA were bringing the group back to feud with Immortal. No TNA didn't promote the return as such of The Main Event Mafia but this isn't 1992 in which there was no internet and no links to what goes on backstage and i think everyone who use's wrestling sites knew that TNA were planning on bringing back that group.

What TNA were obviously hoping to do was to tease us with the return of Scott Steiner as the start and then on the February 3rd show have the whole group return and although they have promoted as such it is very clear that was the plan. What TNA do is leave clues and hints and go with shock value for their "surprises" which is why they never as such promoted the arrival of Paul Heyman although everyone knew it was him they were talking about and they never promoted Matt Hardy either because they believe that surprise is better than promotion.

There's an old rule in wrestling: never promise the fans something and fail to deliver. Technically, TNA never promised or promoted to the fans that the Main Event Mafia would be returning. So if they changed the storyline I don't think it would be a big deal. Let's be honest here: was bringing back Nash and Booker going to have a make-or-break impact on TNA? Probably not.

This is TNA's chance to give the MEM a younger, more exiting look. AJ Styles and Samoa Joe are Main event players, and Matt Morgan has had that carrot dangled in front of him long enough!
Bringing in AJ Styles and Samoa Joe come in to join Sting, Kurt Angle and Scott Steiner in The Main Event Mafia would be the only real way that TNA could get away with not re-signing Kevin Nash and Booker T before going ahead with the storyline because they are both former World champions but the plus is that they are TNA originals as well which is better for TNA long term. The only downside on Samoa Joe joining though would be that it would mean Samoa Joe switching his attentions to Immortal rather than The Pope which right now is the best thing in TNA now that Styles/Williams has seemingly finished but the upside in AJ Styles turning back face i guess would cover that.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
:lmao at the stupidity of this thread. First off believing the Observer? Stupid.

Secondly, It was reported Booker was not going to TNA way before WWE signed him for the Rumble. Which again, makes Observer look stupid for the 50th time this year.

I don't see how It's impossible to book Angle, Steiner, Sting as the centerpieces of the Mafia. Considering...They built it in the first place.

Also, It's not impossible for TNA to make Crimson the "Randy Orton" of the group.

If TNA was willing to bring back NWO with half members, I do not see why It can't be any different with MEM. Just add a few selected members or pull a swerve and make an Immortal member (AJ Styles) the replacement.

It's sad, everyone is taking joy of something that we do not know is true quite frankly. It's clear everyone loves when anything remotely involves TNA doing something negative. It's like this section is sheep to the dirtsheets.
What you fail to realise is that there were reports of The Main Event Mafia returning a week or two before the tapings were made so at that point Scott Steiner had not showed up and Genesis had not even been and gone so i think it is quite clear that TNA were trying to bring back The Main Event Mafia. Also TNA announced that they had re-signed Kevin Nash to a new contract a month or so ago to which Kevin Nash then said that he had not yet signed anything but had been in negotiations with the company, i also found this earlier on.

Credit: Lords of Pain.com

TNA officials have been scrambling to re-write this week's TV tapings and current storylines after negotiations with Booker T and Kevin Nash have fallen through. Spike TV officials are worried about the Main Event Mafia's return as it is them who requested that TNA officials bring the group back in the first place.

It looks to me as if TNA's booking team is so inept and clueless in their jobs that Spike TV are now having to help TNA out in storylines and idea's for things that will work on tv which is a complete joke if true. I said in a post a couple of weeks ago that Dixie Carter is destroying the company because she is completely clueless in running a wrestling company and 2011 could realistically be the last full year for TNA and if it has now come to the point where Spike TV are helping TNA out with storylines and idea's then they may not even last the year.

I don't really know just how big of a tv station Spike TV is but i am sure that they are not a HUGE channel and they may start to think to themselves is all this with TNA really worth the money when they are no having to help them with idea's for storylines because TNA's booking team is clueless. What i do remember though is that it was because of Sting that Spike TV picked up Impact and that Spike TV pay the majority of Sting's yearly salary and it may come to the point soon where they run out patience with TNA and end their association with the company when their contract ends although i am not sure when that is.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
heres the thing they have never once said a damn thing about the main event mafia being they but its all the people on here that read who has been signed and all the up to the minutes stuff that get pissed that they didn't bring back a group that they may not have ever intended on bringing back. its simple immortal is bishoff and hogans group on the 3rd you will get they which will be dixie carters group.
I think so far i have quoted three or four different reports from three or four different wrestling sites that have all said that the plan is to bring back The Main Event Mafia and here is yet another one,

Credit: Lords of Pain.com

Changes were made to the planned Main Event Mafia angle with major rewrites taking place according to one source. "Big time rewrite mode this week due to their dumb asses writing a plot around guys who are not under contract," the source stated.

Before he opted to appear at the Royal Rumble PPV, Kevin Nash had been pencilled in as part of the angle. There was also speculating regarding Booker T because of his past connections to the group, but there was nothing solid in him returning.

Now i am not some WWE mark that wants to bash TNA because i really want to prefer TNA over WWE as TNA put out a product that is not aimed at children or make their star's say sorry for saying ass but the reality is that TNA simply have no direction and struggle in booking anything. Just a month or so ago TNA announced that they had re-signed Kevin Nash which he then said to have been wrong and that he had not signed and there were also a lot of reports that TNA were trying to re-sign Sting and maybe Booker T as well.

I read the spoilers as soon as they came out so i knew that Scott Steiner had returned weeks ago and i could have made this thread before i did but didn't because it would spoil the upcoming episodes of Impact for other people so a few weeks ago TNA had no idea that Kevin Nash and Booker T were going to appear at The Royal Rumble and that the "They" that were about to appear in TNA were meant to be the original Main Event Mafia. If we are truly honest with ourselves it is clear to see that TNA fucked up because they wrote a storyline involving people who were not under contract and it has come back to haunt them because now they have had to rush through with a new way to go and we all know that TNA struggle with booking when they have time to write so what a rushed storyline will be like i dread to think about.

Just because TNA did not promote the return of The Main Event Mafia does nothing to convince me that they wasn't planning to bring them back because TNA very rarely promote people coming in, the only people i can think of that were promoted were Sting, Kurt Angle and Hulk Hogan and everyone else just showed up unannounced for shock value. I'm sorry if you still buy into what Dixie Carter says on Twitter or believe that everything you read on the internet is wrong but i just can't see four different wrestling sites in the last few days all being wrong especially when you can go back as far as Final Resolution for reports of TNA re-signing Sting and Kevin Nash but those reports were not from the wrestler's but from TNA themselves so they had probably been planning to bring them back for a couple of months at least so they have had ample time to get it sorted before going through with the storyline onscreen so have no one to blame but themselves if their rushed version goes horribly wrong.

if TNA is so clueless about the booking, to the point where spike has to tell the writing team where to go next, then why didn't TNA brought in Heyman and accepted his plan?

I'm not saying i agree with it, but it seems TNA is just giving more and more support to Heyman's plan for the future, specially when the booking right seems to be all about throwing stuff at the wall and filling huge gaps...
Dixie Carter was the one that decides on who comes in and who goes and it was her that was negotiating with Paul Heyman and it was her that pulled the plug on the deal to stay with Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo. What Paul Heyman wanted to do was to get rid of everyone over 40 at that time apart from Sting and Kurt Angle or move them backstage and then the the established TNA people like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Beer Money, Motor City Machine Guns, Abyss, Jay Lethal and Frankie Kazarian alongside the people who they had brought in that were in their early to mid 30's like Mr Anderson, Jeff Hardy, The Pope, Doug Williams and Desmond Wolfe and then go out and sign a load of young indy guys from places like ROH or AAA and then mould them into stars.

The problem was that Dixie Carter would not give Paul Heyman the power to hire and fire people despite him being the one who would be in charge and he would be the one bringing in all the next load of wrestler's and had experience of creating his own stars and moulding them into the type of character's that he wanted them to be. Paul Heyman's problem is that he isn't as big a star as Hulk Hogan and is not as tight with him as Eric Bischoff is nor as tight with Dixie Carter and Jeff Jarrett as Vince Russo is which means his only allies would have been people who were only booked to be around short term like Raven, Stevie Richards, Tommy Dreamer and Sabu and none of them have any sway.

Everyone who watches or knows anything about wrestling know's that the idea's Paul Heyman had for TNA were the best one's in the long term and that is what he was planning for as he said it was a five year plan because getting people like Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Kevin Nash, Booker T, Team 3D, Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett as on screen performers to either move backstage or move on would have saved TNA millions of dollars. Dixie Carter though who has no idea on how to run a wrestling company seems to be in the belief that having people who had competed with WWE fifteen years ago in charge and who were big names would draw ratings and see TNA move on to WWE levels sooner rather than later but Paul Heyman made it clear it was a five year programme to get close to WWE.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Just seen this come in so they have changed everything around now,

Credit: EWrestlingnews.com

TNA tapes iMPACT! tonight, which is the heavily hyped February 3rd episode. Do not expect the Main Event Mafia to return tonight, as TNA has decided to go with a new direction for "They." Word is that it is a completely different direction, which was decided several days ago, and according to a source, "When it goes down, people who expected a ton of big names might be surprised, but it's a move that's better for the company overall."

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Found these two bit's this morning so it looks like TNA are really putting everything into this new "They" storyline.

Credit: EWrestlingnews.com

Tonight's iMPACT! tapings are important as major storylines are planned and Spike TV has requested them to be loaded for sweeps. Set for tonight is Hulk Hogan's return to feud with Dixie Carter, Jeff Hardy vs. Mr. Anderson for the World Title and the arrival of "they", originally expected to be the return of The Main Event Mafia.

-- According to Randy Ricci, a former production manager for TNA Wrestling who is often very bitter in his comments, top personnel such as Dixie Carter, Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff are said to very hopeful that the "They" storyline "saves the company."

Well TNA certainly needs this new storyline to work because if it it doesn't i don't think they will ever progress now as they constantly throw money away on people who do nothing for them and their booking is so piss poor everytime they do something that draws us in like 10.10.10 they fuck it up within a week or two afterwards.

Credit: Wrestling Observer

Booker T and Kevin Nash were in negotiations as late as last week to return to TNA Wrestling, but both grapplers instead opted to return to World Wrestling Entertainment obviously. Booker T personally informed company president Dixie Carter that he had declined TNA's offer. Nash, however, did not. He verbally agreed to return to TNA and was slated to sign the contract this week. Carter discovered Nash bolting for WWE when the news broke online.

Just goes to who just how clueless Dixie Carter really is and that if she does care about TNA she would do the decent thing and beg Paul Heyman to come in and offer him everything he wanted in the first place because everything goes through Dixie Carter and it is her that allowed the whole "They" storyline to go through without having Kevin Nash and Booker T under contract. The time really has come for Dixie Carter to leave anything in TNA that is wrestling related alone and for her to work on promoting and financial aspects of the company and allow Paul Heyman to come in with whoever he wants alongside him to run the company on the wrestling/booking/creative side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.