Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although everyone here complains that TNA "doesn't push the young guys", over the years they have tried to push young guys. Especially in the past year where Dixie gave orders for creative to make three new stars in Morgan, Hernandez and AJ.

Hernandez and Morgan were pushed and AJ has had the belt 4 times. He's won more championships than anyone in company history (even Jarrett). At various times they also tried to push Joe, Kazarian (remember when he nearly beat Angle), Abyss, Lethal (who beat Angle), and Daniels (remember when he was main eventing PPVs against AJ and Joe).

But despite pushing so many of the young guys, none of them has managed to "catch fire". So is the problem TNA or with the young guys themselves?

·
Banned
1,242 Posts
MCMG are doing pretty well. AJ is already a star. He needs to put over young talent himself.
Kaz is overrated.
Joe needs another chance.
Hernandez failed.
Morgan needs another chance.
Lethal is still a clown so far.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Although everyone here complains that TNA "doesn't push the young guys", over the years they have tried to push young guys. Especially in the past year where Dixie gave orders for creative to make three new stars in Morgan, Hernandez and AJ.

Hernandez and Morgan were pushed and AJ has had the belt 4 times. He's won more championships than anyone in company history (even Jarrett). At various times they also tried to push Joe, Kazarian (remember when he nearly beat Angle), Abyss, Lethal (who beat Angle), and Daniels (remember when he was main eventing PPVs against AJ and Joe).

But despite pushing so many of the young guys, none of them has managed to "catch fire". So is the problem TNA or with the young guys themselves?
Stop start pushes never really help anyone and most of the guys you mentioned fall into that category, but even if they were booked well, I doubt it would make a difference from a business standpoint.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The problem is that when many of these guys start to catch on, booking either fails to sustain their pushes or puts them into a stupid angle (Jay Lethal vs Sonjay over the wedding ring, Joe and his fake knife, Joe joining up with the MEM only for them to disband and leave him with nothing to do, Prince AJ, AJ Flair, Retard Abyss-Abyssamania-Abyss and 'They', Kazarian vs Black Reign). You'll notice that these angles and character alterations all went down after they were catching on.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Wow, you guys act like TNA is almost dead. But I understand what point you trying to make.

I don't know, I think it's the booking and the fact that these guys have no passion for TNA. You can see it, Joe title reign is the prime example of that. I'm not Angle biggest fan but obviously, he cares about TNA. A lot of these guys don't give a shit.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
no . hell no. the problem is with the tna booking of the start stop philosophy when it ocmes to pushing the younger guys. look at matt morgan . last year by bound for glory he was in the semi main event and was full of momentum and then for no reason at all tna just stopped pushing him and he lost his momentum. The same could be said about almost everybody you mentioned at one point another.

It takes time to get over ...not one month, or 2 months but minumum 6 months to a year to start building up some credibility. Tna never gives their guys that long to get over so when they stop pushing them they look at it as a failure while in reality it is completely tna start- stop and shortsighted booking as far as why they havent been able to create stars

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
TNA never went through with pushing the "young guys". With most of the talent it was always just talk. Only during the Hogan era (yes, he of all people) TNA has started to REALLY build some TNA originals again.

1. Jay Lethal took the next step and may turn bigger over the next years.
2. Abyss has been improving for a long time and currently turns into a TNA signature star.
3. AJ Styles is better off than during the disastrous MEM times, - despite being dropped into the better mid card after his loss against RVD.
4. Motor City Machine Guns are getting booked well for the first time in 5 years (including both mens single careers in TNA).
5. Beer Money always used their opportunities and got over despite very little pushes, - but sadly are only Under mid carders right now with the small meaning of the tag team division.
6. Samoa Joe was never allowed to be himself, which always killed his opportunity. By now he stopped caring for TNA and even is lazy at times. But he never had a chance with Jarrett, and overall does well enough not to "fail" right now.
6. Kaz is an amazing talent regardless of what some guys here might say. But he never got any real push since Christian put him over, and therefore hasn't failed neither.
7. Matt Morgen stumbled upon his too early push and his lack of skill to make it work. He is talented, but - at least right now - overrated, and has neither looks (i.e. gimmick) nor skills to be a "star" atm.
8. Hernandez was never ready for a big push. Yes, had the looks, but it was obvious he needed Homicide. TNA would have needed to work very hard to turn him into a star, because he simply wasn't ready. Adding the fact that TNA was too incompetent to even turn guys into stars who were ready (AJ, Abyss, James Storm, Samoa Joe, Kazarian, and many before them) there was only a tiny chance Hernandez' push would have worked.
9. Daniels never had the trust of Jarrett or anyone else in the management, so it seems. They probably never even planed a big push for him.

Overall these "young TNA guys failed" theories are a joke. Everyone who remained his position in TNA for such a long time did so by getting far more over than TNA booking would have allowed them. There is no talent in the history of pro wrestling that would have become a star in TNA, i.e. who could have done much better than the majority of TNA "youngsters".

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts

The young guys HAVE caught fire, its just that TNA makes sure to put it out as quick as possible. TNA has this fear that if they create someone TOO BIG then that person (as soon as its possible) will pack up and head to New York.

There is a difference between putting a wrestler on TV a lot and pushing that wrestler. TNA has done the former under the guise of the latter and has fooled people like you, but haven't fooled people like me.

Let's exclude Impact Zone reactions and look at OUTSIDE THE IMPACT ZONE reactions.

Samoa Joe. One of the most over wrestlers in company history. He is one half of the duo responsible for TNA's highest PPV Buyrate in 2006 and 2008. He WAS over. Completely over. The fans outside the Impact Zone were behind him heavily.

Look and listen to the reaction Jay Lethal got at Slammiversary 2007 when he beat Chris Sabin for the X Division championship. The Black Machismo merch was at one time the highest selling merch for TNA. I went to a TNA house show earlier this year and Creed/Lethal were over with the people.

Listen to the crowd BEG for Styles to capture the title at Slammiversary 7. Listen to all of his on-the-road reactions. Heel or face, people are behind him.

Beer Money Inc and Motor City Machine Guns and LAX all over HUGE on the road.

Look at how Eric Young had the crowd in the palm of his hand at BFG 06 and how he had everyone at the Scope (Destination X 2007) completely behind Super Eric.

Its not the young guys faults. They got over. Its just that TNA depushes guys and then makes them look silly. TNA doesn't protect ANYONE. Look at Lethal in 2010. He has a good build to the biggest win of his career and then a few weeks later he is on Xplosion losing and not seen on Impact. Then He wins the X title out of no where and then loses it at a house show to a guy who hasn't been featured on Impact in a long time.

This is one of many examples. The fact that TNA doesn't have signature music for any of their guys and also like to write angles about guys being disgruntled because they aren't on TV (rather then spending that writing energy to actually write something for the guys to be on TV). MCMG comes to mind when I think of this. Despite being one of the most over tag teams in the company that have the full package (youth, charisma, workrate, marketability, etc.) TV kept them off TV for a long time and then brought them back to TV only to have them complain about not being on TV and essentially do NOTHING for a long time but tread water and talk about being conspiracy victims. This of course lead no where.

Kaz, Lethal, Styles, Young, Joe, Daniels, LAX, BMI, MCMG, Red, and Suicide has all PROVEN that they can get over with the live audience. Its not disputable. TNA just fails to keep the momentum alive and also makes puzzling decisions at the height of someone's fame. Look at Kaz in 2007. A break out star. Amazing performances and had the crowd fully behind him at Victory Road in Houston...what does TNA do after that...they have him quit and come back under a mask. Suicide gets over (look at the reactions at BFG IV and Slammiversary 7) and then they eventually take him off of TV for a long time and now he is on Xplosion duty ( and YES I know its someone different under the mask).

In short...TNA doesn't know how to make stars. Its NEVER been the problem of the roster. YES, guys like Generation Me, Rob Terry, and even (to a degree) Jesse Neal aren't THERE yet and DEFINITELY aren't helping their situation with their obvious short comings. But there is no one on this board that can look at me with a straight face and tell me that the 14 guys I listed were NEVER over and COULDN'T get over because they all suck and offer NOTHING.

TNA is bullshit when it comes to promoting. They did the same thing with Brown. Monty Brown WAS TNA's John Cena. LAX WAS TNA's NWO. Sarita IS TNA's Trish Stratus...but TNA doesn't care and isn't in the business of creating stars nor do they believe in constant pushes.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
AJ, MCMG, Beer Money, Pope, are all young guys doing well. AJ is a top guy, who gives a shit if he's not the world champion right now. He's just not hulk hogan or even john cena, a perennial champion guy. For TNA, that's angle. He's more like a Jericho, even though his mic skill level is nowhere near, he's a guy that is valuable in other feuds rather than just feeding him guys to beat. He's too small for that role anyway. That doesn't mean he's failed or hasnt been given his shot, because he has- he's there.

As far as other 'young guys' First of all i think hernandez is pretty old. But he's also mediocre. As is Kaz (who they are working miracles with in this fortune storyline). Lethal has reached some level of legitimacy, I don't know how much higher his ceiling really is... I'm not sure what else they can do. I never get this 'young guys' argument. Who are these young superstars waiting in the wings that we don't know about? Morgan could use a real shot, but he's already been a bust a few times. other than that, the good guys all have prime spots and the not-so-good guys don't, which is he way it should be. These arguments always seem to come back to AJ Styles and Samoa Joe. One is doing great- the other isn't. I doubt he ever will either. I'm over it.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I think it's more like TNA failed it's young guys.

With it's stupid ass backwards, start, stop ADD booking.

Look at John Cena; maybe the biggest star in WWE if he had been in TNA he'd probably be working main events on Xplosion.

The thing with TNA is a few things; one is that they have no patience they push a guy for two months and expect him to be a break out star and it really doesn't work that way.

The other problem is Russo; Listen I like Russo, I think he has a place in booking but it's obvious the guy has no clue on how to make a young star with raw potential, this is where a wrestling guy like Jim Cornette would be valuable to the creative process as he under stands the basics of getting people over that Russo has never really been able to grasp.

Let's say Russo does something that works, he then follows that up with something that completely kills all of that momentum.

Look at Tomko as an example, Tomko was getting over, people were buying into him as he stood up to Kurt Angle and then Tomko turns back heel, realigns with Angle and all that momentum is flushed down the shitter.

It would have been like Batista instead of power bombing Triple H threw a table on Raw and defeating him at WrestleMania, Batista rejoins evolution and remains under Triple H's thumb. How stupid would that have been?

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I also agree that Russo has shown throughout the years to have good/great foundation for something, but never knows how to follow up and make it good without overkill. Giving the bland X Division guys (Lethal, Dutt, Williams) gimmicks and personality was awesome...those gimmicks never got to the next level. Young/Brooks/Roode was a good angle, but stalled and became convulsed and boring. Same with Mitchell/Abyss/Mesias/Sting and 4LK. All good ideas and outlines, but they should have been fleshed out more. Same with Angle/Anderson 2010...good stuff...but should have had someone like Gabe take Russo's rough idea and make it more coherent. That LD 2010 would have meant SO MUCH MORE if Angle didn't ALREADY GET HIS REVENGE and bloodied Anderson.

TNA never went through with pushing the "young guys". With most of the talent it was always just talk. Only during the Hogan era (yes, he of all people) TNA has started to REALLY build some TNA originals again.

1. Jay Lethal took the next step and may turn bigger over the next years.
2. Abyss has been improving for a long time and currently turns into a TNA signature star.
3. AJ Styles is better off than during the disastrous MEM times, - despite being dropped into the better mid card after his loss against RVD.
4. Motor City Machine Guns are getting booked well for the first time in 5 years (including both mens single careers in TNA).
5. Beer Money always used their opportunities and got over despite very little pushes, - but sadly are only Under mid carders right now with the small meaning of the tag team division.
6. Samoa Joe was never allowed to be himself, which always killed his opportunity. By now he stopped caring for TNA and even is lazy at times. But he never had a chance with Jarrett, and overall does well enough not to "fail" right now.
6. Kaz is an amazing talent regardless of what some guys here might say. But he never got any real push since Christian put him over, and therefore hasn't failed neither.
7. Matt Morgen stumbled upon his too early push and his lack of skill to make it work. He is talented, but - at least right now - overrated, and has neither looks (i.e. gimmick) nor skills to be a "star" atm.
8. Hernandez was never ready for a big push. Yes, had the looks, but it was obvious he needed Homicide. TNA would have needed to work very hard to turn him into a star, because he simply wasn't ready. Adding the fact that TNA was too incompetent to even turn guys into stars who were ready (AJ, Abyss, James Storm, Samoa Joe, Kazarian, and many before them) there was only a tiny chance Hernandez' push would have worked.
9. Daniels never had the trust of Jarrett or anyone else in the management, so it seems. They probably never even planed a big push for him.

Overall these "young TNA guys failed" theories are a joke. Everyone who remained his position in TNA for such a long time did so by getting far more over than TNA booking would have allowed them. There is no talent in the history of pro wrestling that would have become a star in TNA, i.e. who could have done much better than the majority of TNA "youngsters".

1. Lethal has had star making moments pre Hogan era. Remember when Lethal 'saved' The X Division? What about Lethal's win against Kurt Angle at No Surrender. Lethal prior to 2010 was also a multi-time X champion, at one point TNA's highest merch seller, and a guy who on occasions went toe-to-toe with NWA champion Jeff Jarrett in star making matches. Yes, it is true that Lethal beat Flair this year, but look at what happened AFTER HE BEAT FLAIR. Lethal has been booked like an after thought and in the process TNA has un-mind Flair/Lethal/ and the significances of the victory. Flair putting over Lethal means absolutely dick in the grand scheme of things because Lethal is RIGHT BACK to square one.

Lethal gets off a win against Flair and a few weeks later is on Xplosion jobbing?

2. Beer Money was TNA's most over tag team (even more so then Team 3D and MCMG [ and both of those are STRONG competition] before randomly turning heel because they felt that TNA management had it out for them ( a Russo trope when he is too lazy to write a real reason for someone turning heel). BMI have since been on job duty. But BMI has been good since Hogan came in right? What about the 1/4/10 show when the only time they appeared was layed out in the back? What about the weeks that followed where we didn't see them at all?

3. Kaz had a push post Christian and got over. Kaz also got over while he was Suicide. Once Suicide got too hot and started catching fire, TNA had to get rid of the gimmick asap and pair it with a terrible worker and put it on their B show.

4. Matt Morgan has everything he needs to be a star. Its just TNA doesn't know how to book a big man. TNA has this habit of making everyone on the roster appear equal and the average joe. Angle, Sting, and Hardy are all average joes in TNA. Matt Morgan is nearly 7'0 tall and is the second (first?) tallest guy on the roster, but you wouldn't know that looking at how he is booked and how often he loses matches and WHO he loses them to AND HOW he loses them. Morgan is booked like he is long rather then tall. If Morgan had a commentate booker behind him who knows that guys who are nearly 7'0 shouldn't get getting the shit kicked out of him on a regular bases by guys twice his size and shouldn't be bumping around like a pinball...then Morgan will be okay. Until then...yes Morgan is the shitz.

5. Hernandez is another guy. Once again, TNA doesn't know how to book big men. Hernandez in AAA was awesome. TNA won't let him do that. They want corny Spanglish Hernandez and want him to go out there and wrestle for 15 minutes. The only problem with that it that it appears no one knows how to lay out a match that protects Hernandez. Hernandez should be wrestling the John Cena style match. Plain and simple. Hot offense to start it off, heel takes control, firey baby face comeback spots, heel takes control, Hernandez turns it around and wins the match. Simple.

6. Samoa Joe was allowed to be himself for the first 2 years he was in TNA...and then shitty booking kicked into fully gear.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Every time a read Houseshow results Brutus Magnus is always in the top 3, top 5 guys to get the biggest heat, yet for some reason TNA doesn't push this guy on T.V... TNA has fail, The ImpactZone has fail

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Booking is a bigger problem than the stars himself. If you compare TNA with WWE Talent, the young TNA guys have mostly more charisma, mic and even ring skills than WWE guys but WWE still produces more stars. If someone in the WWE can't talk, he mostly wrestles (Morrison), if someone can't wrestle but talks he get's mic time (Miz), if someone's an allrounder you give him both (Jericho). In TNA, sometimes the better mic talkers wrestle and the better wrestlers talk, instead of trying to hide the weaknesses they try to expose them.

Then we got the pushes/depushes, it's too much start-stop like, kinda like the Raw midcard, only difference beeing that this goes for upper midcarders that are ready to mainevent, it's like everyone gets the Christian treatment in TNA bar AJ, who is booked Jericho-esque despite beeing labeled as the face of the company. Morgan, Hernandez, Roode, Wolfe and Pope are all more or less halted pushes in the last 12 months. They all looked like future world champs at one point, but now not so much.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Most of TNA's younger guys are just not cut out to be main event stars. AJ and Joe and Daniels (if he comes back) are great for the X Division but they are not main event material. Kazarian and Jay Lethal should be life long jobbers. Abyss shouldn't be employed. Motor City are fine as a tag team but by themselves they wouldn't get past jobber status.

Matt Morgan never got a fair chance. I think he could definately be a top guy. Same goes for Pope. Both members of Beer Money are total packages too.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
MCMG are doing pretty well. AJ is already a star. He needs to put over young talent himself.
Kaz is overrated.
Joe needs another chance.
Hernandez failed.
Morgan needs another chance.
Lethal is still a clown so far.
This. But Morgan is overrated too...

·
Registered
476 Posts
they have not failed. TNA creative has failed at times but Joe is super over despite bad booking, AJ is still the man, Kaz is in development but TNA making him suicide put a hold to his career, MCMG is doing great, Beer Money is doing good, Lethal is a champion, Hernandez is in mexico and Morgan is still developing.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

Russo is that you...?

No its TNA's fault for giving up on their pushes too quickly. They try to do something drastic that gets some quick 1 week ratings boost, which fucks the younger guys over.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Booking can make or break someone. If someone has the talent they mostly go out there and perform unless they just say screw it or are on drugs. Fortunatelty for TNA the fans still stick by some of those guys even when the booking is stupid.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts