Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The way they have booked the tag team division this past year or at least 8 months. The Shield, Usos, Real Americans, Rhodes Brothers and Wyatt Family have been putting on great battles. With the signing of American Wolves, and the Ascension down at NXT things are looking even better. I do wish though that Tons Of Funk were used more often, they remind me of Too Cool and are easily marketable with the kids. For Wresltemania I hope we get a ladder match like the Usos vs Real Americans for the titles.

·
From parts unknown
23,273 Posts
Re: Hats Off To The WWE For

Yup. And this is one area where HHH apparently played a strong backstage role. I remember reports as early as april-may 2011 that he was part of the process to revive the division.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts

The tag title division got over solely from decent positioning on the card and stellar matches with good talent. There was no booking or creative really involved apart from the Rhodes' part in the division in the last year.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts

The tag title division got over solely from decent positioning on the card and stellar matches with good talent. There was no booking or creative really involved apart from the Rhodes' part in the division in the last year.
Gotta agree here, it was strictly on the shoulders of the talent, the tag teams rarely got any actual angles to work with, in fact there was a few slip ups, breaking up the Rhodes scholars and then putting them back together again lol, the Real Americans getting beat by John Cena in a handi cap match (a week or two after he beat Damien Sandow after cashing in his briefcase... while he had a bad arm), as well as Ziggler and Big E forming a tag team from scratch for a wrestlemania match when there were other tag teams that were around for at least..... a few months lol, also, having Los Matadores pretty much fight 3MB every single match. HHH just scheduled the matches, the workers themselves made it great.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
theres finally life in the tags but wwe needs more teams and not just the usos to give the belts a real challenge every now and then, the iron is hot so why stop striking simply because the black eye is already there, lots of potential teams out there

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
While the division has been better over the past few months I can't ignore the fact that it is still overly reliant on established singles wrestlers dropping down a notch to slum it with the tag guys. Cody and Goldust (both multiple time IC champions) Team Hell No (both former world champions), Jack Swagger (former world champion (no matter how shitty his reign was), Cesaro (former US champion).

Looking back at the members of the last 10 championship winning teams, only Vladimir Kozlov, Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater, David Otunga, Michael McGillicutty, Evan Bourne, Primo and Epico and The Shield hadn't already won singles gold; Santino, Cena, Miz, Big Show, Kane, Kofi, Truth, Bryan, Cody and Goldust have all held either the IC or US titles and several are former world champions. Moreover, when you look at the WWE tag team championship history (I haven't checked the world tag team championship history so it might not be as bad as I think it is) there is what I consider an alarming statistic: there hasn't been a run of 3 or more tag team champions without one established singles member since 2004 (Charlie Haas & Rico, The Dudley Boyz, Paul London & Billy Kidman, Rene Dupree & Kenzo Suzuki)

My final point is that when the tag team division is booked properly, and I mean properly, we should expect the tag team champions to be at least as good, and generally better, than any combination of singles wrestlers in the company. To take a random example, let's imagine WWF champion Hulk Hogan and IC champion Ricky Steamboat vs The Hart Foundation and compare the likely result with NWA champion Ric Flair and US champion Nikita Koloff vs The Midnight Express (these matches were possible in and around May 1987). In WWF, Hogan and Steamboat would almost certainly win whereas the NWA equivalent is about 50-50.

Hate to be a downer but I expect more from the tag team titles than merely ok, I expect them to be treated as another world title which is what they're supposed to be after all.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
swagger and cesaro were both in the doghouse and eventually were a jobber team, then a comedy jobber team, then a comedy team, and now a legit tag team.

you can also tell that cesaro and swagger love working with each other.

·
Locker Room Leader
12,168 Posts
The Real Americans need those belts soon. I'd love for them to have a solid reign. And we could finally have a great tag feud with them and the Rhodes. The Rhodes and The Shield had a good feud but The Authority was involved and it got cut short.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Kidman had already been Cruiserweight champion before then, iirc.
You may be right and if so then it's even worse. I do know Bubba Ray had held the Hardcore title but I let that go because The Dudleyz were clearly established tag-team wrestlers before being broken up by the first draft.

EDIT - You are right, he held both the Light-Heavyweight and Cruiserweight titles before winning the tag team titles.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Yea I didn't want to mention the hardcore title either. :p I wouldn't consider it relevant to what you're talking about anyway.

Although I was going to mention it because I thought Rico held the title but I'm most likely wrong on that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.