Wrestling Forum banner

Hate/Love Attitude Era, Orton, HHH, Shawn

1260 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Jon Staley
Hey Guys,

Somehow, loads of us on this forum (and other forums)used to write that how much they miss the Attitude Era, and how much bad wrestling is today, specially the PG Era. I have been watching wrestling from a long time and I am confused about 'what people refer to' when they talk about the Attitude Era. If I am not wrong, then there were two Era's Attitude and something else, which had names. Or maybe it was just the Attitude Era in all from Dx time till Rock's Era.

I have always liked wrestling (till now), and sure there are some wrestlers I like, some I dont, Some episodes I like, some I dont. But I never used to read people's comments on Internet. Now, since I have started going through these comments, I m surprised by the Hate mails from people. But then what surprised me more is people bashing each other, and the reason i am initiating this thread is after watching hate thread's for Rock, after going through thousand's of posts about Attitude Era.

Assuming if WWE/WWF was not pg at that time, most of the people who loved Rock and Stone Cold are in their 20s, or about to be 20 (atleast). I am also assuming that you are the primary lot of people who love Rock and Stone Cold. I could be wrong here, but just an assumption. So I wanted to ask you guys what do you remember about the Attitude Era or WWE since you started watching it and what you mainly MISS. 1. Is the Era when Dx was there and WCW was attracting more people to Arena's. 2. Or is it the Era after Shawn Michaels, and so called the Era of Stone Cold, when accept stone cold there was no one else worth watching on the show. 3. Is it the Era when HHH, Curt Angle, Jericho, Rock, Ken shamrock were all getting popular, I think till then WCW was a big deal, 4. or is it the time Rock started getting popular (When starting Smackdown seemed like a desperation move to compete WCW)5. or is it the time when HHH and Stephanie was running the show, 6. Or is it the time after that When Rock and Stone became Superstar, and when WCW dissolved and we saw huge number of stars flooding to WWE.

I somehow feel people refer to attitude ERA as the one when WCW dissolved, cause before that there were shows when there were only 15 min worth of good show. Or sometimes says 30 min, when the focus was on one feud for 30 min, cause they didnt have enough stars to show.

i think More than Rock and Steve Austin, HHH was in this ERA, and I dont know why people forget him. HHH (He had his time offs due to injuries)always stayed as one of the main wrestlers from DX days till last year. But Why aint anyone refers to him as a part of Attitude Era. Well Undertaker is undertaker (I have never seen him in the primary storyline), he has always been like this since ages but people still dosent find him boring. I think people really dont expect much from him.

And what about the Era of Evolution. It was for a year or so, maybe, till the official John Cena Era started. What do u think about that time. i really used to enjoy that time too.

I never have been a big Fan of John Cena, cause he is like Undertaker, always too strong, and doing the same thing for years. And frankly I got sick of wrestling when focus was only in him for a long time.

I think, now we are seeing more effort from WWE, after the end of evolution to build stars, and specially Orton emerging as a top face (he always deserved this fan following), after being entertaining for years.

My another question to all of u (in teens, kids and 20s and above), why do u hate people like HHH and ORton, to some extent Shawn, who have been great if he didnt leave WWE in his prime, who have always been backbone of WWE. Not taking anything away from John Cena, Rock and Austin, the later two are my favorites too. And who are the people who hate Rock and Austin? Are they the new generation, cause its fair that they dont like them.

Sorry if i asked too many questions in one post, but my whole motive is to understand, who hates who and WHY, and what people mean by attitude Era.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Banned
2,231 Posts
Re: What do you remember about Attitude Era or say WWE as a whole

please do not compare taker to cena it is embarrassing, Taker owns cena in every term, wrestling, on the mic, dedication wise and everything else.
To answer your original question though, the attitude era had good storylines, good bookings, not kiddish, had good wrestlers, and the crowd were just up for it in every way, whereas the era we are in now is pathetic, we have gone from DX, ministry of darkness, corporation, to nexus, the core ? Give me a break, the attitude era had awesome storylines in which were epic and shocking and made you feel so excited, nowadays we have cena headlining 7 manias in a row for the title, the rock has never done that, stone cold has never done that, the undertaker has never done that, hbk did not do that, so why the fuck should cena be given that right when he is no where near those guys in terms of ability, popularity, wrestling wise, and everything else.

· Registered
587 Posts

When I think of attitude era, first and foremost, I think of Austin v Mcmahon.

The greatest setups and storylines of them all come from that.

What do I miss? The crowds, the pops, the credible midcard stories, the plethora of talent that could carry both a promo and a match, but most of all, I miss the fun.

· Registered
2,463 Posts

I was a young child during the Attitude Era, and it obviously was the "cool" show back then. I remember a tag team division. A lot of gimmick matches. No generic FCW drones. Stables that would never work in WWE today i.e. Dudleyz, Brood, NoD to name a few.

I also believe the "Evolution" era as I call it(2002-2004) was seriously underrated. John Cena was entertaining, lots of decent tag teams and divas, star power and people you could believe were WWE or World Heavyweight Champions.

I'm not a PG basher, but it just isn't the same, not just because i'm older now but a lot of the wrestlers are generic, wrestlers with talent like Shelton Benjamin are/were being overlooked. 2010 was a step up if i'm honest but it just ain't the same. Oh, and the crowds are dead too, there's more atmosphere at a graveyard.

· Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: Hate Attitude Era, Orton, HHH, Shawn

What I remember was:

Roster was smaller, generally a decent amount could pull decent promo's.
Austin owned all + epic feud with Vince.
The Great One.
Factions that where amazing.
Mid-card was really good.
Tag Teams existed.
Competition from WCW.
Crowd's were crazy, popped at nearly everything.
No generic rookies either, with themes that didn't sound all the same.

· Banned
7,850 Posts

Attitude Era is my era, and I don't get the same buzz from wrestling anymore. Only for The Rock coming back am I a bit interested in it again.

I remember the first night I watch WWF/WWE, it was the night Austin got hit over the head with a shovel by the Undertaker. I was transfixed by it after that, and didn't miss a RAW until 2004.

The Austin vs Vince feud is the best ever, and it wont EVER be matched.

Who seen the Attitude Era at it's best are the lucky ones, you wont EVER see talent and groups all at the same time like, Stone Cold,The Rock, HHH, Mankind, The Undertaker, Kane, DX, Big Bossman, Kurt Angle, Trish Stratus, Jeff and Matt Hardy, Dudley Boyz, Edge and Christian. List goes on, so much talent and so much more could be done.

Tbh the talent isn't there these days, and PG has kind of ruined it.

· Registered
5,733 Posts

I just liked fleshed out characters. They can suck in the ring all they want so long as I know who they are. The cream will rise over time. I don't need rock, I don't need attitude, I don't need scsa, I don't need hhh, I don't need cena, hell truth be I don't need miz (am im kinda of a mark for the guy), i just want to not be treated like such a moron by the 'story' of the 'show' that i have been watching.

Though, I have been putting off homework, filling my procrastination with wrestling stuff, so....

· Registered
534 Posts

The attitude era ended at the end of 2002/ beginning of 2003.

The entire show changed noticeably. Hell soon after the brand split is when the product became shit. The era of Evolution was the beginning of the crap product we see today.

· Registered
5,733 Posts

I find it funny, that fond memories of the attitude era rarely include hhh.

· Registered
534 Posts

Some say it ended after WM 17?
It could very well have. But the Invasion angle came up after that which atleast kept the show entertaining.

· Registered
534 Posts

True, I think he stayed more of heel, and when we were young, faces appealed us more than heels
Triple H defined the attitude era during 2000.

The Mcmahon Helmsley Faction, anyone?

· Banned
10,885 Posts

I absolutely love the Attitude Era. I have all of the weeklies, all of the PPV's, all of the magazines - it was the pinnacle and epitome of what wrestling/sports-entertainment should be. WWE these days isn't what it used to be, but it's still fantastic entertainment. There's no harm in 'wishing it was as good as it was back then' I don't think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.