Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is the video and a partial transcript of something I'm sure many of you have seen before.

This was a personal introduction to the company's new way of business on December 15, 1997.
I consider this to be several months into Attitude Era programming but to be the official start to the
Attitude Era as it was an explicit acknowledgement of the direction the company was going to go for the next
5 years or so.

"It has been said that anything can happen here in the World Wrestling Federation,
but now more than ever, truer words have never been spoken!

This is a conscious effort on our part to push the creative envelope in order to entertain you in a contemporary manner.
Even though we call ourselves "Sports Entertainment" because of the athleticism involved, the keyword in that phrase is "Entertainment".
The WWF extends far beyond the strict confines of sports presentation into the wide open environment of broad based entertainment.
We borrow from such programs niches like soap-operas such as "The Days of Our Lives", MTV music videos, daytime talk-shows like "Jerry Springer," cartoons like "The King of The Hill", sitcoms like "Seinfeld", and other widely accepted forms of television entertainment.

We think that the audience is tired of having its intelligence insulted.
We also think that you're tired of the same old simplistic theory of "Good Guys VS Bad Guys."
The era of "The super-hero urging you to say your prayers and take your vitamins" is definitely passe!

Therefore, we've embarked on an innovative, contemporary and creative campaign that is more invigorating
than ever before. One of the reasons for our longevity is: As the times have changed, so have we!

I'm happy to say that this new vibrant, creative direction has resulted in a huge increase in television viewership
for which we thank the USA Network and TSN for allowing us to have creative freedom.
But most especially, we would like to thank you for watching.

RAW and the WarZone are definitely the cure for the common show!"
Is this company innovating? No. Is it following current societal trends? Not really. It shills the internet
and apps pretty hard but doesn't do much of anything constructive with them.

In 1997, Good Guy/Bad Guy dynamics and clean-cut, moralistic superhero sorts of babyfaces were
stated to be "definitely passe!"

Yet what has Cena been for the past 5 years if not exactly that?

Do you know what is really passe now, though? Authority figures!
They are a 15 year old relic of a bygone era and yet we've had how many of them lately?
Triple H, Vince, Steph, Johnny Ace, Vickie Guerrero, Teddy Long, Brad Maddox and Kane just
in the past 2 years alone!

Is the company still in a vibrant creative mode that retained television viewership and spurred it higher?
No, not really. It is reverting to early 1990s ideas of the type of wrestler that is "best for business."
It is still pushing clean cut, superhero babyfaces. It has been thoroughly dominated by a contemporary
form of sports entertainment, mixed martial arts, and has poorly counterprogrammed against it.

WWE is partying like its 1995, put the belt on John Diesel for 400 days and watch the ratings pour in!
I can't believe somebody who said that almost 17 years ago would be producing something so retrograde.
Something that is clearly a step backwards to the early 1990s, one of the worst financial periods
in company history that nearly put WWE out of business.

·
wrap
9,027 Posts
In essence, yes. They've really regressed to lazy writing and booking as of late, and there is nothing edgy or "entertaining" about the product. The current storylines might as well have been names picked out of a hat, assigned randomly generated one sentence "stories".

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
I think part of the problem is fans still think it's 1998 and WWF can get away with the crap they got away with in the Attitude Era.

Punk, Bryan, Cena, Cesaro it doesn't matter who WWE will be represented by a smiling, bad joke telling corporate friendly geared for kids face of the company.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,087 Posts
Agreed 100% on the authority figure bit. They need to be eradicated from this business. Why do we need matchmaking segments ?, Make the matches before the show airs that way we can spend more time getting the guys over with matches and promo's. Jesus Christ.

Also i've been watching some 93 WWF these last few days and there are a ton of similarities between the shows. Hogan & Cena especially.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Kind of because Cena is like Hogan in that it is nearly impossible to book him into a feud right now. Back then the booking for everyone outside of the super man was good. Right now the booking is bad for everyone for some reason. Right now I can't even explain why someone gets a title shot. Like when Cena came back and leap frogged everyone to get the WHC. Why did this happen? Why doesn't he have to beat a couple of guys before getting another shot at a title and missing time due to injury?

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
they booked themselves into a corner with having cena winslol for the past 6 years or so. they try to make new stars, and once they start catching some steam with the crowds, but the ratings still stagnate, they abandon their push. with austins rise in 96 and 97, was he getting ratings? eh, they were still losing to wcw, but he was so hot with the crowds, and thats what the people paid to see. they didnt abandon his push, they went full steam ahead.

they are pussies nowadays.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,012 Posts
I don't think so to be honest, if anything WWE have progressed this past year or so, it may be a slow burner but I definitely feel they have, I think the thing was that WWE got rid of so many of the vital elements that made WWE viewing so great in the 90's they got to the point where they over did it too much, hence why I think certain things have been cried out for, slightly have returned back (thankfully) but doing those things in the way they should be done in 2013, not in 1993.

For example :

The look of the belts - WWE revamped the belts so much they started to look like .... well not belts anymore, Cody brought back the original IC belt (one of the BEST things WWE have done in recent years!!!) ... and The Rock finally (no pun intended) showcased the new design belt which looks so much more like a championship belt now, it looks like something worth fighting over again, the Tag Team belts are pretty much the only one's now that don't really look too great (they look like copper coins), the WHC looks pretty vintage and prestige and the USC isn't too bad either really, or is the diva's, though getting rid of the spinner title really was best for business as they would say.

In screen promo's - They have actually started to do these again briefly (which again is great!!!), though they probably should do them a little bit more, but it's definitely a step in the right direction, without a doubt, like this video here (20:31 for an example)

Gimmicks and personalities - Something else that was REALLY needed to be brought back, the talent all became very generic, they all looked the same, they had no distinction or personalities really going for them, if someone who was not a fan of WWE happened to catch the product on TV, they wouldn't know the difference between Wade Barrett and Randy Orton for example, none of the wrestlers had gimmicks or anything memorable or entertaining, where as say if someone was watching back in the 90's, they'd remember talent, they'd remember The Big Boss Man (Oh that police dude), they'd remember The Ultimate Warrior, they'd remember The Mountie, they'd remember Shawn Michaels, Rick Martel, El Matador Tito Santana, The Warlord, The Barbarian, The British Bulldog so on and so forth ... they were all distinctive which is needed, otherwise it looks boring ... they have started this big time now which is great, ever since Brodus Clay debuted I noticed that it seemed to be kicking in, then we got Sandow, Fandango, Los Matadores recently etc.. it's good, it's much needed and also one of the BEST things WWE have been doing lately.

About the belt situation, well what other options do they have? in the 1990's they had a pool full of talent that could hold the belt and carry the belt for the business for a while, where as today, due to no fault of the talent alone (restrictions of pretty much everything in today's product), we don't really have that, other than a small handful (Orton, Cena etc.), they try it (Miz, Del Rio) ... but it always ends up going back to where it works best, hence why The Rock was absolute genius to have him hold the belt again .. they needed it.

They would build up story lines much more in the 90's too, for example, we'd see the Face to Face segments, something that could be done really well in today's product, this used to really heat up the feuds, which although we see the in ring promo's and sometimes the big screen promo's while a talent is in the ring (which is great), I do feel if they did little things like these here, it would really help make the product much better, it gives us so much more to watch as well as builds up things much better, they really should bring these back.

Of course now, we're more and more PG, which doesn't help when wanting elements of the AE times back either, so many moves now are just not allowed to be done, certain terms have to be said a certain way or not used at all ... WWE are putting WAY too many restrictions on the talent, they're making the job hard for them to do, which will without a doubt take away their enthusiasm for the product, the same with line for line scripts (which HHH has said he wants to abandon), it's too much pressure on them that no wonder they become stale and generic, they're too busy trying to remember their lines and thinking about that to be bale to put any enthusiasm into their character ... so all these kind of things, that were/weren't there in the 90's is why the product was so so good back then and so spot on, they've pretty much smothered it too much over the years, it's surprising wrestlers still want to work for the WWE, obviously, they're the top company and that's why but even now you hear about wrestlers that don't really enjoy working for WWE as much as they do other companies ... it's completely understandable when they continue to restrict the talent and smother them too much, they get no creative angles to spin on things themselves and this in return effects them and their performance, which then effects the product on a whole ... and they wonder why.

So I think that WWE HAS progressed, but it's a slow burner, though definitely going in the right direction .... it all needs to be done and it all needs to be brought back ... BUT has to be done in today's world, not in the 1990's world, so basically everything just modified to fit in with today ... that's pretty much it really I think.​

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Yes they have regressed back to easy pg content and how tried to make cena the new Hulk Hogan unfortunately for them the ship has sailed on that type of character in wrestling today, another point is that cena is nowhere near Hogans charismatic or overness level that he was in the 1980's or The Ultimate Warriors even, the WWE are also not following social trends where the envelope in Music Video's, Teality TV Shows & Movies are continuing being pushed, the WWE may think it's clever going to the pg rating and among the other stuff that they now do but with the PPV buy rates significantly dropping and the fact they've lost 6 million viewers for raw over the past 13 years and most recently the past 4 years from a solid 3 to 2 and of course from an 8 during the Attitude Era to a 2 this year.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Eating Doritos In My Mom's Basement. A Crawl Space
1,398 Posts
Okay, this is the video and a partial transcript of something I'm sure many of you have seen before.

This was a personal introduction to the company's new way of business on December 15, 1997.
I consider this to be several months into Attitude Era programming but to be the official start to the
Attitude Era as it was an explicit acknowledgement of the direction the company was going to go for the next
5 years or so.

Is this company innovating? No. Is it following current societal trends? Not really. It shills the internet
and apps pretty hard but doesn't do much of anything constructive with them.

In 1997, Good Guy/Bad Guy dynamics and clean-cut, moralistic superhero sorts of babyfaces were
stated to be "definitely passe!"

Yet what has Cena been for the past 5 years if not exactly that?

Do you know what is really passe now, though? Authority figures!
They are a 15 year old relic of a bygone era and yet we've had how many of them lately?
Triple H, Vince, Steph, Johnny Ace, Vickie Guerrero, Teddy Long, Brad Maddox and Kane just
in the past 2 years alone!

Is the company still in a vibrant creative mode that retained television viewership and spurred it higher?
No, not really. It is reverting to early 1990s ideas of the type of wrestler that is "best for business."
It is still pushing clean cut, superhero babyfaces. It has been thoroughly dominated by a contemporary
form of sports entertainment, mixed martial arts, and has poorly counterprogrammed against it.

WWE is partying like its 1995, put the belt on John Diesel for 400 days and watch the ratings pour in!
I can't believe somebody who said that almost 17 years ago would be producing something so retrograde.
Something that is clearly a step backwards to the early 1990s, one of the worst financial periods
in company history that nearly put WWE out of business.
UFC would kill for Smackdown ratings on most of their programs. The Ultimate Fighter 18 (Rousey vs. Tate) didn't draw a million viewers for any episode. Their UFC on Fox specials barely get 2-3 million. Monday Night Raw kills all of UFC's network tv cards. WWE Main Event gets better ratings than most UFC programming. Their big launch on Fox Sports 1 drew 1.7 million and they said it was a huge success. If Raw pulled in 1.7 million viewers Vince's head would explode.

UFC dominates WWE in other aspects like PPV buys, but it's not like MMA has this other worldly popularity compared to WWE.

I'm a big MMA fan, but there is this argument that continues to be made about how UFC and MMA in general is so much bigger than WWE, when it really isn't.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I agree UFC still can't beat WWE, also the biggest draw they had returned home, in a part timer way but still xD

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
I do think there are some similarities between now and that cartoonish point where the WWF almost went out of business. Obviously now they have no competitors, but that doesn't mean that people will watch no matter what.

·
Eating Doritos In My Mom's Basement. A Crawl Space
1,398 Posts
I agree UFC still can't beat WWE, also the biggest draw they had returned home, in a part timer way but still xD
Yeah. Now that GSP has pulled a Rock and decided to leave for a while, Dana White is wondering who's gonna be the face of the UFC. It could be Cain Velazquez but he doesn't get a huge pop outside of Latino fans. Jon Jones is great but he's a delusional face and gets more heat than Cena. Chael Sonnen waited too long to turn face, he's too old now to be the face of the UFC.

They could push a small exciting guy like Renan Barao or Jose Aldo, but Dana White doesn't think small guys can draw. White is obsessed with big guys, that's why he puts small guys like Mighty Mouse Johnson on free tv on Fox, while boring big guys like Alistair Overeem are always on PPV.

Johny Hendricks could be the guy down the road but he has poor mic skills. He's great in the octagon but he has to work on his charisma. He's pretty much getting by on his in-octagon skills right now. If Chris Weidman retires Anderson Silva for good in December, the UFC is going to be in trouble because they've refused to create new stars.

Also, I think they made a mistake by turning Ronda Rousey heel. She could still be a big draw for them, but she was really over as a face. She draws good heat, but 2011/2012 Ronda Rousey would have made the company more money.

*UFC through the eyes of a WWE fan*

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Yeah. Now that GSP has pulled a Rock and decided to leave for a while, Dana White is wondering who's gonna be the face of the UFC. It could be Cain Velazquez but he doesn't get a huge pop outside of Latino fans. Jon Jones is great but he's a delusional face and gets more heat than Cena. Chael Sonnen waited too long to turn face, he's too old now to be the face of the UFC.

They could push a small exciting guy like Renan Barao or Jose Aldo, but Dana White doesn't think small guys can draw. White is obsessed with big guys, that's why he puts small guys like Mighty Mouse Johnson on free tv on Fox, while boring big guys like Alistair Overeem are always on PPV.

Johny Hendricks could be the guy down the road but he has poor mic skills. He's great in the octagon but he has to work on his charisma. He's pretty much getting by on his in-octagon skills right now. If Chris Weidman retires Anderson Silva for good in December, the UFC is going to be in trouble because they've refused to create new stars.

Also, I think they made a mistake by turning Ronda Rousey heel. She could still be a big draw for them, but she was really over as a face. She draws good heat, but 2011/2012 Ronda Rousey would have made the company more money.

*UFC through the eyes of a WWE fan*
Fucking awesome I always wanted to read something like this xD!!! thanks dude!.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
YES THEY HAVE REGRESSED. I have seen some points brought up in here, BUT I have one simple question. When was the last time that the STRUCTURE of WWE programming has changed SINCE the STRUCTURE change in 1997 to RAW IS WAR?

The company has turned into what they use to call out WCW on and that is being too "corporate". It's so bad fans aren't even realizing it with the current storyline which is about being corporate. The company needs to be MORE FUN again too instead of being so "best for business".

RAW is doing the same STYLE OF 3 HOUR NITRO SHOWS. Read that again and realize why it's not totally on John Cena being stale. This company has not changed at all except for talent roster which is the whole problem. As mentioned, the authority bit is "passe" although I do like certain parts of the "corporation" and do understand it being sort of a passing of the torch from Vince Mcmahon to HHH and his wife eventually for kayfabe and real life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts