Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has WWE lost touch with their African American/ Black audients with stereotypical gimmicks and miss use of talent?

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think you mean audience. And how have they miss used it as of late. I admit Shelton Benjamin was a total miss use but as of late Kofi is always around and in good matches as well as Jackson who seems to be getting some tv time. Even the commentators are pushing him when he makes an appearance. Maybe if we knew how they are being misused we could better answer.

Currently Crime time is gone where they should be.
R Truth is always active and always in the middle of some feud/co host/ or storyline.
Kofi wins most his matches and is most always present.
Alicia Fox, for as bad as she is, had a run with the Diva's title.
Jackson as I said seems to be getting plenty of time on tv.

Is the miss use because they don't all have titles?

Not to mention there was one not long ago that was put into the Vince/Trump feud, went over Vince's fighter and was being pushed to the top at a very fast pace. Lashley had a great chance yet because of things never continued through with them.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I think you mean audience. And how have they miss used it as of late. I admit Shelton Benjamin was a total miss use but as of late Kofi is always around and in good matches as well as Jackson who seems to be getting some tv time. Even the commentators are pushing him when he makes an appearance. Maybe if we knew how they are being misused we could better answer.

Currently Crime time is gone where they should be.
R Truth is always active and always in the middle of some feud/co host/ or storyline.
Kofi wins most his matches and is most always present.
Alicia Fox, for as bad as she is, had a run with the Diva's title.

Is the miss use because they don't all have titles?
I think R-Truth is being misused. He's so horrible when he's out there shuckin and jivin with that stupid gimmick. He'd be better without an embarrassing gimmick.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think R-Truth is being misused. He's so horrible when he's out there shuckin and jivin with that stupid gimmick. He'd be better without an embarrassing gimmick.
And don't forget how bad his new song sucks. One of the things he had was a follow along audience with his entrance. Now they just mumble some words as he stumbles through rapping things that you have a hard time understanding. In ring though I think he gets used well and though he loses at times I feel he is closer to the top level of the mid car division.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
WWE has never had a strong black audience. Because the black presence in wrestling was always minimal.

Who's fault is that? It's ultimately up to you to decide for yourself.

·
Bowing down to the BEAST INCARNATE
4,564 Posts
WWE has never had a strong black audience. Because the black presence in wrestling was always minimal.

I would beg to differ. WWE has always had a good following from the African American/Black audience. My best friend is Haitian and he's the one who introduced me to wrestling in the first place. Whole of our community pretty much watched it and pretty much everyone was Haitian in my neighborhood growing up.

I think it's a matter of demography in varying cities.

The Nation of Domination and The Rock when he burst out on his own was a great rallying presence for the Black audience. (You also maybe add Ahmed Johnson in there as the precursor the 90's movement of that)

But, it is true that, unlike any other professional sports; NBA, NFL & MLB (a part from the NHL) the top 5 personalities of those sports would have to include 4/5 or even 3/5 African Americans/Blacks. But the WWE had rarely 1/5 even. And that one was The Rock. I don't even think that Lashley fit in there because there had to be 5 more pre-dominant figures in the company other than him at each point and time.

The audience has always been there, but, not necessarily the talent. Then again, would you book two mediocre Afros over to great Caucasians in your WrestleMania main event based on talent?

I'd think either way, you'd choose the latter based on talent, and that in Wrestling, color has never been an issue, especially past 1985. (Exceptions notwithstanding)

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
in Wrestling, color has never been an issue, especially past 1985. (Exceptions notwithstanding)
Is this what you think? Fine.

Everyone has a right to come to their own conclusions. I wholeheartedly disagree.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Yeah, to a point. But at the end of the day, green is still the color that matters most. WWE isn't stupid enough to not push someone they can make money off of, just because of race. It's still a business run by businessmen. It sucks that MVP has his criminal background. Otherwise, he would've been the next black guy to be pushed to the main event. He's the one guy I see that has the total package. Maybe Kofi too.

But I don't think it's right to just push any black guy, just to say you did it. The guy has to have the skills. Last thing WWE needs is a Token. That would make it worse.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
BULL-SHIT. WWE has a ton of black fans and a lot more whole families who watch together too. At least in my experience. Its pretty popular. As far as live event attendance, thats a different story.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts

That is so not true.

I know more black people that wrestling than I know white people that watch wrestling.

As a black person who was brought up in a black family, when RAW & Smackdown used to come on in the Attitude Era we would stop what we were doing and the whole family would sit and watch together.

But I gotta admit the major blow to the African-American audience was The Rock.

Everyone loved The Rock, most of my family watched just for The Rock and when he left a lot of them stopped caring.

I kinda agree with you said. WWE needs to push just one black guy out there to represent for the black people much like Rey Mysterio does for the latinos and Wade Barrett does for the English.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There's a pretty awful premise in this thread, which is assuming that black fans will only watch wrestling if there are black wrestlers. Maybe it's me, but I could care less if a wrestler is white, black, or (painted) gold - I watch for the wrestling, sometimes for the promos. Up front, I'm not a minority, so maybe I don't "get it" or something, but I think it's pretty sad to think that a child in 2010 will only watch an entertaining show if it features performers that are the same race as he is.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
There's a pretty awful premise in this thread, which is assuming that black fans will only watch wrestling if there are black wrestlers. Maybe it's me, but I could care less if a wrestler is white, black, or (painted) gold - I watch for the wrestling, sometimes for the promos. Up front, I'm not a minority, so maybe I don't "get it" or something, but I think it's pretty sad to think that a child in 2010 will only watch an entertaining show if it features performers that are the same race as he is.
I'm not implying that.

Because honestly most black people I know still watch wrestling and the ones who don't stopped watching when the AE ended.

Black people (which I am too) love John Cena and Randy Orton and Undertaker.

Race has nothing to do with it.

But what I was saying was that black people were in love with The Rock because he was the black guy they could relate to just like Rey is to the Hispanics and Khali to the Indians.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm not implying that.

Because honestly most black people I know still watch wrestling and the ones who don't stopped watching when the AE ended.

Black people (which I am too) love John Cena and Randy Orton and Undertaker.

Race has nothing to do with it.

But what I was saying was that black people were in love with The Rock because he was the black guy they could relate to just like Rey is to the Hispanics and Khali to the Indians.
I didn't say you were implying it. I think I understood what you meant. I meant what I said - the premise of the thread... the OP is suggesting that the WWE has lost their black audience because the WWE has mishandled black superstars (like MVP, Benjamin, Kingston, etc.) which implies that the black audience only watches for black superstars. That's the issue that I think is dead wrong and undercuts all the arguments in the thread.

I lived in New Orleans and went to WWE events there, and there were a lot of black fans and they rooted for everyone - Cena above anyone.

·
Banned
542 Posts
This would be the last place where i though race wouldn't be a issue but i guess i was wrong. Im black i watch weekly all 3 shows. Doesn't matter if the wrestlers are black, white, yellow or blue as long as they entertain me im happy.

I dont think that they lost their black audience because the black wrestlers that they have now havent gotten a main event push theres a reason for everything.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Monday Night Raw has always been highly rated among Black Audiences. I remember reading an article a few years back saying that it was one of the most watches shows by African Americans. I don't know if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it still is.

As a black wrestling fan, having a Black wrestler in the main event isn't that important. It would be cool if it happened, though.

I remember growing up being really excited when Ron Simmons won the WCW Title. Then later on, I gravitated toward Harlem Heat, The Rock, Nation of Domination, Shelton Benjamin.

I think it's great to have Black Wrestlers in prominent roles on wrestling shows. African Americans are a demographic that it would be smart to keep.

That's why John Cena always makes appearances on 106th and Park on BET. Even though, he obviously isn't Black. He goes on that show because the ratings Raw gets from African Americans.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
Vince McMahon is a 65 year old Republican who had a Kofi Kingston that was RED HOT with fans to kick off the year but because he wasn't lilly white enough or who they planned to shove down throats(Sheamus), he got held back and became a spot novelty by WM 26. And it doesn't end there. Benjamin got buried for every new reason you could imagine they could sneak on the dirt sheets where gullible fans ate it up like bread and butter. So it is what it is...pretty boys like Orton/Cena and anything of that sort is what they what on top in Connecticut these days.

As for who or what the African American audience like? They probably pull towards Orton and Undertaker more than anyone else and I would guess they are enjoying this storyline with Wade Barrett punking everyone including Cena.

·
Registered
559 Posts
ill admit there seems to be a bias against blacks in the main event scene. but i feel like it only appears that way. like bobby lashley if he stuck around he woulda been world champion within the year. then you have shelton, although he was beast in the ring, he was pretty cruddy on the mic. r-truth imo with a slight gimmick change in the future, he'll be world champ. he has the crowd behind him no matter what we on the iwc hate about him. i dont really have an excuse for mvp aside from the fact i just cant picture him in the M/E scene. his criminal backround has nothing to do with it. im pretty positive batista has one too.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Yes, it's true less black people are watching due to less black wrestlers getting titles. Black people definitely do gravitate towards black wrestlers whether they tell you they do or not. It's just natural. So yes, I think Vince is alienating his black audience for the white and mexican audience. There were plenty of black wrestlers that should have been treated right and gotten a title:

Bobby Lashley, Shelton Benjamin, Booker T, Ezekial Jackson(till he gets something), Kofi Kingston(see Zeke), Tarver(see Zeke), MVP, etc. It's just a fact, black people rarely get pushed in WWE.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts