Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this list of released WWE alumni and it has me very curious. Do you think within the last year - year and a half that WWE has gone soft with not releasing talents? It's never good to see people lose their jobs, but it always does help freshen up the product. These lists here are from the last 8 years. Everybody on the list were MAIN ROSTER, not even including development talent except for a few exceptions. If anything, it will be fun to go through and see if you get any old memories from these guys... but it goes to show especially towards the end that WWE hasn't really done that great of a job with keeping their rosters up to date.
Even some of the referees/authority figures were involved in some storylines to some capacity. Benoit, Guerrero and Moolah are some exceptions.

2004-
A-Train, Billy Gunn, Brock Lesnar, Chavo Classic, Chris Kanyon, Ernest "The Cat" Miller, Goldberg, Grandmaster Sexy, Jacqueline, Johnny Stamboli, Linda Miles, Nidia, Raven, Rico, Rikishi, Rue DeBona, Sable, Sakoda, Sean O'Haire, Scott Steiner, Terri Runnels, Ultimo Dragon, Zach Gowen
(23 main roster releases)

-2005-
Aaron Aguilera, Akio,Amy Weber, Blue Meanie, Bubba Ray Dudley, Christy Hemme, Charlie Hass, Daniel Puder, Dave Hebner, Dawn Marie, D-Von Dudley, Earl Hebner, Eddie Guerrero(obviously), Gangrel, Jim Cornettte, Joy Giovani, Hiroka, Kenzo Suzuki, Lance Storm, Luther Reigns, Mark Jindrek, Maven, Miss Jackie, Molly Holly, Muhammad Hassan, Rhyno, Spike Dudley
(28 main roster releases)

-2006-
Animal, Antonio, Bob Orton, Chad Dick, Danny Doring, Frankie Kazarian, Gunner Scott, Heidenreich, Kid Kash, Kurt Angle, James Dick, Joey Mercury, Johnny Parisi, Juventud Guerrero, Lita, Orlando Jordan, Palmer Cannon, Psicosis, Romeo, Rosey, Stacy Keibler, Tajiri, Trish Stratus,
(23 main roster releases)

-2007-
Ariel, Booker T, Brooke, Chris Benoit(obviously), Chris Nowinski, Danny Basham, Dan Rodman, Davari, Doug Basham, Eric Bishoff, Jake Gymini, Jazz, Jesse Gymini, Kristal, Hulk Hogan, Marcus Cor Von, Mitch, Rene Dupree, Rob Conway, Rob Van Dam, Rodney Mac, Sabu, Sandman, Scotty 2 Hotty, Sharmall, Simon Dean, Sylvan, Sylvester Terkay, Tatanka, Test, Vito
(32 main roster releases)

-2008-
Armando Estrada, Al Snow, Ashley, Balls Mahoney, Big Daddy V, Bobby Lashley, Braden Walker, Cherry, Chuck Palumbo, Colin Delaney, Dave Taylor, Domino, Elijah Burke, James Curtis, Jonathan Coachman, Kenny Dykstra, Lance Cade, Lena Yada, Mick Foley, Nick Patrick, Nunzio, Paul London, Ric Flair, Robbie McAllister, Rory McAllister, Shannon Moore, Snitsky, Steven Richards, Super Crazy, Torrie Wilson, Trevor Murdoch , (TNA's Rob Terry)
(31 main roster releases)

-2009-
Bam Neely, Boogeyman, Candice Michelle, D-Lo Brown, Eugene, Gavin Spears, Hardcore Holly, Jeff Hardy, JBL, Kevin Thorn, Kizarny, Manu, Mike Adamle, Mr. Kennedy, Ricky Ortiz, Ron Simmons, Ryan Braddock, Scotty Goldman(Colt Cabana), Sim Snuka, Tazz, The Brian Kendrick, Umaga, Val Venis, Victoria, Referee Tim White, TE3 Matt Cappotelli, Tyson Tomko(back in development)
(27 main roster releases)

-2010-
Ashley, Batista, Carlito, Caylen Croft, Charlie Hass, Chris Jericho, DJ Gabriel, Eric Escobar, Gregory Helms, Jamie Keyes, Jillian Hall, Jimmy Wang Yang, Katie Lee, Kaval, Kung Fu Naki, Luke Gallows, Maria, Matt Hardy, Mickie James, Mike Knox, MVP, Paul Burchill, Savannah, Serena, Shad, Shawn Michaels, Slam Master J, Shelton Benjamin, Tiffany, Tommy Dreamer, Tony Atlas, Vance Archer
(32 main roster releases)

-2011-
Chavo Guerrero, Chris Masters, Edge, Gail Kim, David Hart Smith, Finley, Lucky Cannon, Jacob Novak, Maryse, Melina, Michael Tarver, Paul Bearer, Vladimir Kozlov
(13 main roster releases)

-2012-
Andy Levine, Goldust, John Morrison, The Bella Twins
(5 main roster releases thus far...)

It looks like the past year and a half(so far) WWE has been very generous.

But as you can see the past year and a half there really isn't much "spring cleaning". In fact if you look back at a lot of the 2006-2010 releases imagine how the rosters would be with some of those guys still around.
Do you think part of the reason why the product is so stale is because its been a long time since we had a major roster shake up?
Obviously its never good to see someone lose their job… but if history repeats itself are we in for a well needed spring cleaning to weed out the old and bring in the fresh and new? The ironic part is a majority of the wrestlers who get released are guys who were pushed in the mid-card AND main event… so it wouldn't be too far fetched to say that guys like Miz, Truth, Kingston, Dibiase, Swagger, Bourne could be on borrowed time?

This is not meant to be a WHO DO YOU think will be fired... but based on the past history is WWE due for a major 20-30 main roster spring cleaning... which seems like a lot of people but look at the history... its not out of the norm, ... in fact 2011-2012 have been very quiet years thus far.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I have read that this because of Linda.That would be bad for her if she would had a husband who firee many people

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Morrison and the Bellas weren't released btw. Their contracts ended and they walked away.

What exactly is this obsession with releasing low carders? I honestly don't understand it. There is nobody left on the damn roster to begin with. It's ridiculously thin to the point where their jobber royals are pretty much scraping the barrel. Nobody needs to be released at this point. They need to be used. And that can easily coincide with new faces being brought in, especially considering a load of those new faces could potentially be lower card NXT/Superstars guys and gals who we never get to see. A mass spring cleaning would be so stupid at this point. 20-30 releases? Are there even 30 people left on the roster?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
They haven't really released that much talent this year due to the lack of depth on the roster. Most of the roster cutting in previous years was due to cost cutting. They probably don't have to do that now because a lot of wrestlers are probably making the minimum that WWE offers.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
They've really released everybody they can afford to lose in reality. People need to relaize these low card guys are needed. You can't jsut replace them with FCW guys b/c those FCW guys are guys they may wantto push as future ME or mid-card guys so they can;t have them on TV jobbing.

·
Banned
833 Posts
its not out of the norm, ... in fact 2011-2012 have been very quiet years thus far.

LOL? CM Punk's shoot, Edge's retire :)sad:), Taker vs Triple H 19-0 with spec. guest referee HBK, Rock's Returm, Rock vs Cena and you call theese 2 years quiet? Tell me more how much u care about. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
WWEs roster was filled with WCW/ECW guys, so obviously there'd be lots of releases. The roster today is basically a normal roster again.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Morrison and the Bellas weren't released btw. Their contracts ended and they walked away.

What exactly is this obsession with releasing low carders? I honestly don't understand it. There is nobody left on the damn roster to begin with. It's ridiculously thin to the point where their jobber royals are pretty much scraping the barrel. Nobody needs to be released at this point. They need to be used. And that can easily coincide with new faces being brought in, especially considering a load of those new faces could potentially be lower card NXT/Superstars guys and gals who we never get to see. A mass spring cleaning would be so stupid at this point. 20-30 releases? Are there even 30 people left on the roster?
Because everyone here, myself included, hates the status quo. It wouldn't upend the current arrangement or anything, but it would be something the WWE couldn't revert or go back on. Such a move may or may not provide change, but it would definitiely provide the prospect of change in the form of fresh faces which so many of us desperately want.

·
Banned
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because everyone here, myself included, hates the status quo. It wouldn't upend the current arrangement or anything, but it would be something the WWE couldn't revert or go back on. Such a move may or may not provide change, but it would definitiely provide the prospect of change in the form of fresh faces which so many of us desperately want.
Do you think that WWE prematurely released some of their mid-carders and jobbers? Or would it be a good idea to high some back, and switch things around.

Even if Smackdown "results" were to become similar too the following
Sin Cara def. The Brian Kendrick
Antonio Cesaro def. Matt Hardy
Damien Sandow def. MVP
Brodus Clay def. Paul Burchil

would the product be "Fresher" and better if it wasn't the same people being "squashed" all the time?

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
It's because of the WWE Network and the fact that NXT hasn't transitioned into FCW/NXT yet. They don't want to cut people until these plans are figured out. So jobbers/lower carders are safe until NXT is finalized. And midcarder and higher will likely find a place on the network on some show.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Trust me, I hate the status quo too. I rarely even bother watching Raw/Smackdown these days. I just fail to see how releasing a ton of low carders- who are never used anyway- will somehow shift it. Like I said earlier, they shouldn't be concerned with getting rid of those guys; they should be putting them the fuck on television. The scene could be shaken up if they just stopped playing around and began using guys like Tyson Kidd, Johnny Curtis, Derrick Bateman, JTG, Justin Gabriel, Hawkins & Reks etc that have been absolute goldmines on NXT. Mix them in with new FCW names, and you have a halfway decent roster again. Releasing the dudes who are used- Miz, Kofi, Swagger etc like OP mentioned- would be colossally stupid, considering those are the ones who are on the verge of breaking out into stardom. Well, Swagger's debatable, but, y'know.

I'm chuffed about the arrivals of guys like Sandow and Cesaro, but that should not come at the expense of the ones who have been toiling in the undercard for god knows how long now. We don't need divide and conquer bullshit, we need a roster of fully utilized talent from the top of the card right to the bottom.

·
Banned
990 Posts
1. It's due to Linda's senate campaign. They don't want to fire people with the economy being so bad as it's bad PR. (Source: Dirtsheets)

2. They can't really afford to lose anybody anyway because of all the suspensions and injuries.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
The roster is paper thin, whilst there are plenty of guys not getting on TV they are all needed at the moment because of all the injuries and suspensions.
These guys might not get on TV but they do get on at the house shows and then there is Superstars and NXT.

JTG is about the only person that serves little or no purpose.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
I think its weird how the yearly releases havent happened yet. Maybe theres not gonna be one. Plus there has been a few talents that have left the company so maybe the current roster is to thin to release anyone

1 - 20 of 24 Posts