Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former WWE writer John Piermarini discussed the idea of turning John Cena heel. Interestingly enough Piermarini claims there were discussions to turn him during the Nexus angle.

·
Providing For My Family
6,868 Posts
I think a John Cena heel turn during the Nexus angle would have been very good and really made the Nexus the most successful stable in recent memory.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
I listened to this a week ago or so, and it doesn't surprise me the topic arose of Cena turning heel and joining the Nexus, backstage. It's something that had to come up, because the opportunity was right there, it was the perfect set-up. I do understand why they didn't go for it though. Like the guy said, if Cena turns heel he should run through the competition until a new guy steps up as the ultimate babyface. Cena turning heel is too big of a deal to do 4/5 months before WrestleMania and then end his momentum by losing to a face Orton.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Yeah, and who's gonna be the face of the company if that were to happen right now, CM Punk?

No thanks.
It would obviously be Orton. But WCW didn't have a "top face" for a while too when Hogan turned heel to form the nWo. They had a top heel, which can draw as well. Obviously Sting came along, and after that Goldberg, but still.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
I think he said the same thing that many people on here has already said for six months now and i know that i did once The Rock had returned and Cena/Rock was beginning to be teased for some point. I said that John Cena turning heel has to be a major thing because he is the biggest star in the wrestling industry and his heel turn could spark a new era in WWE and could do great business. It would open up fresh feuds and also give a brand new twist on already done feuds but the main thing it would do would be to create a new superstar face with the person or people who replace John Cena as top face.

Just imagine the reaction if all of this "conspiracy" storyline ends at WrestleMania with John Cena turning heel on The Rock after beating The Rock and then think what the ratings would be like the next night. Even though Randy Orton, CM Punk and Sheamus are nowhere near the same level as John Cena as far as star power and being a draw goes but as someone else said WCW never really had a definitive top face in between mid 1996 and mid 1997 until Sting became regularly active again with his constant run ins so i don't see why WWE couldn't do the same until someone else was built up or faith was put in one of those three.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
When was the last time WWE was without a "top face"? Oh that's right... the days of Evolution... back when there was just a top heel in Triple H. Who was created during that era? Oh, only the most successful stars to be featured in the current era.

Fact is, when Cena turns heel there will be several guys who can step up and potentially benefit... becoming massive face stars in their own right.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I dont buy people saying cm punk cant be the top face in the buisness. Im sorry did you miss the entire summer of wwe programming. he has set crowds on fire with his promos, has great in ring talent and charisma. his t shirt is the top seller. i dont see the logic in people saying he cant carry the ball

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
When was the last time WWE was without a "top face"? Oh that's right... the days of Evolution... back when there was just a top heel in Triple H. Who was created during that era? Oh, only the most successful stars to be featured in the current era.

Fact is, when Cena turns heel there will be several guys who can step up and potentially benefit... becoming massive face stars in their own right.
Exactly. There are no major heels right now and there hasnt been for nearly five years. They are all just Cena fodder.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts

I kind of agree with everything you said other than there were no top faces as Goldberg, Shawn Michaels, Chris Benoit, Kane, Booker T and Chris Jericho were all around in between 2003 and 2005 when Evolution were around before Randy Orton and then Batista both left Evolution. Any one of those names bar Kane and Booker T would be top face on Raw right now if John Cena turned heel as they were all big names in the wrestling industry and believable top faces. Triple H may have been the main focus of Raw in that period but there was so much more star power availabe to WWE back then on Raw alone without even mentioning what they had on SmackDown as well.

·
Banned
13,706 Posts
They surely have discussed it before.

The problem is that nobody is near the star power of John Cena to be the top face.
CM Punk says hi

·
Registered
977 Posts
Cena turning heel would give Miz the chance to step into the face role imo. He certainly has it in him (in a Rock kinda way). Punk is more your SCSA than your Rock. Tweener/anti-hero rather than outright face.

Wade should get a heel push soon. I just see a lot of Heel-HHH in him.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Cena turning heel is a big fucking deal, it should happen at Mania and nowhere else.
Cena turning heel at SurvivorSeries could have the (kayfabe or real, depending on your outlook) potential to 'destroy' the spectacle that is Mania. Especially if teamHHH is essentially an AttitudeEra DreamTeam.

Could somehow lead to a storyline of Vince returnin to save Mania and (in turn) save WWE.

Somethin like that anyway haha

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
I don't know what you mean.

Anyway, they're crazy for thinking Miz could be the standalone top guy before Punk. Although, I can see them both at the top together being like the new Austin and Rock of this era with Cena being the superheel.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Like others have said, Cean beating the Rock and then turning on him in front of his hometown crowd at Mania will cause a ripple effect around the entire company and hopefully the business. Everybody would watch the following RAW.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts