Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the back of how Raw ended last week with CM Punk seemingly the leader of The Nexus and having been a HUGE fan of his since his Ring of Honor days last night, or this morning, for the first time in a while i couldn't wait to watch Raw but not just because of CM Punk but also how WWE were going to tie in the fact that Wade Barrett had returned and John Cena had suffered an injury in their match at a live show. Last week in all honesty didn't make too much sense too me in regards to CM Punk leading The Nexus when CM Punk was also attacked when The Nexus made their debut and also had no interaction with them throughout the whole exsistence of the stable either.

I understand that WWE want to keep the whole storyline between John Cena and The Nexus going but it would have made much more sense in having the whole group of tv for a while and then return at WrestleMania or The Elimination Chamber and cost John Cena his match and save Cena/Punk for a time when it could have been just them two in a one on one feud with all of the focus on them rather than a rehashed version of the biggest storyline of the year. If Cena/Nexus had to continue then it should have been Cena/Nexus and not Cena/Nexus/Punk because it may have already messed up Cena/Punk for the first feud between them because it isn't really Cena/Punk and more Cena/Nexus again just rebooted.

When CM Punk attacked John Cena the night after the TLC PPV i was highly excited because it meant CM Punk was getting a HUGE push whilst John Cena was getting to work with the best all round in ring performer the company has now Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho are gone not too mention the fact that i am fan's of both men and though The Nexus were obviously now about to feud with The Undertaker upon his return. Now though WWE creative has managed to leave Wade Barrett in limbo despite the fact he was the best breakthrough star of 2010 and was seen by many as the top heel in the company and now Wade Barrett will either have a pointless face turn which i pray doesn't happen or will go on his own on the back of a loss and with no momentum to go with it.

I think that WWE creative has messed everything up already with John Morrison having his test main event run wasted in a match on Raw which was definitely better than anything Randy Orton could have conjured up with The Miz and now we will see Orton/Miz at The Royal Rumble instead of Morrison/Miz which it should have been. We have also now seen Cena/Punk wasted in a rebooted Cena/Nexus storyline and Wade Barrett left in limbo and it is now hard to see where Wade Barrett gos from here, Cena/Punk should have been saved until after WrestleMania if they were so desperate for The Nexus to stay around and it looks like WWE creative have been taking lessons from their TNA counterparts.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
I dunno, I mean I think this was the best way to move forward with the storyline. The feud is really Punk/Cena with Nexus as Punk's support. While CM Punk is the new leader - he is from the outside. Don't forget that he assumed leadership of Nexus after his attacks on Cena following TLC.

I think that Barrett being kicked out of Nexus through Punk's actions last night was to set up a move for Barrett to Smackdown...a move in which I am almost positive he will stay heel. The crowd has no reason to cheer for him. None. He is still the man who spear headed Nexus' attacks on Cena and that has not been forgotten. I have no doubts that Barrett's pressence, reputation and mic skills will allow him to thrive as a big player, heel, singles competitor.

I think Punk/Cena is going to be riden out through Wrestlemania which I believe to be the best move possible. I find it to be the best way to keep Nexus relevant as the top threat on Raw. WWE couldn't continue Barrett/Cena after the way the chairs match ended at TLC (besides the storyline was starting to run its course), so who would the group go after next? Taker is still out with an injury and he is the only bigger dog in WWE than Cena. Any other feud would have been a down grade for Nexus. Adding Punk as the leader bring some fresh air to the already established Cena/Nexus storyline while showcasing a brand new feud in Punk/Cena.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Well, I agree that I would have preferred a one on one feud rather than the Nexus/Cena storyline continue. After the way they've been battling all year, I think the Nexus storyline should have ended with a Cena vs Barrett match but I still think Punk will do a good job.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dunno, I mean I think this was the best way to move forward with the storyline. The feud is really Punk/Cena with Nexus as Punk's support. While CM Punk is the new leader - he is from the outside. Don't forget that he assumed leadership of Nexus after his attacks on Cena following TLC.

I think that Barrett being kicked out of Nexus through Punk's actions last night was to set up a move for Barrett to Smackdown...a move in which I am almost positive he will stay heel. The crowd has no reason to cheer for him. None. He is still the man who spear headed Nexus' attacks on Cena and that has not been forgotten. I have no doubts that Barrett's pressence, reputation and mic skills will allow him to thrive as a big player, heel, singles competitor.
I think Punk/Cena is going to be riden out through Wrestlemania which I believe to be the best move possible. I find it to be the best way to keep Nexus relevant as the top threat on Raw. WWE couldn't continue Barrett/Cena after the way the chairs match ended at TLC (besides the storyline was starting to run its course), so who would the group go after next? Taker is still out with an injury and he is the only bigger dog in WWE than Cena. Any other feud would have been a down grade for Nexus. Adding Punk as the leader bring some fresh air to the already established Cena/Nexus storyline while showcasing a brand new feud in Punk/Cena.
The thing is though that the feud between John Cena and CM Punk is now based around CM Punk taking over The Nexus and because of the fact that John Cena has feuded through half of 2010 with The Nexus that will remain the main focus of the feud regardless of whether CM Punk brings a new dynamic to it. The only plus in all of this is the fact that Wade Barrett would have to move to SmackDown if he is not part of The Nexus because him being on Raw hangs a HUGE shadow over the CM Punk led Nexus and he couldn't be on Raw without feuding with them after being kicked out of the group and i can see Wade Barrett assuming the top heel role on SmackDown.

The main problem with Cena/Punk though is the fact that Randy Orton has now become the number one contender for the WWE title and will most likely win against The Miz which most likely means Cena/Orton at WrestleMania 27 which begs the question of where Cena/Punk would happen. It won't happen at The Royal Rumble as both men will almost certainly be involved in the actual rumble match and i would imagine at least one of them would be in the Raw Elimination Chamber match at that PPV as well so it as if WWE creative just threw Cena/Punk together pointlessly.

Unless John Cena and CM Punk is to happen at WrestleMania 27 as the Raw main event then it is pointless because a Raw main event at WrestleMania without John Cena i'm afraid will not work as there wouldn't be a major draw involved. Randy Orton is leagues behind John Cena as a draw and Triple H who is a long way behind as well but probably the second biggest on Raw will almost certainly face Sheamus for the second year in a row, The Miz is at least a year away from being believable in the main event of the biggest night of the year and John Morrison nowhere near big enough so having Cena/Punk now will have just caused major problems unless it is main eventing WrestleMania 27.

Well, I agree that I would have preferred a one on one feud rather than the Nexus/Cena storyline continue. After the way they've been battling all year, I think the Nexus storyline should have ended with a Cena vs Barrett match but I still think Punk will do a good job.
A one on one feud between these two with no one and nothing else involved could have been golden seeing how it would have been the first feud between these two and it would have allowed CM Punk to have been built back up as he has spent the last six or seven months jobbing to Rey Mysterio and The Big Show and hasn't had a meaningful win since against Rey Mysterio last year but yet is now leading The Nexus and feuding with the biggest star in the company. I'm not knocking having CM Punk in such a big feud because i love CM Punk and have done since Ring of Honor but he does need to be built back up and a feud between John Cena and CM Punk as the main event of SummerSlam would have been much better for everyone involved.

As you said after the way John Cena and the Wade Barrett led Nexus have battled all year the whole storyline had to end with a Cena/Barrett match espcecially considering the fact that they have one win each from the feud in a one on one match with Wade Barrett at Hell in a Cell and John Cena at TLC so they needed a rubber match to finish things once and for all. They could have had CM Punk come back and feud with Randy Orton up until the Elimination Chamber PPV so John Morrison could feud with The Miz for the same amount of time and have John Cena win The Royal Rumble after eliminating Wade Barrett last and then at The Elimination Chamber PPV it could have been Cena/Barrett 3 with stipulations of John Cena's WrestleMania title shot on the line against The Nexus disbanding for good whilst Raw's Elimination Chamber match would be Morrison/Miz/Orton/Punk/Triple H/Sheamus.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Nexus hasn't been the top threat on Raw since Summerslam. Everything after August has been creative beating on a dead horse. They went from being an intimidating stable that destroyed anyone in their path, to a bunch of cowards whose leader repeatedly failed to win the WWE Championship, to now being a group of pussies unable to stand on their own two feet, and in need of another WWE superstar to save them from fading away. The only guy they've messed with in the past 6 months has been Cena, not the rest of the Raw roster.

Are they still around? Yes. Are they still a threat? Fuck no.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
Nexus hasn't been the top threat on Raw since Summerslam. Everything after August has been creative beating on a dead horse. They went from being an intimidating stable that destroyed anyone in their path, to a bunch of cowards whose leader repeatedly failed to win the WWE Championship, to now being a group of pussies unable to stand on their own two feet, and in need of another WWE superstar to save them.
Kayfabe wise, yes, they have been the top threat on Raw. Top heel threat that is. Who would you say has been more of a heel threat?? Sheamus? Miz? Please :rolleyes:. Both of them had their involvment in the WWE Title picture (Miz only recently), which has NOT been the focal point of Raw. The Nexus/Cena storyline has. The only time the WWE Title was back in the main event picture was when Barrett challenged Orton for it with Cena as the ref. And even then, the bigger issue at hand was Cena being free or fired, not who was the champion.

John Cena and Randy Orton, the two top faces on Raw and had all of the end of 2010 tied up with Nexus business. I would say that constitutes being the top Raw heel(s).

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I don't think the story is messed up yet. Only Cena's injury derailed it.

Also Barrett should not go to SD! Remember Kaval? People were saying how he's gonna shine on SD but look at him, they buried the crap out of him and had nothing for him, which led him out of the company. Let them not do the same to Wade. He should just be a tweener for now until the storyline is over.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Also Barrett should not go to SD! Remember Kaval? People were saying how he's gonna shine on SD but look at him, they buried the crap out of him and had nothing for him, which led him out of the company.
Let them not do the same to Wade. He should just be a tweener for now until the storyline is over.
I can't see WWE doing the same thing with Wade Barrett that they did with Kaval if he were to move to SmackDown as Wade Barrett was in the biggest storyline in the wrestling world for half of last year and worked with the biggest star in the industry for all of it as well whilst the biggest thing Kaval was given was him winning NXT. Wade Barrett has shown what he can do and is the size that Vince McMahon whilst also having good mic skills whereas Kaval is small and athletic, great in the ring, hasn't shown any mic skills and came from TNA and that is why Wade Barrett will not be leaving WWE anytime soon.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts

Also Barrett should not go to SD! Remember Kaval? People were saying how he's gonna shine on SD but look at him, they buried the crap out of him and had nothing for him, which led him out of the company. Let them not do the same to Wade. He should just be a tweener for now until the storyline is over.
This. Cena's injury changed things. Normally he would have showed up on RAW obviously, now they have to fill time somehow.

Comparing Kaval to Barrett makes no sense though. Kaval won NXT through internet votes, that's it. Barrett, in his first year in the WWE has main evented several PPV's, was involved in the biggest storyline of 2010 and got a shitload of mic time. They clearly believe in him. Not to mention he's not an indy darling, he's home grown which the WWE likes.

·
Sax Legend of Sax Legend on YouTube
1,254 Posts
On the back of how Raw ended last week with CM Punk seemingly the leader of The Nexus . . . Last week in all honesty didn't make too much sense too me in regards to CM Punk leading The Nexus when CM Punk was also attacked when The Nexus made their debut and also had no interaction with them throughout the whole exsistence of the stable either.
It was never said that CM Punk was their higher power. Otunga said in his promo, "we are under NEW management." It doesn't matter if punk was attacked in the debut of nexus

That's like saying hhh and hbk shouldn't be able to reform dx because they had a feud in the past

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
How in the hell do you compare Wade Barrett to Kaval? Answer that for me.

Wade Barrett has only just recently been dethroned by CM Punk as WWE's top heel. Kaval was relevant for about 2 weeks after winning NXT.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
All I meant was how people said Kaval would get buried if he went to RAW and he would shine and SD would make a new star and all that jazz and SD fucked up. There are only two people they are actually pushing and one of them isn't really looking good recently. I dont want Wade to be ruined.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I'll give my verdict when the storyline is over and done with. I can't tell how things are going just 2 weeks into the frigging thing! There still some unanswered questions.

·
Better than you
890 Posts
I don't know why people insist that Barrett is going to move to Smackdown. If anything, it makes more sense for him to stay on Raw, form a Nexus Wolfpac, possibly join forces with John Cena, and then feud with Nexus.

Alright, fine, the John Cena part is a little far-fetched, but I'm sure Creative can make it work.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I don't know why people insist that Barrett is going to move to Smackdown. If anything, it makes more sense for him to stay on Raw, form a Nexus Wolfpac, possibly join forces with John Cena, and then feud with Nexus.

Alright, fine, the John Cena part is a little far-fetched, but I'm sure Creative can make it work.
Since CM Punk and Wade Barrett had their confrontation in the ring I thought that was the direction WWE was/is going on. I hope it's not.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts