Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

As many you know me that I’m not really on the "Barrett’s bandwagon" but I can’t deny that the man is doing an awesome job of being the top Heel of Monday Night RAW and POSSIBLY of the entire WWE overall. He has been getting tremendous amount of heat from the packed audiences around the world and definitely been playing his villain character perfect. Some people from what I know who are fans of him starting to feel a little bad for Cena.

Has he reached the level of Heel Triple H back in the day of truly being hated?

·
Fighting the feeling...
2,463 Posts
Damn I forgot how fucking cool that old school HHH music is.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,117 Posts
No, but once he finally wins the WWE Championship, I'd bet good money that he is. Fans already truly, deeply detest him. It's not quite as savage as the hatred for Triple H at his absolute height (around December 1999-August 2000, then November 2000-March 2001, then during extended stretches of his Evolution run) but it's truly bordering it at this point.

I've noticed this at a slew of live events in the past number of months: when Nexus comes out, the fans strongly, actively dislike them and boo them heavily. But when Barrett is with Nexus and is the centerpiece/speaks/wrestles, fans at WWE events seem to genuinely hate the guy, or at least as close to it as a fine heel can attract without it being a comment about his performance (Otunga, anyone? or the classic, much-vaunted "X-Pac heat" that gets very overused around these parts).

So... he's getting very close. He's had his "corrupting of purity" angle, ala Triple H turning Steph with him being Cena's boss... he's just missing that last big moment ala Triple H destroying Mick Foley, and in Barrett's case I suspect that will be about winning the WWE Championship. His quest for the title is actually elevating the championship's importance again, which is quite the feat for a supposed "rookie."

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Once The Nexus disappears, then we'll see if Barrett is big f'n deal. I'll hold my judgement until then.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Not just yet, considering the time he has been around though he's doing a fantastic job

·
Banned
3,560 Posts
No where near. Triple H was hated like there was no tomorrow. He had every trick in the book. Barrett hasn't been round long enough to even hope for that heel overness.

·
Premium Member
44,225 Posts
2000 Triple H was one of the greatest heels of all time. I don't think Barrett is anywhere near that.

·
19,117 Posts
I think people need to remember the different time periods with significantly different audiences. Triple H was a masterpiece of a heel in 2000 for that era. I was as big a mark for him at that time as any wrestler. I'm not saying Barrett is at that level creatively, or even in terms of sheer overness as of now, but for the era of WWE he's debuted in, he's about as natural a top heel as this company could ever find.

But, really, this is so tough because heel Triple H around ten years ago was like the Michael Jordan of top heel draws. Barrett just might be LeBron, we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
No. Even Vickie Guerrero is more over than Wade Barrett.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
Please. Barrett is a country mile behind Triple H as a heel. I'll give Barrett credit where it'ss due, but when he's on his own, that'll be the test of whether he's any good as a heel.

The only reason people are rating him atm is because he's a great antagonist to Cena

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
HHH was a mega heel back in his prime, Barrett is very over as a heal but he's not quite on that level.

·
19,117 Posts
Again, as far as people saying that Barrett needs to be out on his own before we can even start to judge him, it has to be remembered that Triple H's heel character was given one of the biggest booster shots ever with the "marriage" to Stephanie, Steph's heel turn and the entire McMahon-Helmsely Faction, in which he reigned supreme as the power-wielding top heel calling all the shots and booking matches every week (a bit like Barrett's begun doing recently), partly protected by a small army of thugs and linked to what turned out to be a very powerful heat magnet in Steph.

Does any of this take away from Triple H? Not in my eyes. Just as Nexus doesn't take away from Barrett.

That said, Barrett remains behind Triple H, but as a fan who went to a lot of shows during both time periods, it's a very respectable margin for a guy the main audience--for the flagship show--had to get to know as the leader of Nexus before anything else.

Reactions: Joel

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
No, been a while since I watched any Raw and I decided to watch a few of the recent ones, see what its like nowadays. Good god, the whole Nexus thing and Wade Barrett is like watching amateur hour. The crowds seem pretty dead and the whole talking segments are snoozefests as none of them (Nexus) can talk.

What happened to the days of wrestlers actually being able to cut promos and talk properly on the mic.

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Triple H was never really over that much - everyone just legit hated his guts for being shoved down everyones throats so much. The push of Triple H was the end of the Attitude Era as it quickly went downhill at August 1999.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts