Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after the last few weeks of raw/smackdown it seems like they are starting to curve back to more mature content. im not saying its the return on the attitude era omgz!!! no, what im sayin is maybe the "new era" is upon us? the commentary alone is getting much more interesting with there subliminal jokes on smackdown and punks hillariousness on raw. the in ring content also seems to be improving with more stiff moves and more risk then we have been use to in the last couple months.

a couple key things i noticed were the chair shots from cena to otunga; usually the way they hit them looks completly harmless, but last night they looked like real chair shots. and when arquette got powerbombed threw the tables it looked damn good. edge torturing bearer could turn dark with the right writting. could this sundays TLC be the day the era begun? i was not interested at all in this ppv untill i seen raw this monday. the divas in a table match? could be entertaining (i didnt say good i said entertaining!). the whole ppv could be very well done if they choose this as the time to usher in the new era.

just some thoughts. feedback?

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
If WWE wants to truly usher in a "new era," the absolute best way to do it is to have Orton vs. Cena as WrestleMania, and have Cena turn heel to win the title.

And, right now, Orton/Cena for the title at WrestleMania looks like an inevitability from where I'm sitting. The seeds were planted at Survivor Series.

Likely? Nah. But the prospects are brighter now than they've been in years.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont know why everyone thinks some mega face needs to turn heel so they can start anew, why cant it just be done with better content over time? i can see how it would mark a spot for the records if they did that. but i dont think its neccesary.

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,101 Posts
i dont know why everyone thinks some mega face needs to turn heel so they can start anew, why cant it just be done with better content over time? i can see how it would mark a spot for the records if they did that. but i dont think its neccesary.
I think it's glaringly obvious that Cena needs to turn heel he's so stale it's untrue, they have massacred the Cena Getting Fired angle.If we are going to be moving into a new era we could probably do without their being an all dominating super man character leading the charge.If Cena remains face they seriously need to adapt his character if he is the one to usher in an edgier era

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
You can obviously improve the show with better content; that's happening as we speak, and has been happening basically since June.

But full-blown "new eras" start with one giant shock. That's a proven fact in wrestling. The two generations that preceded this one were created by one giant shock.

In WCW, it was Hogan turning heel and starting the nWo in '96.

In WWF, the Attitude Era started with the Montreal Screwjob.

In WWF, the Attitude Era ended and gave way to the next era with Austin's turn at WrestleMania 17.

If you as a company want to make a loud and clear statement that "we are changing the direction of our product," that's how you do it.

And John Cena turning heel at WrestleMania is really the only thing big enough to do that. At this point, if executed correctly, I believe it would be the single biggest turn in history. Without exaggeration, mainly because the audience either was indifferent toward or had already turned on Hogan in the spring of '96, whereas today's WWE audience has actually found a newfound affection for Cena through this Nexus angle.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I really don't understand this topic. PG doesn't mean kiddy. There are many shows on TV with mature themes under a PG rating. So the product can mature and take more risks all under PG. So what has happen on RAW is perfect under PG.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't understand this topic. PG doesn't mean kiddy. There are many shows on TV with mature themes under a PG rating. So the product can mature and take more risks all under PG. So what has happen on RAW is perfect under PG.
good point...except i didnt mention the PG-rating at all. i dont think it needs to be pg-13 just not this G shit we been getting. PG works perfectly fine.

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,915 Posts
Well, it definitely got "edgier", though I seriously doubt it's going back to non-PG. If anything, it's testing the limits of PG.

For two weeks straight we had someone call someone else a 'bitch', and Mae saying 'sluts'. Riley dropped the f-bomb when the Miz won his title - though that's more his screw-up than anything else. The abduction angle on SD is quite "out there", especially seeing it is getting "violent". The attacks on Nexus have been "brutal". Gabriel's head smashing a car window, the chairshots, the beatdown in the hotel room. CM Punk's commentary, especially his KKK line on Kofi.

There's a lot of this popping up since after the elections, but I doubt a new era outside of PG is going to come about.

·
1,101 Posts
With the sort of sponsorship deals that WWE have in place it is extremely unlikely they will move away from a pg rating, financially what they are doing at the moment is more sound

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how come even when i put in the damn post "IM NOT SAYING ATTITUDE ERA" everyone still writes "were staying PG" i think ealry 90's was better and that was pg, or does everyone really think there required PG-13 to make a change?

seriously this is not about a frigging rating change!!!

read the post i didnt even mention PG or PG-13, i said a new era, better wrestling and higher spots doesnt mean PG-13. but thanks everyone for de-railing this thread into another bullshit thread about the pg rating system.

·
1,101 Posts
how come even when i put in the damn post "IM NOT SAYING ATTITUDE ERA" everyone still writes "were staying PG" i think ealry 90's was better and that was pg, or does everyone really think there required PG-13 to make a change?

read the post i didnt even mention PG or PG-13, i said a new era, better wrestling and higher spots doesnt mean PG-13. but thanks everyone for de-railing this thread into another bullshit thread about the pg rating system.
woah calm it down a notch buddy we are all friends here.I understand what you mean but simply improving the product isn't really ushering in a new era although of course it's an improvement.The simple fact is the whole PG thing that has been talked to death does come in to play

·
1,101 Posts
Because Linda McMahon's Senate run is over right now, they can pretty much go and do much as far as the PG rating allows them to.
This.obviously they can only push it so far

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,915 Posts

Because wrestling and high spots doesn't mean a new era, retard. (like comments attract ;))

after the last few weeks of raw/smackdown it seems like they are starting to curve back to more mature content.
Attitude Era =/= sole PG14 product

You said it to be more mature, hence people going down the edgier/pushing PG route. They're derailing it about as much as talking about condoms at an AIDs debate.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
a couple key things i noticed were the chair shots from cena to otunga; usually the way they hit them looks completly harmless, but last night they looked like real chair shots.
That's because The Tung sold them like a champ.

I'm sick of him jobbing to talentless hacks like Cena

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,036 Posts
Well I don't think it's even close to getting back to the old WWE, not even WWE 2002/3standard yet. They need better (unpredictable) storylines, they need to rebuild the tag team division. Put more emphasis on the US/I.C Championship, they need to allow more edgier stuff, like not stop wrestling matches when a wrestler gets cut on his head and ruin the momentum and most importantly they need to give the mic back to the wrestlers. Allow them to develop themselves on the mic without having to read from a script. Let's see how The Miz really can do with a mic, or Sheamus or Wade Barrett. Hell I'll even go so far as to say give wrestlers their own input. If they have an idea for a character or how their character could work, then allow them to speak their mind instead of forcing them to play some stupid gimmick and have it fail. These are the type if things that made the attiude era great to watch.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Because wrestling and high spots doesn't mean a new era, retard. (like comments attract ;))

Attitude Era =/= sole PG14 product

You said it to be more mature, hence people going down the edgier/pushing PG route. They're derailing it about as much as talking about condoms at an AIDs debate.

i dont get it im a retard becuase i dont wanna see the cobra or buckets of confetti getting thrown on people? im a retard becuase im tired of hearing promos as mature as a school ground yo mama contest? maybe your just an idiot by calling people retarted for wanting to see something other then a midget fighting an eagle mascot. but i guess wanting to watch a show that has A+ wresting (wich the biggest wrestling company should have) and dialog that doesnt sound like it came out of an archie comic, then i guess i am a retard.

i did say for it to be more mature, and the next line was "im not saying attitude era". when was wwe pg-14? attitude era, whos the retard?

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
When society shifts and calls for it is the only time they will do it imo. Right now they have increased their sponsors, have signed deals with Mattel etc and have been promoting themselves as family friendly for the past few years. They aren't just going to throw that all away unless it is necessary.

As for Cena, I only see him turning heel when they have a new face ready to step in and fill his shoes.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
As for Cena, I only see him turning heel when they have a new face ready to step in and fill his shoes.
Exactly.

Vince had a difficult time finding a replacement for the money spinning Hulkamania.He struck gold with John Cena and his hiphop character,another money spinning act that replaced the Attitude era (e.g Austin,Rock and DX).

He won't throw it away just because it's creatively stale.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts