Wrestling Forum banner

Has the Hall of Fame Become Meaningless?

1872 Views 22 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  VZX
Once a year, on the night before its grandest extravaganza, the WWE honors the men and women it considers to have made the greatest contribution to the sport by inducting them into its Hall of Fame. The inductees need not be wrestlers, but may include those who contributed by building and entertaining. One need not be a Ric Flair, a Vince McMahon or a Bobby Heenan to merit consideration for induction, but most would agree that membership in the Hall should be limited to the very elite who entertained fans in arenas or over the airwaves.

Recently, there have been some inductions that call into question the criteria for membership in the Hall. When people like Koko B Ware and Bob Uecker are seen fit for this highest of honors, one wonders how meaningful membership in the Hall is. Koko was a side attraction and Uecker was famous for being choked by Andre the Giant at some past Wrestlemania. This year's class will include Shawn Michaels, whose induction should set the standard. I hope the rest of the class of 2011 measure half way to that standard.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· "MINUS FIVE STARS"
3,337 Posts
The Hall of Fame is specifically there to boost Vince McMahon's ego. It's a reminder to us all that HE will have the final say on a wrestler's legacy which we, the IWC, know to be complete bullshit. We, the fan, ultimately determine which wrestler or personality stood the test of time and is fitting of the honor of "one of the best". However, since I know of no such IWC hall of fame, we're stuck with McMahon's "vision".

· Premium Member
83,359 Posts
Meaningless is far too strong of a word. But there is very little true prestige about it. Halls of Fame should be reserved for the elite of the elite... WWE's hall of fame has nothing to do with elite. Koko B. Ware is in it for crying out loud.

· Premium Member
83,359 Posts
I think Koko was inducted mainly for the work he did before WWE, in Memphis and other parts of the south.
There was nothing elite about him before WWE was there? I don't recall anyone talking about how elite the guy was.

And if so was it any more elite than Randy Savage?

The WWE Hall of Fame is one step above a joke as far as I'm concerned. But I understand why it means alot to those that get inducted. It should mean even more to those guys that truly deserve it. That are the elite of the elite.

· Registered
16 Posts
Well, all I know is that Koko was part of a tag team down south called the Pretty Young Things, that seemed to be fairly over with the crowd as heels, from what I saw of one old match. It does seem a bit quizzical for him to be inducted, so I was just looking for some kind of explanation.

I DO believe Randy Savage is far more deserving of an induction, but that goes back to the idea of the hall of fame being an extension of Vince's ego...I mean, we have heard all the stories of the bad blood between him and Savage.

· Registered
39 Posts

And if so was it any more elite than Randy Savage?

The WWE Hall of Fame is one step above a joke as far as I'm concerned.

Couldnt have said it better.

No Randy Savage but instead, we will add the guy that he beat (in one of the best Wrestlemania's performances ever)The Million dollar man. Then we will add Koko B Ware, William Perry and for shits and giggles we will add The Junk Yard Dog and Paul Orndoff.

Why isnt the Rock in again?

· What's Causing All This?
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the Hall was always meaningless? Well just like boxing recognizes Ring Magazine's champion as the real world champion, maybe PWI should institute its Hall of Fame and induct only deserving candidates. That is, if it doesn't have one already.

· Registered
20,782 Posts
No, it is still quite prestigious. Koko B. Ware shouldn't be in it but whatever. As for Bob Uecker, he is part of the celebrity wing of the HOF which is just an honorary thing for celebrities who contributed to the WWE.

· What's Causing All This?
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't take the HOF seriously at all, as has been mentioned Koko B. Ware is in it while Randy Savage isn't. That's kind of like the equivalent of putting Darko Milicic in the basketball HOF before Michael Jordan.

I didn't even pay attention to the Hall until I noticed they were inducting Koko and Uecker. I attributed Koko's induction to racial tokenism but I couldn't find a shred of rationale for Uecker's. BTW, can somebody tell why Randy Savage has been overlooked? Is it because he defected to WCW?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.