Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think it has.

Was watching SSeries last night and wanted to put my foot through the TV.

Firstly there's no real heel colour commentator, which in a 3 man booth is ridiculous. You need a heel commentator to introduce something that every story in history has needed: conflict. At the moment we've got three guys all saying how great John Cena is, no one sticking up for the heel and excusing their tactics like Jesse, Brain and Heel King used to do. JBL sometimes sticks up for people like Orton etc but he's in no way what a heel announcer should be.

Secondly they barely talk about the wrestlers or the fucking matches! 70% is this ridiculous boring banter between the three, with JBL constantly criticising Cole and making fun of his announcing. What happened to talking about the story of the match and putting over the wrestlers? They need to point out to us these guys are amazing athletes doing amazing moves in there.

Thirdly they barely ever get excited about anything. They speak in these hushed monotones and don't act like any of the match is important unless Cena is on a comeback. JR used to scream and act outraged like he was witnessing murder in public. He made you care about the story.

It really gets my goat and it's one of the main reasons I barely ever watch RAW or a whole PPV any more.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Heel Cole and ineffectual babyface Lawler was worse - Cole would actively bury acts like Daniel Bryan as boring and Lawler just sat there doing nothing.

At least Cole is back to the more neutral play-by-play announcer and JBL, while annoying, actively tries to put over most acts be they face or heel.

Reactions: x78

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Agreed. I found Cole slurping off Miz every week even more annoying than his insulting of all the faces, and Lawler was just as bad back then too.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heel Cole and ineffectual babyface Lawler was worse - Cole would actively bury acts like Daniel Bryan as boring and Lawler just sat there doing nothing.

At least Cole is back to the more neutral play-by-play announcer and JBL, while annoying, actively tries to put over most acts be they face or heel.
That's true I guess, but atleast there was some more story and drama to what they were staying, now it just seems like no one gives a fuck.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I said this Monday night watching Raw. They are too busy trying to be funny (can't emphasize trying enough) If i was Vince i would be screaming at them to start calling the fucking action. Everyone can say JBL is awesome all they want, but the guy has been nothing short of fucking atrocious since he has been back. Lawler has been horrendous for years now and Cole is annoying as hell. If the crowd is a bad crowd (which is 95% of the time) i usually watch raw on mute with some music playing, until a promo happens.

Reactions: Luchini

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Yeah, it was much, much worse during most of 2011 and 2012 before Lawler's heart attack. Cole's heel play-by-play commentary was horrendous and pretty much destroyed the product during that period.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Best announcing times:

- Lawler and JR in attitude era as well as 03/04
- tazz and Cole when cole was younger and bearable
- Lawler and Vince 96 when Lawler was hilarious and Vince was always so professional
- WCW team with Heenan and the head guy Chivani or some shit
- Heyman and JR 2001 especially wrestle mania X7

Man I will never forget this by heyman during TLC 2 when Rhyno pushed the ladder with Bubba and Matt on it to the outside over 4 tables;

Heyman: "RHYNO, THE MAN BEAST, FROM DETROIT MICHIGAN, HAS MADE THE MOST SIGNIFICANT IMPACT AT TABLES LADDERS AND CHAIRS, HERE TONIGHT!"

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
No one was fucking worse than Matt striker

Reactions: Mr Heisenberg

·
Registered
537 Posts
And when fucking Cole does the fakest laugh I feel like killing myself, as well as when Lawler makes his STUPIDDDD TERRIBLE jokes.

And when the Usos yell "OUUSS" and JBL says "OH" I feel like smashing everything.

When JBL says "WHATS UP" it was funny at first, now it's annoying.

But the absolute worst has got to go to Cole during these moments:

- During El Torito 'gore' "GORE! GORE! GORE!"
- "CENA CENA CENA HES GOT THE STF, CENA CENA IS HE GONNA TAP, IS HE GONNA TAP, CENA, CENA"

AND FUCKING LAWLER'S "THE CHAMP, IS, HERE" IS SOOOOO AWFUL AND CRINGE WORTHY!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I said this Monday night watching Raw. They are too busy trying to be funny (can't emphasize trying enough) If i was Vince i would be screaming at them to start calling the fucking action. Everyone can say JBL is awesome all they want, but the guy has been nothing short of fucking atrocious since he has been back. Lawler has been horrendous for years now and Cole is annoying as hell. If the crowd is a bad crowd (which is 95% of the time) i usually watch raw on mute with some music playing, until a promo happens.
Vince is the problem with this, the announcers are trying to please that senile bastard and that turd Kevin Dunn. If they wanted someone to call the action JR would still be there. It doesn't matter who is at the announce table when they have to cater to the tastes of two sixty year old men.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
Yeah, Cole in 2011 was much, much worse to the point you wanted to put the commentary on mute. Nowadays they are terrible with their inability to call any actual moves and instead making lame jokes about each other or talking about twitter and the WWE App. Lawler is so bad that he's funny actually. JBL is like a damn catchphrase machine that just repeats the same quotes every week whether it's responding the call and response of an entrance (Usos, R-Truth) or his usual "Flying goat", "Mexico's greatest export", "Mrs. Fandango" or "You build a sports entertainer, it looks exactly like Randy Orton" sayings.

The worst of the worst is their "serious" voice, though. When something "terrible" happens and they speak in this low tone, that's just awful.

The coach says hi.

Coach was fucking entertaining, though. Even with his supposed bad announcing, he would actually take the heel's side.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I don't think so.

People say other announcers were boring, but at least there was something new every week because they actually called matches and stories.

Now it's just the constant "The champ is here" "Mexico's greatest import" " They didn't learn that from daddy" "Shades of their daddy" etc etc etc.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
"GOD ALMAGHTY THIS ANNOUNCIN' IS GETTIN' UGLY! COLE, YOU SON OF A BITCH! YES! YES! YES! JBL! JBL! JBL! SEND HIM TO HELL!"

·
Since Day One
9,907 Posts
I've said it once and I'll say it again.

JBL is the only commentator in history that's made me want to mute the sound. "IT'S MRS. FANDANGO!". "Mexico's greatest export." "We got us a flying....!" "They'll be carrying them off like cornwood!". Not to mention his stupid interactions during The Uso's and R-Truth's entrances.

Lawler's been terrible for years now so I've been used to his mediocrity. Cole, surprisingly, isn't too bad despite his annoying WWE App plugs(Seriously, who the hell over 4 years of age doesn't know how to download a fucking app?).

But JBL.....good God does he irritate me.

I actually felt like Cole and Lawler's commentary, from 2010-2011, is underrated. At least there was a heel and face dynamic and Cole's mancrush for Miz and his animosity for Bryan was pretty damn entertaining. Over the top and irritating sometimes but it wasn't all that bad. Now, there's no conflict. Just three old guys trying to make corny jokes. It doesn't even sound like they're commentators. Each and every week, they sound like new fans trying to be hip with friends who've been watching wresting for years. It's awkward, annoying, and absolutely asinine.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I said this when watching RAW. FIRE COLE ASAP!

I mean people on here say JBL is so annoying, but it is because he is stuck with the goof known as Michael Cole. Imagine it was JR out there with JBL and King, the commentary would be golden.

JBL makes fun of Cole, Cole comes back with LAME jokes and King & Cole fake laugh through them all the time. With JR, he would put JBL in place by making a simple sarcastic comment and it would be so much bearable to listen to.

·
I AM SO KAFKAESQUE
1,782 Posts
Michael Cole's heel commentary will always be better than his face commentary (and better than anything Jerry "The Pig" Lawler has ever done). People just get way too melodramatic and defensive about his 'feud' with Bryan Danielson. Anybody who doesn't outright praise Danielson at all times is burying him as far as the IWC is concerned -_-

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Michael Cole's heel commentary will always be better than his face commentary (and better than anything Jerry "The Pig" Lawler has ever done). People just get way too melodramatic and defensive about his 'feud' with Bryan Danielson. Anybody who doesn't outright praise Danielson at all times is burying him as far as the IWC is concerned -_-
No, just no. Heel Cole buried literally everything that happened and spent the entirety of every match trying to put himself over instead of whoever was in the ring. He unanimously praised all the heels and buried all the faces in such a way that it made the whole thing completely ridiculous and totally defeated the object of whatever the segment was trying to achieve. Heel Cole/face Lawler in 2011 and 2012 is literally the worst commentary team in wrestling history, even worse than when Todd Grisham and Matt Striker were paired up on Smackdown. If I was a wrestler during that period, heel or face I would have legit asked for Cole to be taken off commentary during my matches because he pretty much destroyed any chance of anyone getting over.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts