Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching the finish to Bragging Rights and then reading about WWE were going to put the WWE title on Wade Barrett until they changed their mind at the last minute and then watching Raw and seeing John Cena now told that he will be the special referee at Survivor Series in the match between Randy Orton and Wade Barrett and that he can leave The Nexus if Wade Barrett win's the WWE title i think it is quite safe to say that Randy Orton is not leaving Survivor Series as WWE champion whether it be Wade Barrett or as some are speculating The Miz who win the title so i ask the question has Randy Orton's latest WWE title run been a success or a failure.

Everyone who has been watching wrestling from WrestleMania 26 onwards will say that Randy Orton became white hot in between then and SummerSlam with some saying that he had now worked his way to being on par with John Cena as the main man in WWE although i believed that to be a overplaying how over he had become. We had seen Randy Orton go from being a very popular heel to the most over face on Raw outside of John Cena and everyone was loving the character he had become but for me once he won the WWE title he became boring again and his feud with Sheamus and so far with Wade Barrett have done nothing of note especially in comparison to everything else he had done this year.

No matter what people say about John Cena he has continued to stay over and keep his momentum after winning the WWE or World title whereas Randy Orton seem's to have lost the majority of his momentum already, i really believed that Randy Orton had now found his niche in the company but it is as if he was built up just to win the title and then be allowed to go back to normal afterwards. I was really into what Randy Orton was doing on Raw every week and was really enjoying his build but it seems to have stagnated already and i am looking forward to either Wade Barrett or The Miz taking the WWE title off of Randy Orton and then hopefully WWE pushing him as they were before he won the title.

This is one of the reasons why i always got annoyed with people comparing Randy Orton as a face to Stone Cold Steve Austin because Stone Cold Steve Austin never became stale as WWE champion and was the same whether he was chasing the title or as champion whereas Randy Orton before his title win was great but as champion has stagnated. I am not really sure what will happen with Randy Orton over the next year or two because he clearly can't keep his momentum and stay as hot as he was whilst chasing the title when champion and it is something that needs to be addressed because they can't have Randy Orton forever chasing the title and never winning it.

Before all of the Randy Orton blind mark's bash me i am also a big fan of Randy Orton and have been since his return in late 2008 when WWE finally realised how to use him properly but he seems really held back by being a face in my opinion especially since being WWE champion as he had probably been told he can't act in the same way he did before winning it which limits his character HUGELY. If Randy Orton is to stay as a face then he needs to be allowed to be the same character that he has been all year prior to winning the WWE title otherwise his title reigns will continue to just stagger along without ever being memorable to anyone who isn't a blind mark for him and that would be a shame because the character that we have seen this year has been immense up until the title win.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
A complete failure. He's killed ratings, can't sell merchandise and fans are finally realizing how much he sucks. That's why he barely drew a reaction last night. If they don't end his reign soon he's gonna start to get the treatment Cena got back in 2006. Except it will be deserved this time.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I don't know about overall, but on Sunday's PPV the crowd was almost completely dead 'til the end of the match. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts
I gotta echo the previous statements. And if it were anybody else, WWE would never stand for it. I still don't know how this guy has got Vince by the balls. He's got to have information on Vince that he could send to the feds. There's no other explanation for how such a colossal fuck up could be coddled this much.

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
A complete failure. He's killed ratings, can't sell merchandise and fans are finally realizing how much he sucks. That's why he barely drew a reaction last night. If they don't end his reign soon he's gonna start to get the treatment Cena got back in 2006. Except it will be deserved this time.
Fuck Orton. And fuck the dumbasses that cheer him. I'm done with WWE after that bullshit.
I thought you were done watching WWE?

·
My man
6,506 Posts
He's been nothing but a place holder tbh, he got the title off the fact idiots in the crowd started cheering him because he hadn't done anything bad in a while. As soon as he punted Jericho and starting acting more heel like the cheers died down and his match vs Wade just proved no one cares for him really. It was his style that caused the match to fail and the only draw was Wade and Cena not Orton.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I don't know if it's been a success or failure
What happened though? I thought everybody was onboard with Orton and now that fast it seems like everybody not some but everybody hates him
Man the wrestling biz is rough, I guess that's why you just gotta do your thing and not worry about it

·
My man
6,506 Posts
I don't know if it's been a success or failure
What happened though? I thought everybody was onboard with Orton and now that fast it seems like everybody not some but everybody hates him
Man the wrestling biz is rough, I guess that's why you just gotta do your thing and not worry about it
I've never been a fan of him, I still don't understand how anyone can see him as face, does a face really punt someone in the head, really? REALLY? He's boring to listen to and boring to watch and he's only got the title so he can give Wade a rub when he finally gets it.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I think the main issue has been that Randy is not a main player in the WWE Championship storyline. The story is focused on Cena and Barrett, and I think that's hurting Randy's title reign. Hopefully he's going to be more involved in the build up to Survivor Series, as otherwise what we've got is our WWE Champion being treated as an afterthought.

In fact, more I think about it, I can't believe WWE finally pulled the trigger on a face Orton title reign only to then push him to the background.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've never been a fan of him, I still don't understand how anyone can see him as face, does a face really punt someone in the head, really? REALLY? He's boring to listen to and boring to watch and he's only got the title so he can give Wade a rub when he finally gets it.
So you don't generally like antiheros
I agree with his boring talk, but thats been apart of his character for a long time

·
The Man
15,344 Posts
It has been a failure so far, but it is not exactly Orton's fault. He hasn't exactly gotten time to cut any promos or make any connections with the audience, and he hasn't been given the chance to have any gripping feuds. The main problem is that the focus of RAW is on the Nexus and Cena, with Orton and the WWE Championship have become a throw-away afterthought.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
I think the main issue has been that Randy is not a main player in the WWE Championship storyline. The story is focused on Cena and Barrett, and I think that's hurting Randy's title reign. Hopefully he's going to be more involved in the build up to Survivor Series, as otherwise what we've got is our WWE Champion being treated as an afterthought.

In fact, more I think about it, I can't believe WWE finally pulled the trigger on a face Orton title reign only to then push him to the background.
He's not in a storyline because he can't talk or play a character. The only thing they can book him to do is hit a thousand RKOs every night. Once the fans get bored of it he's screwed.

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts
The only reason he even has the title at the moment is because a face has to be holding it right now, because Barrett, the top heel is chasing it, and Cena can't be holding it for obvious reasons. It might be Triple H, which would be a thousand times better, but he's out, so that leaves the failed Austin wannabe with no charisma. He's not the focus of this storyline because God forbid if he was, ratings would be even worse. They need Cena and Barrett carrying this on their backs.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I gotta echo the previous statements. And if it were anybody else, WWE would never stand for it. I still don't know how this guy has got Vince by the balls. He's got to have information on Vince that he could send to the feds. There's no other explanation for how such a colossal fuck up could be coddled this much.
Surprise,surprise.Do the two of you just sit at home refreshing the site every few seconds waiting for someone to mention Orton? If I didnt know any better, I'd believe the two of you to be closet RKO marks.It seems like the only thing either of you ever talk about.

He kills ratings? Like the ratings havent been genreally low for a while now right?No, its gotta be Orton.Can the 2 of you plz just step off the guys nuts for a while?

·
Resident Old Man
3,677 Posts
I don't like that they are not building any storylines around Orton. Everything deals with Nexus and Cena... Orton is just the one holding the belt and they are chasing him. He is like the silent wall they are trying to get over to reach their goal.

Makes for a good Nexus/Cena storyline, but completely craps on Orton.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Monday Night Football kills ratings not Randy Orton. Last I hear from a lot of house show reports, what I usually hear on TV is that Orton get's loud pops as well.

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts
Orton has to be talked about because he's such a problem. If he weren't getting shoved down people's throats, nobody would talk about him. There's people I hate a lot more than Orton, but they're not worth talking about. That's the position he needs to be in.

Ratings aren't like they used to be, but they're at their lowest when he's the champion. Every time he gets the belt, ratings drop and his marks blame it on football, even though it happens...every...time.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Well. What else is good about raw?

Nothing really week in and week out its the same thing. Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton beating down someone or RKO'ing somebody. Cena/Nexus for the past while nothing has changed. Fans are probably getting bored with the product as well.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,786 Posts
His title reign is quite like Sheamus's title reign, in the way that despite being a champion, the focus isn't being put on him like it should be. The focus is being put on Nexus and Cena. But as for being a failure, where he still being booked pretty strong despite some things, like a champion should, and he hasn't done anything wrong.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not a fan of his to be honest and I really tried. But after last night's match with Cena, I just don't see him as a champion unless he is pushed hard. The match was slow, boring and predictable. I'm not saying it wasn't part Cena's fault, but Orton is the champion, so he needs to be able to elavate the talent.

Also, he is in the same rut that Cena ran into a few years ago, that "Super" Orton role. Tell me how he kicks out of the AA and then knocks Cena out cold with an RKO? Hate to break it down like that, but seriously?

And don't get me started on his ridiculous rolling around the ring like a snake who is having a seizure. But at least his theme song rocks, so there is a positive.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts