Wrestling Forum banner

Has Pope's character and mic work deteriorated since he's been in TNA?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
3,750 Posts
Hell no. It's all improved & Elijah has shown a lot of versatility. He's not the finished article which is a good thing.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Last week he was pretty awesome in term of brawl, promos, storyline...

and his gimmick is still one of the best in wrestling right now...

·
Premium Member
44,200 Posts
No. I think he came to life in TNA. In WWE I didn't really think much of him, but he just generated a spark upon arriving in TNA.

Recently, I feel like he's been stuck in a bad creative situation, which isn't his fault. The angles suck. That's the fault of the writers. Not the talent.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
In my opinion if they push The Pope right he will be the next big thing and can put TNA on a different level.

·
"Ingrato De Chicago"
1,005 Posts
No way. The guy is amazing on the mic. He is pretty solid in the ring. They just have not being booking him right.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
In my opinion if they push The Pope right he will be the next big thing and can put TNA on a different level.
A different level like...even lower ratings? Every time Pope is out the ratings go down.
Pope sucks. Nobody likes him but IWC marks. His gimmick is extremely annoying, and phony.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Last week backstage it was great, but at times I do think he loses a bit of the spark he has. Sometimes he'll show it and other times his promos all run into one. When it's good it's usually really enjoyable, but then you get times when it's quite bland.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It didn't get worse but it's getting a little stale. He's got to mix it up plus half the time he just sounds like an idiot. Sure it's a gimmick but in this world no one really talks like that especially a young hip man like himself.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
A different level like...even lower ratings? Every time Pope is out the ratings go down.
Pope sucks. Nobody likes him but IWC marks. His gimmick is extremely annoying, and phony.
No one likes him besides IWC marks? I hear just about every damn person in the Impact Zone cheering for him every week. His promo's are gold and he's great in the ring.

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
I don't think he has deteriorated since he came to TNA, but I think now he's lost his touch. The whole fued with abyss right now has been mad corny. Come one guys, stuff the guy in the casket and bash it with janice or bump it into the stage kinda shows how crappy the fued is. I wish sting and kev were still around cuz that trio didn't really hit the pavement and everything they did before BFG has been like "WTF is going on?". I was pretty intersted in seeing them going to take back TNA from hogan/bischoff or whatever they were planning on doing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've never cared for the character to start with, but I don't think the current booking storyline is doing him any favors, either. I'd have much rather he had a different character after returning from the injury, though.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Hell no, he is one of the best things in wrestling today. He needs better storylines but that will come with time. I really liked him with Nash & Sting, it was good for him.

I dunno, he seems lost but it isnt because of his skill. The guy could be one of the main reasons TNA goes to the next level if they catch fire with him. He has the look, the mic skills, and atleast average ring skills. He is one of the types that needs to use the "WWE style" where you have 5 signature moves that you incorporate into a match along with a signature spot and an upgraded finisher.

3 years from now The Pope & Ken Anderson are going to be the unquestioned top guys in TNA.

·
I recycle.
1,281 Posts
Reminds me of old school Jeff Jarrett and not in a good way, long pauses and hangs on to words, seems to try too hard. The booking hasn't helped either because he doesn't come across as big time yet.

·
Registered
306 Posts
What happened was he came in as a charismatic heel/tweaked character. The second he starts to get heat they turn him pace. He then has a decent feud with heel Mr. Anderson who kayfabe injured him (as Burke was injured IRL). In the time Pope was out, Anderson builds up decent heat only to be turned face quickly too. Pope comes back with nothing to do. We're all supposed to like the guy who injured him now, and we probably like him more so when face Pope refuses to trust Anderson, it takes away from his heat. Then, they have the pair of them face off for the number one contendership. Pope aligns himself with Sting and Nash who at the time were heels or were they tweeners?? Is pope a heel? He moans about being overlooked a lot. Then he's a face who 'knew it all along' but for some reason didnt tell his congregation..?

When a guy gets his character ripped apart like that, it's no wonder he seems to have lost his edge.

I wanted that to be a succint reason, but it appears that TNA has blown everything with him. And remember that before his injury he wasn't a main evener. It was a shock when he won the 8 card stud.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did not know who the pope was before coming to TNA.
I like his promo's but sometimes he is a bit over the top.
He is quite humourous in some of the things he comes out with.
He is decent in the ring though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts