Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
No Honky Tonk Man held it for 454 days, Dolph Ziggler has held it for 3 months, you won't see someone hold a title for that long anymore these days.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
No like the other guy said nobody in this day & age will have a reign that long.

And the people who say they'd want to see it would probably complain that he's held the belt too long after 5 months.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Anyone has a chance, but it's not happening. WWF is too flash in the plan these days.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
If someone had a title for 454 days I would probably hate that wrestler no matter who they were.

·
Banned
417 Posts
I hope so. I didn't used to like Dolph much, but I think he's really improved. I'd love to see at least one belt NOT be hot-shotted every 6 months or less like they do nowadays. But then again, you have "fans" like dr1 with the attention span of a gnat, so I can kind of understand why they switch titles so much now.

·
Now THAT is a shared moment...
781 Posts
Are you kidding me? Nobody can even hope to touch the Honky Tonk Man's record.

Why you ask?

Because The Honky Tonk man is the greatest Intercontinental Champion of all time.

Here's just one of the reasons why:

I got long sideburns
And my hair slicked back
I'm gonna do your town in my pink cadillac
I'm just a Honky Tonk Man

·
Registered
73 Posts
I love Ziggler and it would be awesome to see him hold the IC title for awhile, but I can't really see him holding it for well over a year. It would get Ziggler more heat as I'd imagine people would get tired of seeing him as champ, however I'm not quite sure that is the best way to garner heat. Honestly I think his title reign is on the verge of ending. Something tells me MVP might be on the verge of winning the title or even someone like Del Rio or Rhodes. Though I'd really like to see him keep it longer.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
454 day long title reign....... WTF no I don't think anyone will ever beat that record... wtf were they thinking back then to leave a title on one guy for THAT long :eek:

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
454 day long title reign....... WTF no I don't think anyone will ever beat that record... wtf were they thinking back then to leave a title on one guy for THAT long :eek:
Um, it was a different age. He held it for a long time because he was getting really over as a heel and they didnt really have anyone planned to beat him for it until Warrior showed up.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He was meant to drop it to randy savage and ted dibiase was meant to win the heavyweight belt but HTM refused to drop it not sure why

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
He was meant to drop it to randy savage and ted dibiase was meant to win the heavyweight belt but HTM refused to drop it not sure why
Because he's a douche. Only reason he ever won the title was because he smashed the guitar into Jake The Snake's head and gave him a concussion. Only reason he held onto it for longer than a month is because Butch Reed missed an event. And the only reason he got that mega long title reign was because he didnt feel like dropping it to Savage. Fortunately for Savage, this meant he got the World Title so it wasnt a bad tradeoff.

·
Registered
733 Posts
No way. Just a person has the right to compare himself with Honky Tonk, and count the days with the Honk-a-meter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcPyzfD2hLY

Although I'd be happy to see him as "Mericano Campione", too

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
It'd be nice if somebody broke the record, but I doubt anybody will. If The Rock, Randy Orton, and Shelton Benjamin couldn't do it, I have little hope for Ziggler.

- Vic

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Absolutely not. With a roster split, there aren't enough challengers to keep a champion interesting for that long. I'd give Ziggler another month or so before he drops the strap because he's already running low on realistic opponents.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Break out the Honk O-Meter! Dolph Ziggler will break The Honky Donky Mans record!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'd love to see it for two reasons: 1) we could finally stop talking about the Honky Tonk Man - a legendary asshole and absolutely terrible in-ring worker, and 2) it might restore some prestige to the IC Title. The ECW TV Title meant very little until some guys had really long title reigns with it... then it became one of the hottest belts in the 90s.

Unfortunately, as so many others have said, it's a different era, and that type of reign seems to be a thing of the past.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts