Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, no, which is a damn shame because I really liked Del Rio, but he seems just there, his feud with sheamus is okay, I want to stress that, but despite that, it's his biggest problem, del rio and sheamus should actually be a big feud, something we want to see again and again, but it's just all so lazily done, the thing that bothers me is that we haven't even arrived at the actual match yet, so yeah I'm jumping the gun but where was all the aggression del rio promised, he acts the same...

What do you guys think of him at the moment, I'm just disappointed, I'm disappointed that big show and cena have more buzz then two guys who look to be the future of the company and to carry one brand, I just think this rivalry should be bigger then it is...

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
I admit that I have not kept up with their feud, but from what I have seen Del Rio is the same guy as always. His character initially looked to have some thought put into it, but I feel wwe are not using it to its full potential. Del Rio is supposedly rich, but I would not have known if it wasn't for the cars and his butler. As a matter of fact i think he started with his destiny promos again, but not too sure. I think Del Rio has been aggressive, but whats missing is more intensity IMO. He needs to take his character to the next level.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
There's no way they are going to invest much time on this filler feud, they want Sheamus to beat all the heels in order to make him the new Cena.

The only way del Rio can beat a superman is with a somewhat complex storyline about him using money, contacts,blackmailing, etc. that would take too much time than creative is using on Cena vs Big Show, even Punk vs Bryan which is for a more important title isn't getting what it deserves :S

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Del Rio would need to be given a storyline in which he actually utilized his wealth, as has been stated by Chicago Warrior and Brodus Clay, to make any kayfabe impact. As is, he's one of the most ridiculously untapped characters in WWE today and far less interesting than he either could or should be.

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
If the rumors are true Del Rio certainly made a impact on his skull. *Thud*

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Del Rio would need to be given a storyline in which he actually utilized his wealth, as has been stated by Chicago Warrior and Brodus Clay, to make any kayfabe impact. As is, he's one of the most ridiculously untapped characters in WWE today and far less interesting than he either could or should be.
This is it. Del Rio could potentially be awesome, and he is so close. I wish they'd just come out and admit that he is a Mexican drug lord. Then things would get interesting.

But if they actually utilised his wealth in the storyline (even without him being a drug lord) with Sheamus it could actually make them both interesting and give their characters depth.

Have Del Rio really start throwing his money around to get him places. He pays off a lot of people to get his title shots and maybe have him win the belt from Sheamus with the aid of paying a bunch of wrestlers or bringing in his own cartel to help him. Del Rio wants the belt because it will make him even wealthier than he already is.

So from here we can start to develop Shemus' character a little bit. Actually make his Irish background relevant and establish him as a brawler from the streets who grew up in a rough, downtrodden and violent Irish setting (a realistic scenario) who has fought for everything he has got. He has made it to the WWE because fighting is all he knows, and he is using his ability to fight to make money for himself and his family to make up for hard years they lived through.

That's why Sheamus wants the World Title, because being the champion means making more money. But Del Rio wants the belt to make himself even richer, because there is no such thing as rich enough. So Sheamus has to fight against all the odds that are put in front of him, because all he has is the ability to fight but Del Rio can pay pretty much anyone to do anything to make sure he keeps his belt and makes himself even wealthier.

So you have the underdog face character in Sheamus that WWE loves, we have the villainous heel that WWE loves. But you actually have a purpose and backstory to both their characters and a reason they are conflicting, rather than simply Del Rio going "I want your belt because its my destiny" and then Sheamus going "I'll take ya on fella!".

There is also a bit of cultural reflection happening there as well, because its playing on the whole economic situation that is happening around the world at the moment. There are a tiny amount of rich guys who have nearly all the money in the world and most of the people in the world struggle to share the small amount that is left. The rich guys will still do anything they can to retain and grow their wealth, even at the expense of the people who really need even a small amount of money to survive. WWE's audience can relate to this, because their market is typically blue-collar working class demographic. They will want to see Sheamus win because they see themselves as Sheamus, and Del Rio as the rich guy trying to expand his wealth at their loss.

So I don't know, I'm rambling a bit but I think this scenario would at least give their characters purpose and interest, which is far more than they have now. Its not perfect or groundbreaking, but its still something.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Yes, and more. He is the bonafide heel main eventer SD needed and he plays his role expertly, haters can just hate.

I am very much so enjoying his feud with the fella too, I hope his concussion isn't a bad one and he is able to compete, it would rob us of a great match if he can't.

:delrio

·
Banned
399 Posts
No matter what Del Rio does, he'll never get over. Know why?
It's quite funny, really. It's commonly known as the Lex Luger Effect.
A talent comes in, they're handed a monster push, given every conceivable chance, oodles of promo time, flashy entrances, everything. And yet they are never accepted by the audience.
Why is that? Because the audience knows they haven't paid their dues, because the audience knows it's bullshit for a nonentity like Del Rio to win the Royal Rumble or beat Punk for the championship. So, like Luger, he gets no reaction, no one cares, because what is he apart from a guy who is being shoved down our throats?

He's not respected, and because he's not respected he'll never get over at the current rate.
No one cares about his storylines, no one cares about his feuds, no one will ever care. They pushed him too hard and too fast, he's in the 'failed project' category. And once you're in that category, you join such illustrious grapplers as the Gobbledygooker and Tekno Team 2000.

Lost cause.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
No matter what Del Rio does, he'll never get over. Know why?
It's quite funny, really. It's commonly known as the Lex Luger Effect.
A talent comes in, they're handed a monster push, given every conceivable chance, oodles of promo time, flashy entrances, everything. And yet they are never accepted by the audience.
Why is that? Because the audience knows they haven't paid their dues, because the audience knows it's bullshit for a nonentity like Del Rio to win the Royal Rumble or beat Punk for the championship. So, like Luger, he gets no reaction, no one cares, because what is he apart from a guy who is being shoved down our throats?

He's not respected, and because he's not respected he'll never get over at the current rate.
No one cares about his storylines, no one cares about his feuds, no one will ever care. They pushed him too hard and too fast, he's in the 'failed project' category. And once you're in that category, you join such illustrious grapplers as the Gobbledygooker and Tekno Team 2000.

Lost cause.
well done

1 - 11 of 11 Posts