Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rereading Jericho's book just now, and in the part about WCW, it seems like he got heat backstage and by management for being over as much as he was. Just curious, anything like that happen again?

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,025 Posts
I think it only happens when wrestlers manage to outdo the real stars on the show. In Jericho's case, he had to deal with the likes of Hogan, Goldberg, the NWO and even Sting were the top dogs in WCW the ones that the company placed the most prestige. So when Jericho manage to outdo the likes of even them, which he did. WCW management might have been a little annoyed that this mid-carder wrestler was upstaging the likes of Goldberg.

I'm not sure if this is actually true, it's just a theory of mine.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Christian in 2005. He was a heel but when he started getting cheered and popped for his push was basically halted. The guy was/is a great worker but the WWE gave up on him which is why he left, among other things.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Christian in 2005. He was a heel but when he started getting cheered and popped for his push was basically halted. The guy was/is a great worker but the WWE gave up on him which is why he left, among other things.
Blatant speculating. Christian was fairly over as a heel, although the period people keep referring to was when RAW was in England and Canada mainly where they love Christian. Christian got drafted to Smackdown! and they made a big deal out of it BUT he refused to sign a new contract. Would you push a midcarder to main event status when his contract is expiring? It would be a terrible business move. It has never been proven he got "heat" for being over.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
WWE was stupid for not capitalizing on Christians momentum in 2005. This was easily Christian's hottest period. The fans were begging for Christian to become WWE Champion. that reminder me of Booker t in wcw...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
WWE usually de-push the people who get too over incase they start out-popping 'their' boys.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Blatant speculating. Christian was fairly over as a heel, although the period people keep referring to was when RAW was in England and Canada mainly where they love Christian. Christian got drafted to Smackdown! and they made a big deal out of it BUT he refused to sign a new contract. Would you push a midcarder to main event status when his contract is expiring? It would be a terrible business move. It has never been proven he got "heat" for being over.
It's the explanation I've always heard and it made the most sense. He was jobbing for a long time while the fans were still cheering for him. But this was that weird period where guys like JBL were pushed over actually entertaining, talented guys. Christian also said he didn't like the tasteless stories the WWE was pushing at the time.

And I didn't understand at all what you were talking about with England and Canada. Of course Canadians are over in Canada. Did you know Bret Hart gets cheered in Canada? Shocking.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
Did he not get drafted to smackdown after Vengeance 05 which was about 4 months before he left i can't remember them making that big a deal of it he wasn't even on the summerslam card after being in a wwe championship match the month before and then feuded with benoit over the u.s belt the rumour was he left due to being unhappy with his push which faltered after he was drafted.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
He didnt sign a new contract because he was pissed that the wwe didnt follow through with the Cena feud like they had hyped up. Instead Jericho powerplayed his way into one last main event feud by saying "im on my way out, ill put Cena over, just put me in the main event". I thought it was pretty shitty on Jerichos part imo.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
He didnt sign a new contract because he was pissed that the wwe didnt follow through with the Cena feud like they had hyped up. Instead Jericho powerplayed his way into one last main event feud by saying "im on my way out, ill put Cena over, just put me in the main event". I thought it was pretty shitty on Jerichos part imo.
Do you actually know this or just speculating?

·
Banned
647 Posts
I think it could have been one of the reason Kofi Kingston was de-pushed recently.
How has Kofi been de-pushed? By losing a match to Drew Macintyre? A guy he's beaten a couple times. Kayfabe wise Drew is gonna win every now and then. Kofi will be a WHC. If WWE doesnt make him champ there is something wrong. He always puts on the best matches on Smackdown.

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
How has Kofi been de-pushed? By losing a match to Drew Macintyre? A guy he's beaten a couple times. Kayfabe wise Drew is gonna win every now and then. Kofi will be a WHC. If WWE doesnt make him champ there is something wrong. He always puts on the best matches on Smackdown.
I meant after his feud with Randy Orton.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Did he not get drafted to smackdown after Vengeance 05 which was about 4 months before he left i can't remember them making that big a deal of it he wasn't even on the summerslam card after being in a wwe championship match the month before and then feuded with benoit over the u.s belt the rumour was he left due to being unhappy with his push which faltered after he was drafted.
I remember Christian asking to be drafted to Smackdown! on RAW for several weeks, being given mic time every week. Eventually I think he was the last person to be drafted to Smackdown!, so that's a pretty big deal.

Do you actually know this or just speculating?
It's pure speculation on his part. People keep saying Christian was pissed about not being pushed, but I want proof. No doubt Christian wasn't very happy that he never got a really big push like his brother, but I remember reading reports about Christian just wanting a lighter schedule and also to help TNA kick off.

Your bit about Jericho is utterly ridiculous. You're just making shit up on the spot. He powerplayed? Heh. First of all, you don't know why he was put in the main event in the end, maybe Vince wanted to thank him for all the years of service, maybe they needed a credible heel to feed to Cena and knowing Jericho was leaving he was the perfect candidate. Secondly, how is putting over the future of the company in any shape or form bad? It's called being professional and giving back. He was leaving wrestling, for all he knew possibly forever, so why not use your credibility, your overness, to put over the future?

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
Why would Jericho try and bury Christian, they are really good friends and are next door neighbours (I think). It was Vince's decision to put Y2J in the Vengence match, because Vince felt Christian wasn't ready to main event 1 on 1.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts