Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's rote, it's silly, it can't go anywhere good for either guy at this stage (Road to Wrestlemania is just starting to become visible on the horizon and as singles guys they'll both be lost on Raw within a few weeks) and it's somehow both underdeveloped and overexposed. I feel like they've been teasing a breakup for longer than Bret and Owen in '93/'94, and yet they haven't even begun to detail any character information as to what is causing this disintegration between them as a team. The worst part is that they have an outlet for them with Natalya but they've yet to run a compelling vignette featuring the three of them, or establish just where she stands beyond the predictable cry of, "We're a team!"

The Raw creative team is acting like they have The Hardy Boys circa 2000 on their hands and the team is so popular with the fans that they don't have to bother with sketching a coherent picture as to why there are problems between the two guys. That's the biggest problem here. The timing for this split couldn't have been worse because every time Hart Dynasty comes out lately, the crowd reaction is anemic at best. Tyson screams in the middle of the ring and the fans just stare at him. By contrast, Cryme Tyme, who weren't exactly one of the best tag teams to emerge in the annals of wrestling, were sufficiently over so that when Shad suddenly broke off from JTG following Wrestlemania XXVI, the fans were conspicuously upset by it. Granted, that didn't turn out so well, but that's the point: if a team that was more over with the fans and whose breakup had more potential to yield general fan engagement couldn't translate into a successful break-up storyline for each member, then I don't see how this can for Hart Dynasty at this juncture.

The only way it can work is if they somehow survive this turmoil and become refocused as a tag team, and rebuild from there. In other words, tease a split, have them make amends, and then after they build some momentum for the next five months or so, try splitting them up then. None of this even goes into the fact that WWE's tag division is woefully thin and losing Hart Dynasty is like losing the strawberry flavor with only vanilla and chocolate left (Gabriel/Slater, Usos, Dudebusters?).

And that is another problem that dilutes this storyline: WWE tag teams are splitting up all the time. We've already had no less than half a dozen tag team splits of one kind or another in the last nine months. In a way, Hart Dynasty don't have much of a chance to foster fan interest following so many similar story arcs in such a fairly compressed period of time.

What do you think? Is this an overreaction? Some people are picking at both guys' performance in this angle but the material itself is pretty pitiful thus far.

That said, Tyson Kidd has great potential as a wrestler. And since the angle seems to be hinting at him turning heel, he could have a solid run with guys like Morrison (in a return feature of their summer '09 bouts on Smackdown, which were a lot of fun) and Daniel Bryan.

After the latest Raw, though, I couldn't help but think, if you're going to do it, get on with the split already, I'm sick of seeing the same plot point recycled over and over.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Excellent post.

You're not exaggerating, this is really an awful job by the WWE. They've basically condemmed both Kidd and DH to lower mid-card hell with this storyline, or lack thereof. They're not even trying, it's just like "OK, they're breaking up........." .

....and they expect us to fill in the blanks and holes, for both their non-existent personalities as well as their reasons for breaking up.

Piss-poor job by the WWE.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Only way to save this angle is as you said tease the split but keep them together. Have a blow off match between the two on Raw in a couple of weeks (because it would get no heat at all on PPPV and would look bad) where they can go out and wrestle dungeon style during the match keep it amicable (Bret vs Bulldog type). Then after the match shake hands they then return next week back as the hart dynasty and completely refocused on winning the tag titles.

·
Asuka
96,568 Posts
The Harts are horrible, so don't watch them. Simple. They're not an integral part of the show so you won't miss anything.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
The whole Hart Dynasty is agonizing. Kidd should become singles wrestler, and DH Smith and that chick should just GTFO, together with Bret Hart.

·
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the good responses thus far, everyone, and Gunner14, I really like your idea a lot. That's what they should do with this.

I think the icing on the cake is that every time they appear on Raw, Michael Cole quickly reminds everyone of how uncharismatic and uninteresting they are. "Hey, King, remember when they were out here on commentary that one time? Remember how horrible and boring they both were?! Jeez they're such a great cure for insomnia! Pathetic losers!"

Real great way to get over an angle concerning these two with the audience. Although, the whole thing's so bad, I almost can't help but enjoy it in some perversely sadistic way. :rolleyes:

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I agree with those who say that the best thing to do would be to tease the split but keep them together in the end. As DesolationRow said...where can they go as singles stars right now? I don't see them doing much with either of them after they split, so there is esentially no point to this breakuup angle, it's just another case (Like Cryme Tyme, Gatecrashers, The Dashing Ones) or splitting teams unecessarily. They fit well in the tag division as there aren't hardly any tag teams. Being central to that division is better than doing nothing as singles guys.

So imo, hopefully they tease this split, Natalya steps in and tells them to get their act together, they become stronger than ever, they feud with Nexus (Gabriel/Slater) which in theory should get them more over with the crowd, and they would have a storyline in being a part of trying to take down Nexus and they might win the titles again. That would be far better than splittling them, having nobody care about it and...nothing.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Nobody cares about the Hart Dynasty. They are nothing more than a pair of nobodies that milked Bret Hart's fame for all that it was worth. But now the Uncle Bret is gone again, the tit has run dry. Break them up, and send to Superstars as jobbers where they belong.

·
19,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As you say, NJ88, I like the idea of Hart Dynasty rising from the ashes and taking back the Tag Team Championships from Nexus (perhaps as Nexus is dying off anyway?), since it would be a neat circular story from back in the summer when they were repeatedly victimized by Nexus.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
They have no personality, terrible on the mic, and decent in-ring skills (which mean they're BORING to watch wrestle).

So a storyline featuring them is going to be bad and the fans won't care.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I can't remember the last time i was entertained when The Harts are on my screen, their run as a whole has been lackluster imo, they probably shouldn't have formed a tag team in the first place, this "break-up storyline" has been nothing but borefest so far. They might as well just split up next week and let Tyson Kidd go solo as a heel, i don't think he was this boring when he was on ECW, granted it was a generic i'm-better-than-you arrogant persona that he had but he pulled it off quite well, so perhaps WWE should try to go back to the formula that works for Kidd in the first place. I've also been waiting Tyson Kidd/Evan Bourne feud since their days on ECW but that never really started, they only had a handful of matches which were all amazing but they never really had a real program. A three way feud between Kidd, Bryan, and Bourne for US Title would make a great television imo, it's a shame that Evan is injured right now. DH Smith can go back to FCW for all i care.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
The only Hart Dynasty related info I remember from RAW was Cole stating how boring they were on commentary :lmao

Cole was on fire last night.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I only could care for Kidd, because he's damn good in the ring. Sow fire DHS and dump Natalya in some random divas matches. But never give any of them a mic.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Tyson kid is actually very good in the ring, bland on the mic, but very good in the ring. If you need proof of that watch some of his earlier singles work and not the tag team work that he has done. I myself am bored by kidd for months now, but his match with rey a while back reminded me of the tyson i once knew. As for Smith, he has grown somehwat in the ring, but he is lacking something, well both are lacking good character development but i blame that on creative, if creative did even remotely what they are supposed to be doing with the tag teams then alot of people wouldn't complain as much they do

1 - 17 of 17 Posts