Wrestling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 615 Posts

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Re: Halloween (October 19th, 2018)

The first footage from the new Halloween movie has screened and we have our first reactions to the upcoming reboot/sequel. It's been nearly a decade since we've seen The Shape on the big screen and this movie is going to be ignoring every single sequel, which has been confirmed by the trailer for the movie that was screened at CinemaCon in Las Vegas. Based on the reactions coming out of the event, this movie could be what fans of the original have been waiting a long time to see. Here's what Eric Vespe of Rooster Teeth had to say about it, along with a description of the footage showcased.

"First footage of Halloween looks great. New story is that after he was shot by Loomis Michael was recommitted and Laurie has been preparing in case he ever breaks out. Some teenagers were talking amongst each other. "Wasn't it her brother that killed all those people?' 'It wasn't her brother, that's something people made up.' So, yeah. Bye-bye sequel storylines! There was a shot of Myers, post break-out, tormenting a girl in a bathroom stall. His hand goes over the door and drops a dozen bloody teeth on the floor. They're not messing around with this one. It's great to see the mask back in action. Also Laurie is never once shown as scared in the footage we saw. She's a woman on a mission, just as much a hunter as Michael. Love that take."

It's a rather big change with this movie throwing out the concept of Laurie Strode being related to Michael Myers. It's also revealed via the footage that Jamie Lee Curtis' character has been preparing to face the masked killer for the last four decades and isn't playing the victim role. But, most importantly, it sounds like the footage is, above all else, scary. Here's what Scott Wampler of Birth.Movies.Death had to say about it.

"I cannot even begin to describe how f*****g awesome the Halloween trailer is. You guys are gonna lose your minds. It looks *terrifying*."

Recently, some news surfaced online about a recent test screening of the new Halloween movie. According to an unverified account, the ending was very unsatisfying and overall, this quasi-sequel was not that great. While the thriller in its entirety wasn't screened at CinemaCon, these first reactions paint a very different story. Here's what Steve Weintraub of Collider had to say, promising that fans shouldn't be nervous.

"If you were even remotely nervous the upcoming 'Halloween' movie wouldn't be scary and awesome it's time to relax. The first footage they just showed at #CinemaCon2018 looked like everything you want it to be."

John Carpenter, who directed the original Halloween, is on board as an executive producer and will score the movie's soundtrack. David Gordon Green, who co-wrote the screenplay with Danny McBride, is directing. Blumhouse is releasing the movie in time for the Halloween season on October 19. You can check out some more reactions to the first Halloween footage for yourself below.
Source: https://movieweb.com/amp/new-halloween-movie-2018-cinemacon-footage-description/

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

"Strode: I’ve prayed that he would escape for 40 years
Cop: Why would you do that?
Strode: So I could kill him"

Halloween movies are a my favorite slashers of all time, but I have to admit that dialogue sounds pretty cringey. That makes Laurie sound careless, not "strong".

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm reading it, and sometimes actors delivery can make dialogue like that work. Still have faith this will be good, but not off to a good start IMO.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

The Season of the Witch is magnificent. One of my favorite Horror films, period. Tom Atkins, ftw.

Michael slaughtering people in bathroom stalls again. Liking the sound of that.

Reactions: 2 Ton 21

·
Sleeps nude in an oxygen tent.
4,744 Posts

Michael Myers riding into battle on a horse confirmed?

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

Lukewarm. The tampering can be as troublesome on paper, as it could be beneficial.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts

Lukewarm. The tampering can be as troublesome on paper, as it could be beneficial.
This is one of those times where they had to retool the ending. I want to say it couldn’t get worse than what they had going into the test screening, but you never know.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

If we get to see both, then I'll be ok w/this decision. :evil

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts

It just irritates me that JLC has come back for a paycheck (hello to you also John), and it’s going to take years to get Michael back on screen after this. If by some miracle this movie rocks my fucking world, then I’ll be ok with it, but I’m certainly not holding my breath.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

Interested enough. Hope it decides not to give too much away, but I won't be using the trailer as a way to gauge much. This is going to be an easy 100% watch no matter the content, so hoping for the best, per usual.

·
Ramble On
11,104 Posts

I need this out right now. God I hope this is good. We need a good modern slasher film.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Re: Halloween (October 19, 2018)

:done

From USA Today:

Classic horror villain Michael Myers returns in a new Halloween. Unfortunately for him, so does Laurie Strode.

Jamie Lee Curtis reprises her “final girl” role for the 40th anniversary of John Carpenter’s original 1978 fright fest. But in director David Gordon Green’s follow-up (in theaters Oct. 19), the tables have turned a bit: Laurie has been preparing for a rematch with the iconic knife-wielding masked psycho, and when he stalks her again in suburban Haddonfield, she’s as ready for him as he is for her.

In the first film — the actress' Hollywood debut — “she was running for her life,” says Curtis, 59. “In this case, she is well-matched, she is prepared, she is focused. She will be the one people are standing behind when that moment comes, because she’s the one ready.”

Produced by horror guru Jason Blum, the new Halloween brings back Laurie and Michael but also leans into pop culture’s current fascination with true crime (see also: Making a Murderer, Serial). A British documentary crew comes to the States to visit Michael in prison for a retrospective of the maniac’s night of terror — “Someone has to bring a modern audience into a 40-year old movie,” Curtis says — but their project becomes way more interesting when Myers escapes custody, retrieves his signature mask and seeks revenge on Laurie, with others naturally being part of his impressive career body count along the way.

In the decades following the fateful Halloween night that forever altered the former babysitter’s life, Laurie has armed and prepped herself for Michael’s inevitable return — to the detriment of her family, including daughter Karen (Judy Greer) and granddaughter Allyson (Andi Matichak).

“We’re being very honest and truthful about that, how it would affect the upbringing of her daughter, who has a lot of conflicts because of her mother’s obsession with this incident, and her granddaughter, who’s trying to connect with Laurie", Green says.

Her community is also a little wary of Laurie. “It becomes a little bit ‘The British are coming!’ and everybody just gets tired of it,” Curtis says. “It’s the girl who cried Michael, and they’re all like, ‘Oh, my God, Laurie, shut the (expletive) up.’ And that’s why I like where we find her.”

As for Michael (Nick Castle, the original Michael, and James Jude Courtney split the role), nothing has changed too radically, though his new mask is a bit more weathered and reflective of the antagonist's “authentic evolution” over four decades, Green says. “He’s the essence of evil, so we don’t want to get too much into the specifics of what makes him tick. So much of what makes the boogeyman horrifying to me is the mystery and almost cat-like mannerisms and curiosity of this character.”

The Halloween franchise spawned seven sequels — plus a two-movie reboot from Rob Zombie — but Green has essentially thrown out all those in favor of establishing a fresh mythology built on the original 1978 movie. (Carpenter also returns as executive producer and composer.) When Green studied the franchise as a whole, he says, “I started finding limitations instead of opportunity, and thinking, ‘If there was a little bit of a clean slate to take it in a direction I selfishly as a huge Halloween fan wanted, where would I go?’ ”

That streamlining was one of the main reasons Curtis signed on to return, and she finds the follow-up to be “simple, clean, scary and excellent.” She also remains hugely proud of her character and this horror show.

“I recognize that it will be my biggest contribution,” Curtis says. “Despite writing books for children, all of my advocacy, all of my politics, all of my own personal journey, my legacy will be Halloween.”

121 - 140 of 615 Posts