Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 615 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Re: Halloween (October 19th, 2018)

Honestly, audiences not liking it kind of makes me more hopeful than if they did. Track records.
Honestly, everyone hating the ending leads me to believe what I feared was going to happen actually did. They’re going to kill off Michael with Jamie Lee standing tall to close this series out. Coupled with the rumblings of ripping off scenes directly from the original and sequels, my expectations are about as low as they can get.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

This is a Blumhouse production. So, I won't rule this out being a pile of trash, despite my tendencies to sway outside of the consensus.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts

Honestly, audiences not liking it kind of makes me more hopeful than if they did. Track records.
Concur. Perhaps this is a special instance in which test screening audiences are sage connoisseurs of film but the long and ignominious history of test screenings argues persuasively against this remotest of possibilities. Many a filmmaker has gone back to curse the amputations, deletions, modifications and unsightly forced appendages spawned from these test screenings like so many ill-conceived bastards.

Reactions: 2 Ton 21

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

Concur. Perhaps this is a special instance in which test screening audiences are sage connoisseurs of film but the long and ignominious history of test screenings argues persuasively against this remotest of possibilities. Many a filmmaker has gone back to curse the amputations, deletions, modifications and unsightly forced appendages spawned from these test screenings like so many ill-conceived bastards.
Exactly. Doesn't help that test screenings feel like a massively moot process as it is. Almost banking on a universal perspective among the audience, as if those in that specific bunch will be the entire opinion of a film. Between the trepidation, needless scramble fixes in post, to all the overthinking that could damage the final product; awful lot of stock is put into a moderate aspect of a few viewings.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts

I wouldn’t be so concerned if it wasn’t for the low key contempt that Carpenter and Curtis seemingly hold for the character of Michael and the franchise as a whole. Curtis has said she would never return unless she was allowed to kill off Myers for good, and Carpenter hates everything about the franchise after the first film. Including his own script for the sequel. They both want to see him killed off for good, and I very much see them getting their way on this one. That’s why I was less than enthusiastic when I heard the news that they were involved in this.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, the Halloween/Michael Myers story is 1/2/4/5/6. No Donald Pleasence, no fucks given. I thought both 4 and 5 were pretty good. 6 Was kinda shit but it at least still had Loomis in it. The other sequels beyond that sucked and I didn't bother with the Zombie films. This franchise can stay dead and buried in the past.

·
Fear, Fruity Pebbles, and Possum Piss
4,585 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, the Halloween/Michael Myers story is 1/2/4/5/6. No Donald Pleasence, no fucks given. I thought both 4 and 5 were pretty good. 6 Was kinda shit but it at least still had Loomis in it. The other sequels beyond that sucked and I didn't bother with the Zombie films. This franchise can stay dead and buried in the past.
I think H20 was a good ending to the franchise. Laurie whacks his head off, it's a definitive end to the story.

Reactions: MillionDollarProns

·
Registered
10,508 Posts

"Nods to the 3rd movie too"

What, the one Myers wasn't in and was disconnected from the franchise?
I liked the third one :draper2

The scene with the Pumpkin melting on the kid's head & the snakes, flies or whatever they were coming out and the Silver Shamrock song always bothered me.

Also liked the ending with Atkins screaming for the station to turn off.

·
Premium Member
9,420 Posts

Season of the Witch had Tom Fucking Atkins as the hero and the Old Man from Robocop playing a great villain. How can you not like it?! Take Halloween off of it and it would get praise. It takes shit for not being a Michael Myers Halloween.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts

Season of the Witch is fun.

·
Banned
6,218 Posts

I liked the third one :draper2

The scene with the Pumpkin melting on the kid's head & the snakes, flies or whatever they were coming out and the Silver Shamrock song always bothered me.

Also liked the ending with Atkins screaming for the station to turn off.
I agree, the third one was vastly underrated. If it was not associated with the Halloween franchise guarantee a lot of people would of loved it more.

·
Dragon Slayer
6,627 Posts

Honestly, everyone hating the ending leads me to believe what I feared was going to happen actually did. They’re going to kill off Michael with Jamie Lee standing tall to close this series out. Coupled with the rumblings of ripping off scenes directly from the original and sequels, my expectations are about as low as they can get.

From what I've read, the criticism of the ending was it was too vague and didn't close out the series as you would hope for a final entry. So I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts

Of the 10 Halloween films released so far, Season of the Witch is a Top 5 Halloween film. Nice to see it get love here.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts

From what I've read, the criticism of the ending was it was too vague and didn't close out the series as you would hope for a final entry. So I don't think you have anything to worry about there.
I haven’t read that yet. As long as it doesn’t end with a dead “human” Michael Myers and everyone smiling and happy.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,403 Posts

Yea my main point was I was just surprised they'd use anything from the third movie considering it's not officially part of the franchise in the Myers sense. :p

It's been years since I've seen it tbh so I do need to watch it again.

·
The face that runs the List
10,771 Posts

I only saw the first movie (which has aged pretty badly) and Rob Zombie's remake.

Am I missing something ?

101 - 120 of 615 Posts