Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 200 of 615 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Re: Halloween (October 19, 2018)

I thought the remake that showed his childhood was well done but you're talking to someone who didn't care much for the original tbh. I'd generally agree that less is more when it comes to backstories in horror though.

Back to the trailer. Why would Laurie even start a family knowing that there's an ever looming supernatural threat to take care of that could easily kill them all? She's seen that guns don't kill Michael so the training seems futile. I think it would've been better if she was too afraid to start a family and that fuelled her bitterness and resolve to somehow take Michael down for good even though she ultimately knows it's pointless. How is she even going to run away at her age? The Undertaker should be able to lap her 3 times over during his entrance.

·
40,760 Posts

I don't think this movie is for me.:brady6

Aesthetically it's too bright. That could actually work in its favor somehow but...the exposition...fuck off. The premise...please go srs.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts

one of the worst things ever done in these films was giving Michael a fucking backstory. Nobody needs to see how he became a murderous psychopath. He's infinitely more terrifying if we know nothing. He just IS. That was the appeal of the very first film. We don't know why he randomly kills his sister when he's a child. He just does it. And then continues to do it when he escapes.

Hannibal Rising almost ruined the Lecter character with the shitty backstory. I hate that Thomas Harris caved in to the pressure and wrote that shit. There needs to be mystery to these characters
Mystique's overrated.

- Vic

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

"No, he's not her brother."

Oh gosh no, if we're gonna get THAT kind of a script. Blumhouse, don't make this some meta crap.

So that also had a lot of ripoffs/homages to past films, including plenty from Zombie's. Again, not sure of this decision to denounce one when another is appearing to do the same. Well, hope it is brutal. Lets not take the wimpy route here.

The checkerboard tiling for the Asylum yard was great, as was the final stinger in the trailer. The highlights from it.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts

There are definitely nods to the series in this movie. I saw a shot somewhere with trick or treaters wearing Silver Shamrock masks.

I love how Carpenter's beats i.e. the score + how/when it is used, pov tracking shots, effective jump scares from the original film are present here. They are recapturing 'the feel' of Halloween.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

Sigh....there were some things I really liked but overall I was disappointed with this trailer. Michael looks really good and there was some scenes I liked(the ending scene with him in the closet was great) but as already stated in this thread, the movie is just lit too bright. It seems to be lit in the same way a movie like Logan was, as if they are trying to give it this weird "neo-western" type of look/feel or something(there was even a low angle shot where Michael "twirls" his knife, as if it's supposed to represent his "revolver" I'm guessing). The emphasis on Laurie shooting things, and the "I'm gonna kill that mother fucker!" type dialogue from her(that line she said about praying for him to return I still feel is so cringey and makes her look reckless) I feel really plays into that. I'm not saying it can't work but it really wasn't the vibe I was expecting. You also oddly have the typical "teen slasher movie" type of scenes in the trailer which makes it feel so cheap and cliche. It's hard to explain.

As far as the obvious homages, I don't mind them doing them but I just hate when they do it in a way that feels more like cheap nostalgia rather than honest and sincere film-making. It's as if I was watching all the famous and iconic scenes from the original, just presented as the "spark notes" version(and who the hell wants to watch a spark notes version?). Terminator: Genisys suffered from this and I hope this movie doesn't suffer from it either.

Anyway Universal has my money regardless because I love Halloween, but I dunno the trailer overall just didn't do it for me.

·
40,760 Posts

Sigh....there were some things I really liked but overall I was disappointed with this trailer. Michael looks really good and there was some scenes I liked(the ending scene with him in the closet was great) but as already stated in this thread, the movie is just lit too bright. It seems to be lit in the same way a movie like Logan was, as if they are trying to give it this weird "neo-western" type of look/feel or something(there was even a low angle shot where Michael "twirls" his knife, as if it's supposed to represent his "revolver" I'm guessing). The emphasis on Laurie shooting things, and the "I'm gonna kill that mother fucker!" type dialogue from her(that line she said about praying for him to return I still feel is so cringey and makes her look reckless) I feel really plays into that. I'm not saying it can't work but it really wasn't the vibe I was expecting. You also oddly have the typical "teen slasher movie" type of scenes in the trailer which makes it feel so cheap and cliche. It's hard to explain.

As far as the obvious homages, I don't mind them doing them but I just hate when they do it in a way that feels more like cheap nostalgia rather than honest and sincere film-making. It's as if I was watching all the famous and iconic scenes from the original, just presented as the "spark notes" version(and who the hell wants to watch a spark notes version?). Terminator: Genisys suffered from this and I hope this movie doesn't suffer from it either.

Anyway Universal has my money regardless because I love Halloween, but I dunno the trailer overall just didn't do it for me.
I have to see it too, but it's not really high on my list of caring. Maybe with no expectations I'll psyche myself out and end up really liking it. Maybe it'll just be straight up good and they're just showing the most annoying parts of the movie:lol

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

It is a trailer, after all. That's entirely possible.

But I did just watch the new Suspiria trailer atm and holy shit it's 100/10. So maybe it's just that Blumhouse will suck, per usual.

·
Premium Member
19,332 Posts

I loved the trailer...but once again they gave away WAY too much in it. Why the fuck do they do that?

Why the fuck do I watch a trailer for a movie that I already know I'm gonna watch? UGH! :eek:hno

·
Registered
9,369 Posts

I have to see it too, but it's not really high on my list of caring. Maybe with no expectations I'll psyche myself out and end up really liking it. Maybe it'll just be straight up good and they're just showing the most annoying parts of the movie:lol
One thing i disliked (and I disagree that it's lit too bright) was that they showed Michael's face and had him laugh. That...No. Michael is an emotionless, mute MONSTER! Not a giggling nutcase! :(

Still like this apart from the "Badass woman" trope. BUT it's laurie, though. she'd actually do that character wise.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts

The checkerboard tiling for the Asylum yard was great, as was the final stinger in the trailer. The highlights from it.
YES

This movie serving as a direct sequel to the original is the smartest play for this entry in franchise at this juncture. Keeping the H2 sister reveal would essentially make it H20 all over again, just at a later date. This way, the dynamic changes in a compelling way.

Not only is Michael not Laurie's brother, but he's also not some Terminator who killed his way through a hospital to get to her, basically shrugged off getting his eyes shot out by a gun, and required an explosion just to be subdued. Laurie's psyche in H20 was constantly being afraid that he'd come to get her again, some supernatural monster that's tied to her bloodline.

This way, that body count of his has been significantly whittled down, he's hardly indestructible (as that busted eye of his can attest to), and therefore, Laurie doesn't have that fear, or at least not as much of it. This is less "I'm gonna move across the country and hope he never comes knocking" and more "I'm staying right the fuck here, and if that old motherfucker ever gets out, I'll be waiting for him". She will hunt the Boogeyman that haunts her.

I like this quote by Jamie Lee Curtis from an on set interview with Fandango:
I don’t want her to be a badass. She’s not Linda Hamilton. I don’t have those arms. She was strong because she was smart. It’s not muscles, it’s brains. Brainpower is the strongest message.
'HALLOWEEN' SET VISIT - https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/halloween-set-visit-753258?preview=true

·
Ramble On
11,104 Posts

I mean it looks ok I guess, but it kind of just looks like a mish mash of previous Halloween films. I'm still excited to see it and hopefully it's better and has more interesting stuff that the trailer suggests.

·
40,760 Posts

It is a trailer, after all. That's entirely possible.

But I did just watch the new Suspiria trailer atm and holy shit it's 100/10. So maybe it's just that Blumhouse will suck, per usual.
Suspiria trailer blindsided me and I'll give it a shot. So pretty much the opposite of this.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

YES

Whew. That shot alone can make me more than ok w/its use of sunlight throughout. (I'm fine w/the contrast of light to dark ranging from sequels, personally.) Wasn't walking into this anticipating the same dream-like haze that surrounds the original and some sequels.

Hoping that kill in the closet is something that isn't actually cut away from in the film. Imagine the knife going through the chest or head from that view, then we see the child's reaction after it happens. That'll be legit.

I mean it looks ok I guess, but it kind of just looks like a mish mash of previous Halloween films. I'm still excited to see it and hopefully it's better and has more interesting stuff that the trailer suggests.
Same here. I just have to follow suit and give my jabs to the studio per their track record. And fingers crossed the script doesn't try to be filled w/easter egg type comments to the rest of the franchise.

Suspiria trailer blindsided me and I'll give it a shot. So pretty much the opposite of this.
I want to gush about this some more so possible hint hint to the movie thread imo. But any potential hesitation I might have had kind of went up in smoke after those two minutes.

·
Here Comes The Money
1,972 Posts

One thing i disliked (and I disagree that it's lit too bright) was that they showed Michael's face and had him laugh. That...No. Michael is an emotionless, mute MONSTER! Not a giggling nutcase! :(
You mean that part where he's held in captivity? All they showed was Michael standing there motionless with his back turned, while the other patients were the ones going ape shit.

Reactions: Arya Dark

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
10,814 Posts

HYPE

I grew up on A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and Halloween movies, seen them all, Halloween 2 is my fucking favorite of the Halloween movies.

I get married the day after this movie is released, I already let everyone know I will be awake Oct 19th late and will be willing to sit in the theatre alone to watch this while they all go to bed to prepare for the next day's events.

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts

I liked the trailer. It assuaged some of my concerns, but I'll have to watch the movie in order to be sure, of course.

I like that The Shape is legitimately terrifying again.

181 - 200 of 615 Posts