Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I wonder what Aeris felt...When she was up on that
31,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So fucking amazing.

LOVE IT. Never get hooked on Ecclestan's season and didn't bother with watching much of Tennant's run except for a few episodes and Blink and his final two episodes. Everything about Matt Smith's season is miles ahead of what I've seen. Not sure if it changed after Eccleston, but the cinematography is leaps and bounds better than it was. It seems like its an actual quality show now. The stories so far are so much better. The weeping angels episodes were fantastic and two of the best episodes I've ever seen. I was hooked within minutes of the Eleventh Hour. Oh and Amy Pond is just....well, words cannot explain how amazing she is. Rory is probably the better boyfriend/fiance so far that I've seen.

I'll probably go back and watch Ecclestan again and Tennant (I really want to see the first River Song episode), but Smith is what I was hoping for when I first decided I wanted to watch this show. So glad I decided to just skip most of season 2-4 and just watch Smith's run. Besides, Dalek, my favorite episode of the Eccleston run was probably the 2nd one where the Earth dies, and Smith's season has reminded me of that episode and all the fun that a sci-fi show can be. The space whale? Hell yeah. Etc. etc. etc. Love this show.

Any word on when the next season starts?

·
Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Well there's the Christmas special at...Christmas. Then I expect next series to start around the Easter period. Though it's going to be split into two; half the episodes in spring, the other half in the fall/autumn.

Smith's impressed me a lot more than I thought he would. I was one of the many who couldn't quite get over Tennant's tenure. Seemed like a perfect match for combining sophistication and cheese. While I like Ecclestone and all, I never really bought him as the Doctor. And before any Who fanatic slates me, I've never seen the older stuff, so if Ecclestone's portrayal is closer to the original material so be it.

Gillan's the best female companion ever. For many a reason! :p

·
ガッツ
70 Posts
Matt did an excellent job. He had to come in after arguably one of the best Doctor Who's of all time. What I liked best about his performance was that there wasn't one instance throughout the entire season that I didn't believe he was the Doctor. I was very impressed (still like Tennant better though...). Also, Karen Gillan is dam fine. :)

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Well there's the Christmas special at...Christmas. Then I expect next series to start around the Easter period. Though it's going to be split into two; half the episodes in spring, the other half in the fall/autumn.

Smith's impressed me a lot more than I thought he would. I was one of the many who couldn't quite get over Tennant's tenure. Seemed like a perfect match for combining sophistication and cheese. While I like Ecclestone and all, I never really bought him as the Doctor. And before any Who fanatic slates me, I've never seen the older stuff, so if Ecclestone's portrayal is closer to the original material so be it.

Gillan's the best female companion ever. For many a reason! :p
I haven't seen all of the early stuff but from waht I have seen I would say Ecclestone's Doctor was very different from previous portrayls, that may be a big factor determining why I liked him in the role. He was certainly a surprising choice, I always thought Richard E Grant would've been the perfect choice if they brought the series back after it was cancelled during Sylvester McCoy's run (I choose to ignore the Paul McGann portrayal although it is considered canon)

As for Matt Smith, I'm still not sold on his Doctor. I really wanted someone older this time around with a younger actor coming in next time. I was also hoping they'd hold off a while on the continuation of the River Song character, I'd have liked them to get through this Doctor's entire run without her and bring her back for the next one. And finally, I didn't really enjoy the story arc in the last series, the payoff was very disappointing imo.

Oh, and the new Daleks look stupid, I know they've been updated over the years but they had a perfect design in the past few series and didn't need to be changed one bit.

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts
Matt Smith's better than Eccelstone and Tennant. Bear in mind though Tennant had an awful, awful lot of shit to work with.

What Tennant have you seen? You should watch ALL of Steven Moffat's tennant episodes, they're the best. Also watch the 4 'specials' which were before Tennant left I think. Actually you should probably watch most of it, while there was a lot of bad it's still good. I'm still on the old ones, on the first doctor who's fucking great.

Actually these are the essential tennant so if you've seen these you've seen his best:

All Moffat episodes (The girl in the fireplace, human nature/family of blood (2 parter), silence in the library/forest of the dead (river song eps))
Midnight's really good too.
Oh also waters of mars is really good too. Time Lord Victorious was pretty badass.

I also enjoy anything with the Ood.

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
There's a xmas special and then the new season starts around Easter 2011. Thought Smith's first season was probably the strongest of the the new lot. First episode I thought was terrible but from there on there's some incredible episodes.

·
31,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just finished the Van Gogh episode. Wonderful ending. Monster hunting was okay, but the rest was fantastic.

So what are the chances that Smith will be replaced after the next season? I hope he isn't but I heard he's only contracted for 2 seasons.

·
31,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just finished Matt Smith's first season a few nights ago. Loved it. Some episodes were decent, but mostly they were great to amazing. I'd probably rank them like this:

1. The Time of Angels
2. The Big Bang
3. The Eleventh Hour
4. Flesh and Stone
5. The Pandorica Opens
6. The Hungry Earth
7. The Lodger
8. Cold Blood
9. Vincent and the Doctor
10. The Beast Below
11. Amy's Choice
12. Vampire's of Venice
13. Victory of the Daleks

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts
I'd have Amy's choice a bit higher, dreamlord was pretty awesome. The Pandorica Opens would be my number 1, followed by Vincent and the Doctor and then Time of Angels from memory though. I admittedly did enjoy every episode, but Victory of the daleks was the worst.

·
31,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1-5 are all pretty much on the same level. Its the little things that make one better than the other. Time of Angels was just perfect. Loved every second. The Big Bang had an amazing emotional finale and the time traveling stuff had me smiling from ear to ear. The rest has their reasons.

Vincent and the Doctor would have been better if they weren't monster hunting and the parallels of it weren't so blatant and eye rolling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts