Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered last night as to why they never do them anymore, I think that it would be a pretty good stipulation to one of the womens matches at clash of champions, winner gets the title, loser gets their headshaved bald, it blows my mind how its been years since this last happened, I believe the last match where something like this was wagered was Mysterio vs Punk in a mask vs hair match

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
Bálor vs. Corbin last year not being a Hair vs. Hair Match is still a head-scratcher.

Reactions: Ace

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Probably because nobody wants to shave their head?

Corbin would be the only one in recent memory it could have worked for, considering he shaved his head on his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Dude selling point of divas is their looks, and losing hair would make them less attractive, or even unattractive to most people, why would they wanna ruin someone like that?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Probably because nobody wants to shave their head?

Corbin would be the only one in recent memory it could have worked for, considering he shaved his head on his own.

That never stopped them before. Heck, even Vince got his head shaved when there was enough $ to be made from doing it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That never stopped them before. Heck, even Vince got his head shaved when there was enough $ to be made from doing it.

Pretty sure nobody forced Vince to shave his head. Everything is on social media these days, one wrestler bitching about being forced to shave his head by his employer and the snowflakes would be all over it condemning WWE.

·
CHAIRMAN of WF
2,528 Posts
WWE doesn't do Hair matches just for the hell of it. There's usually always an underlying reason behind hair matches. In most cases, the person getting their hair cut off actually wants their hair to be cut off due to personal reasons. Since they can't simply cut their hair off due to contractual obligations, they instead get the creative team to make a storyline out of it.

For example:

Kurt Angle wanted to go bald as he was already losing hair by his hairline.

Kevin Nash had a movie role that required him to cut his hair short.

Molly Holly wanted to go bald for storyline purposes and begged the idea to creative.

Eric Bishoff was tired of dying his hair black every week so he pitched the idea to cut his hair short.

CM Punk's hairline was receding and he was getting tired of having long hair.

Vince McMahon wanted to advance the Bobby Lashley vs Umaga match at WrestleMania 23.

There's always some personal motive for Hair matches. The lack of hair matches currently is probably because nobody wants to cut their hair.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
ATM ignore Corbin although it would make sense, hair v hair matches always have a personal reason so they could do a hair v hair match with Naomi being the one losing. she's stated numerous times she wants the change but is hardly used now.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
these matches were usually done because of some purpose.

eg angle likely had his shaved because he wanted it cut off anyway. Nash had his cut off because he was doing the punisher movie.

basically they mostly only seemed to happen because of some backstage reason or the wrestler specifically asking for it. Not purely for story. They did them to make money out of something that would happen anyway and possibly even make some money off of it.

Reactions: PresidentGasman

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Most of the roster have short hair now or are bald, so what is the appeal? How can you do a hair vs hair match with Ricochet and Cesaro? Or The Revival? Does a hair match really carry a threat to Randy Orton or Robert Roode?

Think of the WWE roster of 1988 and compare it to today? How many wrestlers were bald? Boris Zhukov and Bam Bam Bigelow. That’s it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For example:

Kurt Angle wanted to go bald as he was already losing hair by his hairline.

Molly Holly wanted to go bald for storyline purposes and begged the idea to creative.
It's funny, IIRC Kurt Angle claimed in the RF Shoot Interview that Vince was the one who suggested he go bald so that he looks "more rugged" and more "intense, meaner". Even though it was clear that his hairline was receding and he would have needed to shave it bald sooner rather than later.

As for Molly Holly, I think she pitched the Title vs Hair storyline so that Vince / the WWE creative was happy to slot her in to WrestleMania. IIRC she really wanted that WrestleMania match and she would not have gotten it if she didn't pitch that unique stipulation (women just don't really volunteer to lose their hair). It wasn't something Molly pitched just so that she could have a character or a storyline per se.

But other than that yea, you are right, WWE don't really do Hair vs Hair matches.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
its kind of weird really but I found that kurt really became fantastic when he lost the hair.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hair vs Hair matches are great when done right and are perfect way for a balding superstar to transition into bald look without looking too obvious.

For example it would have been amazing storyline if some young superstar like Daniel Bryan back when he was fighting the Authorty challenged HHHs best friend HBK to a hair vs hair match , won and shaved HBKs hair.

Would have been a perfect way to transition HBK to his Saudi Arabia bald look with a real storyline explanation and without him having to be laughed at for randomly losing his signature look due to balding/ old age.

Would have also made sense with Corbin as his hairline was receding and he was going to have to shave it anyways , but at least with him shaving his hair transitioned him to his GM gimmick rather smooth.

I don’t however see any other current wrestler that is in dire need to shave his hair at this point so doubt we will see such a match anytime soon

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Molly still looked pretty with a shaved head. Could you imagine Charlotte bald? Or Ruby? Sasha (if she isn't already)?

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
Never see the rumours that WWE freak out when people make changes to their appearance? Rusev trimming his hair down etc. Consistent appearance is something that's been important for their 'branding' department because of their laziness & ineptitude. Imagine having to take a new stock photo of someone & replacing that on their advertisements. The minutes it takes them to do so. Makes their job harder, if you dig my vibe?

Basically, just blame Stephanie McMahon. Root of most terrible corporate decisions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts