Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter revisionist history will tell you regarding WCW, and by god they truly were A W F U L from March 1999 - Fall 2000, they actually began to show significant improvement creatively by the end.

Around the time Scott Steiner went over Booker T to become World Heavyweight champion we saw an uptick in the quality of shows across the board in my opinion. Scottie was the best booked world champion we had seen since Sid back in the first part of 2000. The feuds were entertaining from top to bottom and Nitro was super watchable thanks to a return to only 2 hours instead of 3.

We saw Scott put established stars out of action during his run with the belt including Sting, Booker T, Stevie Ray, Sid, DDP, Nash, it was a hell of a reign. I've always been curious as to if anyone knows who was supposed to eventually take the belt from him and end this run? Was it supposed to be the returning Booker all along? Goldberg coming back after "losing his career" to Totally Buff?

Any speculation?

·
Premium Member
Formerly kennykiller12
1,071 Posts
No idea if this is true but I've heard that Steiner was supposed to remain undefeated till Starrcade 01. Then Goldberg would return (with the rest of the guys Steiner had taken out) for a program and beat him. Though it was clear by early 01 they were building Sean O'Haire up for a singles push so who knows.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No idea if this is true but I've heard that Steiner was supposed to remain undefeated till Starrcade 01. Then Goldberg would return (with the rest of the guys Steiner had taken out) for a program and beat him. Though it was clear by early 01 they were building Sean O'Haire up for a singles push so who knows.
Always been kind of my assumption too. Goldberg improved tremendously in the ring in 1999 - 2000. Too bad it seemed to be all lost when Vice tried to get him to work the WWE main event style instead of just letting him be Goldberg. The only time Bill felt truly himself in his first WWE run was in the Elimination Chamber.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Both Goldberg and Scott Steiner were meant to go unbeaten all Year. Goldberg beating every heel in the company and Steiner beating every face in the company. They were then going to have a battle of the invincibles at Starrcade.

·
Registered
477 Posts
After 20 years I finally found the episode that got me hooked on WCW - when Rick Steiner turned on Nash against Scott Steiner (found it on YT). That combined with Goldberg was all I needed.

Steiner was awesome.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Knowing how incompetent they were, David Arquette may have gotten his rematch and became a 2x champion. Hey, maybe Jay Leno...Leno looked good in the ring with that armbar on Hogan.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dennis Rodman returned and became a full time wrestler as his basketball career was over at that point. The eccentric Rodman vs. The Big Bad Booty Daddy could have resulted in a Worm title run!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Sean O'Haire would've been great to see as WCW Champ. But imagine if guys like Lesnar and Cena jumped ship to WCW despite OVW's affiliation with WWF.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts