Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan says he believes he would have risen to World Title level had it not been for a routine traffic stop in 1987 that led to him and his passenger, The Iron Sheik, being arrested when marijuana and cocaine was discovered. Duggan volunteered to the officer there was some marijuana in the car, but he didn't know Sheik had cocaine.

Both Duggan and Sheik were fired, an incident Duggan talks about at length in his new autobiography that came out this month.

In an exclusive interview with PWTorch.com's Wade Keller on he expanded on what he wrote about in his book regarding how the arrest diminished the heights he'd reach in the WWF.

"I don't think I ever regained the momentum I would have had before the arrest with the Iron Sheik," he said. "I think I was on the fast track [before the arrest]. I think I would have been World Champion, Intercontinental, or Tag Team Champion. I never regained the momentum. I think a lot of guys it would have totally crushed their career, but I was lucky enough to survive it and actually thrive after the arrest."

One of the issues that complicated the matter was that he was feuding with Iron Sheik at the time, and back in the late-'80s the mainstream media seized the chance to mock pro wrestling because two wrestlers in a bitter on-air feud were caught driving together. Of course today, WWE cares so little about that type of thing, they have Alberto Del Rio and Mark Henry on Raw giving anti-bullying speeches and coming across as heroes to kids. Vince McMahon cared back then, and fired Duggan and Sheik on the spot because of the embarrassing publicity the arrest created.

"For a while I didn't think I would be given an opportunity to come back to WWE," Duggan told Keller. "My good friend Jake Roberts called me I was screwed and would never be brought back. So I thought that was going to be the end of my career with Vince. But I made the call to Dusty [Rhodes] after Jake called me. I made plans to go down and see Dusty Rhodes in Atlanta. Before I made that move, Bruce Prichard called me from the office and told me to keep my head down and they were going to bring me back. They brought me back, but never gave me the huge push."

Duggan also talked about the big controversy in WCW between him and Steve Austin, and whether he or Austin still hold a grudge today over the incident that contributed greatly to Eric Bischoff firing Austin from WCW. Austin was asked to drop the U.S. Title to Hacksaw Duggan. Duggan says Austin was upset and faked a knee injury and cut the match short in order to express his disagreement with the bookers.

"The deal with Austin, yeah, we had a little heat over that," he saide. "The match was supposed to go 12, 15 minutes. Austin wasn't happy about doing the job so he went down with a bogus knee injury and it kind of took away from me and everything... He said, 'I blew my knee out, I blew my knee out. Cover me, cover me.' I did the cover and got the 1-2-3. That's, as I point out in the book, there was a change in wrestlers' attitude then. It wasn't about passing the torch and what can you do for the company, it was more of a me type of time where you wanted to make sure what you did didn't hurt your chances of going somewhere else rather than the old school deal where, 'Hey, I'm passing the torch to someone else.'"

He said part of the issue was the politics behind the scenes. At the time in WCW, Austin was perceived to be part of a fading political power-base led by Ric Flair, and Duggan being booked to beat Austin was part of Hulk Hogan exerting his power and helping his friends, such as Duggan.

"Yeah, there was definitely two camps at WCW," he said. "There was the Hulk Hogan camp that I was proud to be part of, and of course the Ric Flair. Me, the Hulkster, Jimmy Hart, Beefcake, we all made the moves to WCW. The guys down there, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, [Johnny B. Badd and Sable], and 'Stunning' Steve Austin, they all made the move to New York. That shows what a master Vince [McMahon] is by repackaging those guys. After two or three years he regained the momentum over WCW."

He says the two are cordial today, though. "I wouldn't say we befriended each other. We're run across each other a few times and they were always congenial. At this stage there's no heat I have with hardly anybody. Those of us who have survived this business and thrived in it, so we let bygones be bygones. I hold no hard feelings toward him and I don't think he has any toward me, to tell you the truth... I joke about it now-a-days. I say I beat 'Stunning' Steve so bad he had to shave his head and change his name. I should be getting a kickback. He'd still be Stunning Steve if I didn't get him."

source: PWtorch.com

·
Banned
4,921 Posts
Re: "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan says that would have risen to Wold Title level if.....

Yet Jeff Hardy fails drug tests, quits cause he doesn't want to go to rehab, comes back and fails two more drug tests and gets three world title reigns. Bullshit.

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts

I don't think Duggan can have ever rose to that level. At that point, Hogan was the man and it was somewhat obvious that WWE saw big potential in Randy Savage. If Vince actually thought that a Duggan title reign would bring in money, he would have done it.

Duggan always appeared to me as a guy who was off in the head. He just seemed weird and still does. I know Matt Bourne had some rather interesting comments about Duggan in the past.

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts

Duggan wasn't good enough to be WWE Champion.

·
Sleeps nude in an oxygen tent.
4,744 Posts

Duggan is the frickin' man.

Reactions: jpickens

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts

Yeah, sure Jim. Ted Dibiase, Roddy Piper, Mr. Perfect, Ricky Steamboat (in WWE) and Jake Roberts couldn't do it, but you? Yeah, that was totally gonna happen. :rolleyes:

Duggan is an abominable performer.

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts

Can't remember exactly but they had an indy match a while back and it turned into a shoot. The video of that is on Youtube and Bourne did a shoot afterwards (can't remember if it was with Feinstein or a radio interview) where he ran down Duggan and I remember him saying something about Duggan being an alcoholic and saying something about where their problems originally stemmed from. Can't seem to find the video on Youtube and nothing I can say does any justice, as I'm leaving out the majority of what Bourne actually said.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts

Duggan is full of shit, Austin jobbing to him no more than 1min is one of most dumbest thing ever because Duggan part of Hogan group..once Hogan sign with WCW, everything change...saying Flair holding Austin down is bull, Austin had great mini fued and matches with Flair but with Hogan he refuse work with Austin.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts

Duggan, despite being a horrid performer, was extremely over (even to this very day), so his statement that he could possibly have been in line for a big title push is not so far fetched as it seems.

Vince has never cared about whether guys were good wrestlers or not, all he cares about is if the fans love him and the guy can make him a couple bucks.

As far as his heat and situation with Austin...maybe its true, maybe it isn't. I would love to hear Austin's side of the story.

·
Registered
727 Posts

Duggan as world champ? no way

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts

I just don't believe Duggan. I mean, after Snuka allegedly murdered his girlfriend, he was still part of the first WM and had a job off and on for the next nearly 10 years. It's more to what Duggan is saying that he won't discuss. Fact is, he wouldn't have been that big of a draw as champion and would have looked out of place.

He was like Eugene before Eugene.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts

Duggan, despite being a horrid performer, was extremely over (even to this very day), so his statement that he could possibly have been in line for a big title push is not so far fetched as it seems.
All the guys I mentioned were extremely over too, not to mention ridiculously superior. Plus, how much of Duggan's overness is based on his gimmick? Duggan reminds me of Slaughter in that I honestly don't think he would've had any kind of lasting legacy if it wasn't for the fact that his gimmick was meant to pander to the ego's of the American fans.

Duggan is not the Ultimate Warrior, he could not have gotten by on his look, with the shittyness that he had.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts

All the guys I mentioned were extremely over too, not to mention ridiculously superior. Plus, how much of Duggan's overness is based on his gimmick? Duggan reminds me of Slaughter in that I honestly don't think he would've had any kind of lasting legacy if it wasn't for the fact that his gimmick was meant to pander to the ego's of the American fans.

Duggan is not the Ultimate Warrior, he could not have gotten by on his look, with the shittyness that he had.
Yes, Duggan had a gimmick that worked, I can't really argue that he was only over because of his pandering because honestly its true. Hogan, Slaughter & Duggan all pretty much did the same gimmick.

Duggan also didn't have a good look, which is the reason I am hesitant to fully accept what he says. I find it hard to believe Vince would have put Duggan on the scene as the WWE champion (especially with Hogan there as an option) but for the other titles, I can certainly see Duggan as a tag team or even an IC champion in the 80s.

The difference between Duggan and the guys you mentioned is that Duggan was a huge babyface, those guys were primarily heels. The WWF has always been a primarily babyface driven territory so a Duggan was far more likely to succeed than Ted DiBiase, just based off that. I don't think there is a question of talent because Duggan had none, but Vince gave the belt to Slaughter (who also sucks in my opinion) and not Rick Rude or Jake Roberts, which strengthens my argument that Vince doesn't really value talent the way we do.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts

The difference between Duggan and the guys you mentioned is that Duggan was a huge babyface, those guys were primarily heels. The WWF has always been a primarily babyface driven territory so a Duggan was far more likely to succeed than Ted DiBiase, just based off that. I don't think there is a question of talent because Duggan had none, but Vince gave the belt to Slaughter (who also sucks in my opinion) and not Rick Rude or Jake Roberts, which strengthens my argument that Vince doesn't really value talent the way we do.
Vince gave the title to Slaughter but that was to take advantage of the gulf war. Slaughter was able to turn into a monster heel, which Rude or Roberts wouldn't have been able to do for that particular scenario. That was the only scenario where I could see Duggan maybe winning the title, because he would go up against Slaughter but he would NEVER have gotten the go ahead over Hogan, who was doing the same gimmick, but with far more charisma and appeal.

Vince doesn't exactly value talent the way we do, but it can impact his decisions. That's why Vince was so high on Randy Savage.

I also don't think Duggan was more likely to succeed than Ted Dibiase, exactly because he's a face. Like you said, it's a very babyface driven territory, so back in those days, you had Hogan, and ONLY Hogan as the main face, every other face was a midcarder excluding Warrior who came in late, but then you had a top heel spot that could've rotated between Piper, Dibiase, Roberts, etc. There was no reason why they couldn't have had a run with the belt. They chose not to give them that run, but regardless, it could've happened, especially with Hogan being the babyface draw able to face them. The heel spot was open for compromise. On the babyface side it was either Hogan or Warrior, all the time, and nobody was getting a leg up on them.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
'I think I would have been World Champion, Intercontinental, or Tag Team Champion. I never regained the momentum. '

Way to twist the comment op. I think it very beleiveable that Duggan could have been given a run with a belt in WWF the crowd loved him.

Reactions: jpickens

·
Premium Member
44,386 Posts
I doubt that. Hacksaw was fine as the comedy filler character that he was. Putting a World TItle on him would only over extend the boundaries of the character.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.