Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously I'm talking about WWF to WCW and vice versa, or ECW guys to either.
The first that springs to mind for me is Randy Savage back to WWF in 1998. Savage was severely fucked by joining the god damn NWO and had no direction in 98.
He debuts by sneak attacking Austin on the first RAW after WM14 and sets himself up Austin's first heel challenger. Let the two maniacs go at each other. That's money.

Wouldn't mind seeing what Ken Shamrock could've done moving to WCW in 98. If you put politics aside, having him run through mid card challengers to work up to Goldberg would be massive money.

Chris Jericho to WWF earlier in 98. He was done in WCW and he could've brought some sorely needed gravitas to the WWF midcard.

Vader back to WCW in 97/98. He turns up to face Hogan and returns to being the unstoppable monster.

What are y'all ideas? (Provide some ideas on why - not just '** to **)

·
Registered
14,465 Posts
Forgetting his problems I think Shawn Michaels to WCW in 1998 would have been good. I think a heel Michaels could have kept WCW on top a bit longer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Randy Savage from WCW to WWE - tweener character.

Ric Flair from WCW to WWE - he has being wrongly used. Pair him with Malenko, Guerrero, and Benoit and you have the Horsemen in WWE to fued with Austin / Rock.

Owen Hart from WWE to WCW (along with Bret, Bulldog, and Anvil) - you have the Hart Foundation in WCW.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Cool topic.

I was a rabid WCW-hating WWF fanboy during the MNW. So the only wrestlers I wanted to see go from WWF to WCW were guys I didn't care for AND couldn't draw. Like Mideon. In hindsight, with my WWF fanatic blinders off, Kaientai & Essa Rios would have been much better fits for WCW.

I once wrote a letter to WWF Magazine detailing my plan for how WWF could overtake WCW and reclaim their rightful place as the #1 promotion in wrestling. This was probably late 96-early 97. Anyway, one of those ideas was for WWF to poach just two WCW wrestlers. Those wrestlers?

The Giant & Scott Norton. Yep. That was part of my master plan for WWF overtaking WCW. The Giant. And Scott Norton.

Giant would have instantly become a top heel getting a monster push. Epic feuds with Bret, Michaels, and Taker were sure to follow. Then you have the Battle of the Big Men with Giant/Vader and Giant/Sid. Giant/Ahmed was another money match to 96-97 me.

I don't really remember my master plan for Norton. Probably just book him as Vader Jr. Maybe a New Masters of the Powerbomb stable w/ Vader & Sid?

A few months later Honkytonk Man was looking for a protege. Rumor had it Disco Inferno was going to be the guy. WWF Magazine all but guaranteed it. I was soooooo hyped for this! And gutted when it ended up being stupid Rockabilly rather than DI.

Around Wrestlemania 14 Ric Flair was on the outs with WCW and rumored to be in talks with WWF. Again, soooo hyped! I even had this theory that WM 14 was going to feature a double main event with Austin vs. McMahon and Michaels vs. a returning Flair for the WWF Championship.

Man, I miss those days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Raven to WWF in mid 1998 could of been an amazing opponent for Austin. Scotty to WWF in mid 1999 could of had the HHH push but looked better with it. Steph drooling all over Poppa Pumps biceps would of been hilarous.

I know this could never ever happen but Bret back to WWF as the higher power taking on vince to destroy the company.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Bam Bam Bigelow and Shane Douglas to WCW in 1995.

Hogan to WWE in time to win the Royal Rumble 97. After deciding against turning heel in WCW and being released.

Shawn Michaels to WCW in 97 instead of Bret after having a strop at Hogan dominating. I think him reuniting the Kliq would have been gold.

Sid to WCW at the end of 98 to end Goldbergs streak.

Ric Flair to WWE in 99.

Taz and RVD to WCW from ECW in 99.

Kurt Angle to WCW in 99.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Cool topic.

I was a rabid WCW-hating WWF fanboy during the MNW. So the only wrestlers I wanted to see go from WWF to WCW were guys I didn't care for AND couldn't draw. Like Mideon. In hindsight, with my WWF fanatic blinders off, Kaientai & Essa Rios would have been much better fits for WCW.

I once wrote a letter to WWF Magazine detailing my plan for how WWF could overtake WCW and reclaim their rightful place as the #1 promotion in wrestling. This was probably late 96-early 97. Anyway, one of those ideas was for WWF to poach just two WCW wrestlers. Those wrestlers?

The Giant & Scott Norton. Yep. That was part of my master plan for WWF overtaking WCW. The Giant. And Scott Norton.

Giant would have instantly become a top heel getting a monster push. Epic feuds with Bret, Michaels, and Taker were sure to follow. Then you have the Battle of the Big Men with Giant/Vader and Giant/Sid. Giant/Ahmed was another money match to 96-97 me.

I don't really remember my master plan for Norton. Probably just book him as Vader Jr. Maybe a New Masters of the Powerbomb stable w/ Vader & Sid?

A few months later Honkytonk Man was looking for a protege. Rumor had it Disco Inferno was going to be the guy. WWF Magazine all but guaranteed it. I was soooooo hyped for this! And gutted when it ended up being stupid Rockabilly rather than DI.

Around Wrestlemania 14 Ric Flair was on the outs with WCW and rumored to be in talks with WWF. Again, soooo hyped! I even had this theory that WM 14 was going to feature a double main event with Austin vs. McMahon and Michaels vs. a returning Flair for the WWF Championship.

Man, I miss those days.
The funny thing is, Giant was on WWF's radar first back in 1994 before WCW signed him. And Scott Norton wrestled a house show match against Bob Holly.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
1,655 Posts
I think WWE getting Kevin Nash back in late 98 or 99 would have been a big deal.

Nash was super popular around that time. He had a ton of momentum going with the whole ‘big sexy’ nickname

I could see him working some programs with rock, Austin, HHH, and another one with taker... by 2003 Nash was a little more ‘banged’ up. But late 90s would have worked well

It’s tough to imagine the WWE stars going over to WCW though, cause of the Bret Hart situation, where they had no clue how to use him correctly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The funny thing is, Giant was on WWF's radar first back in 1994 before WCW signed him. And Scott Norton wrestled a house show match against Bob Holly.
Same with Goldberg. The WWE wanted to sign him as early as 1996, but appearantly he was living in Atlanta, and had made friends with some in WCW at the time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think WWE getting Kevin Nash back in late 98 or 99 would have been a big deal.

Nash was super popular around that time. He had a ton of momentum going with the whole ‘big sexy’ nickname

I could see him working some programs with rock, Austin, HHH, and another one with taker... by 2003 Nash was a little more ‘banged’ up. But late 90s would have worked well

It’s tough to imagine the WWE stars going over to WCW though, cause of the Bret Hart situation, where they had no clue how to use him correctly.
That almost happened. After Sean Waltman (X-Pac) was fired from WCW, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall wanted out of their contracts, but Bischoff refused, but did end up raising their salaries. That was one of the reasons DX did the "invasion" skit, where they went to a live Nitro with the Army tank, and attempted to get into the arena.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just with WWF guys going to WCW around the MNW time, if you're thinking realistically then you have to contend with the real GM of WCW...brother. With anyone like a Shawn Michaels going across - Hogan ain't gonna dig that creative.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
I think the most historically interesting one would have been Hulk Hogan jumping to the WWF in 1998. How would this shake up the wrestling world? Austin goes back to WCW? That is something that would have been REALLY interesting. Austin in the same environment as Bret Hart again. Goldberg would be gaining steam at the same time. Sting would be champion. Eventually, Nash and Hall would have jumped back to Vince. Jim Ross could have jumped and taken Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle and made the OVW deal with Cornette and gotten a line to a bunch of future talent.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Same with Goldberg. The WWE wanted to sign him as early as 1996, but appearantly he was living in Atlanta, and had made friends with some in WCW at the time.

That isn't true at all.

He was spotted bodybuilding by Luger in his and Stings gym, who then told him to try out at WCW's power plant. WWE had probably never heard of him until he was on Nitro.

·
Registered
727 Posts
That almost happened. After Sean Waltman (X-Pac) was fired from WCW, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall wanted out of their contracts, but Bischoff refused, but did end up raising their salaries.
Waltman was sacked because he was always drunk and it was a power play by Bischoff to get Nash and Hall to calm down as they were a negative influence backstage.

They didn't get a raised contract at the end of 98 at all, I think you're getting your time line wrong, they got a new deal 6 months in to their initial contract. They had the same contract from January 1997 until the end. The way contracts worked in WCW were that the pay increased year on year, that allied to everyone.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Something people don't talk about enough regarding the attitude era, is that it was the first, and only, time in wwe history where all the old stars were gone. We got a complete reset.

Hogan, Savage, Bret and warrior went to WCW. Shawn retired.
Things would surely be a lot different if any of them were around in 98-99.

·
it's a tarp!
4,437 Posts
Bret Hart straight back to WWF. (Doubly so as Shawn got injured months later, combined with his drug problem.)

Bret/Vince
Bret/Austin
Bret/Rock
Bret/Hunter
Bret/Taker

And of course Randy Savage.

*It just occurred to me Bret/Angle would have been the sweetest of all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts