Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was Grunge the last only real Rock movement since It went no other Rock scene has made a big impact since.

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,056 Posts
(I'm gonna guess examples from the underground are off the table)

Nu Metal reigned while the music industry was experiencing its biggest sales in history but that gets written out of the narrative because the tastemakers detested it. In 1998 fucking everybody listened to Korn's Follow the Leader, the years 2000-01 Fred Durst was a bona fide celebrity and Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory sold ridiculous amounts. System of a Down haven't released anything in over a decade and yet the faintest mention of it possibly happening makes the music industry news, that band that in 2005 became the first since The Beatles to release two number one albums in the same year a decade after Grunge died. In particular Korn and Slipknot have both proven to have more longevity than much of the press assumed too, still playing arena tours to this day.

Btw this is just one movement I'm talking about because it's one I'm informed about, I'm sure someone else can tell you all about the Emo or Metalcore scenes or whatever.

Personally, I believe Grunge to be nothing more than a media creation: Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden... 4 bands who don't even share that much in common imo besides being based in Seattle and not looking like Cock Rockers. I've encountered very few casual rock fans who can name a Grunge band besides those 4 (maybe Melvins or Hole? Mother Love Bone, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr. and Tad get mentioned less often within the genre than Nickelback in my experience). "Grunge" is just a buzzword and an early 90's fashion trend to me.

Not downplaying those bands achievements, I'm a fan of them all to a certain degree and Alice in Chains is legitimately my second favourite band of all time - both the Staley and DuVall eras.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts