Wrestling Forum banner

Better wwe Wrestler?

• Chris Benoit

Votes: 46 59.7%
  • Bret Hart

Votes: 31 40.3%

Greatest WWE In Ring Performer Tournament: SF 2: Chris Benoit vs Bret Hart

2597 30
Its our second semi-final pitting two technical experts against one another. Bret vs Benoit - you decide!!!!!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Banned
763 Posts
Benoit. Till the day I die, the answer is Benoit.

· Registered
5,005 Posts
Benoit has a more varied moveset but Bret has a natural charisma and style in the ring that make his matches gripping to watch. But with all that said Benoit was more versatile he could do the brawling hardcore style, or the mat based submission style and could even blend those 2 styles together. Bret had some wild matches (submission match vs Austin, match w/ Diesel) but not a wild as Benoit

· Registered
4,888 Posts
Benoit has a more varied moveset but Bret has a natural charisma and style in the ring that make his matches gripping to watch. But with all that said Benoit was more versatile he could do the brawling hardcore style, or the mat based submission style and could even blend those 2 styles together. Bret had some wild matches (submission match vs Austin, match w/ Diesel) but not a wild as Benoit
I completely agree with this. Bret had an in ring charisma which Benoit just couldn't pull off and as a result I too always found it easier to be drawn into Bret's matches. Bret was also better at telling stories and being more versatile with different types of opponents - look at how he wrestled Kevin Nash as opposed to someone like the 123 kid - he was a master of authenticity.
Benoit was truly great but Bret was just a little greater.

· Ho!
20,682 Posts
Both are the two best ever in the ring. While I do think Bret was technically better, in every other category that goes into in ring skill (storytelling, psychology, selling, etc.), Benoit beats Bret. So overall, I have to give it to Benoit. But imo, theyse two should have been the final two.

· Registered
4,888 Posts
EBboy™;9468643 said:
Both are the two best ever in the ring. While I do think Bret was technically better, in every other category that goes into in ring skill (storytelling, psychology, selling, etc.), Benoit beats Bret. So overall, I have to give it to Benoit. But imo, theyse two should have been the final two.
I respect your opinion but I don't think there has ever been a better storyteller than Bret. The guy is like a screenwriter when it comes to mapping out wrestling matches and using bouts to advance further storylines and feuds.

In terms of selling it is extremely close as I genuinely think these two are by far and away the most authentic sellers of all time. I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to screw my face when seeing either one take a nasty looking bump. The fact that Benoit mostly probably tons of genuine hard knocks whereas Bret was all about safety however gives the edge for me to Bret in that category too.

· Registered
5 Posts
I'm assuming most of these who have posted are from an era post Bret Hart and never got to see him at his best, because he is by far the greatest in ring wrestler bar none, In the ring there has never been anyone who could wrestle, story tell, have the perfect inring physcology and making his moves actually look realistic and beleiveable.

Benoit was a fantastic wrestler no doubt but Bret is a cut above anybody that there has ever been. He could make the poorest of wrestlers look great he could make them look better than they could ever imagine being he could makea star out of an average wrestler.

He told a story in the ring that no one can match yes i'm a massive Bret Hartfan but from a purely un-biased viewpoint he is quite simply the best pure in ring wrestler there has ever been he should win this thing outright, if your talking about greatest performer including things such as mic work cutting promos having great charisma etc then maybe he wasn't as greart in those areas but pure ability he is the best ever.

· Registered
5,005 Posts
I was a wrestling fan before bret hart had ever won a singles title. I know how great he is, but to me Benoit is Bret evolved. I've watched Benoit since he was in WCW during the "silent but violent" days...I know at that point Bret was vastly superior but as time went on, especially when Benoit went to WWF and got those big time matches with HHH, Angle, Rock etc I started noticing how Benoit's intensity and level of skill combined with his toughness was mind boggling. To me Benoit became an indestructible force and at his size that was something I never seen and never got from Bret. I never felt like Bret was an unstoppable bad ass but Benoit gave me that from time to time. Its a dynamic that can't be ignored for me. Benoit just gave me than "man amongst men" men. Bret was cagey and used his brain to beat bigger guys, Benoit outwilled them, he broke guys down. Even today when I watch a Benoit match, the intensity and toughness he brings gives the match a "big fight feel".

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
Benoit was better. Bret is the most boring technician in the history of the world. His matches are completely hit and miss and every good match he's ever had is overrated to some degree. Benoit was always on fire in the ring, and he wrestled in my personal favourite match of all time and a good chunk of my top ten.

And yes, I did see Bret during his prime. I actually watched him when he was a regular, and am not just picking Benoit because I've seen a few clips. I know Bret's work, Benoit is his superior.

On a side note, I'm going to die a little inside in the final when people choose Shawn Michaels over Benoit. :no:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.