• Shawn Michaels

Votes: 67 84.8%
  • Ric Flair

Votes: 12 15.2%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for our third quarter final. Who will join Benoit and Angle in the semi-finals - Ric Flair or Shawn Michaels. Shawn takes this one for me - better in almost every aspect of in ring wrestling.
Again rmbr that this is based on wwe work only.

· Registered
7,396 Posts
flair is much better, but wwe work only is michaels

· Registered
8,239 Posts
Ric Flair.

He's done it year after year, decade after decade.

The guy was having 5 star matches in his 60's. Noone else can say that.

Not taking anything from Shawn, he's one of the greatest ever, too.

He just ain't no Ric Flair.

· Banned
18,342 Posts
Flair, but if you count WWE only, it's HBK of course.

· Registered
3,895 Posts
As much as I love Flair, has to be HBK.

Question is, how much more memorable would the trilogy of been in 1989 if HBK was in his prime and faced Steamboat as opposed to Flair, and got the same match length.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Well seeing how these threads have been based on WWE work alone then there is no comparison to be made really and that isn't because i am a Shawn Michaels mark, Ric Flair's whole in ring career in WWE consisted of a year and a half in between 1991 and 1993 and then i believe as a part time wrestler in between 2003 and 2008. I am not knocking Ric Flair because he is one third of what i like to call "The Golden Trinity" of in ring performers alongside Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle but as far as WWE goes he wouldn't even be in the top ten for me.

On the other hand Shawn Michaels is simply the single greatest in ring performer that has ever graced a WWE ring and he did year after year and match after match and you don't have to take my word for it as Steve Austin, Chris Jericho, Mick Foley, Triple H, Vince McMahon, John Cena, Jim Ross, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and many others have said the same. I defy anyone to try and convince me that over such a long period of time anyone else who has produced as much in a WWE ring as Shawn Michaels has done so consistently and with almost everyone he has ever been in the ring with, someone show me a bad match he had and i will show you a hundred that he had that were great.

· Registered
4,888 Posts
Well seeing how these threads have been based on WWE work alone then there is no comparison to be made really and that isn't because i am a Shawn Michaels mark, Ric Flair's whole in ring career in WWE consisted of a year and a half in between 1991 and 1993 and then i believe as a part time wrestler in between 2003 and 2008. I am not knocking Ric Flair because he is one third of what i like to call "The Golden Trinity" of in ring performers alongside Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle but as far as WWE goes he wouldn't even be in the top ten for me.

On the other hand Shawn Michaels is simply the single greatest in ring performer that has ever graced a WWE ring and he did year after year and match after match and you don't have to take my word for it as Steve Austin, Chris Jericho, Mick Foley, Triple H, Vince McMahon, John Cena, Jim Ross, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and many others have said the same. I defy anyone to try and convince me that over such a long period of time anyone else who has produced as much in a WWE ring as Shawn Michaels has done so consistently and with almost everyone he has ever been in the ring with, someone show me a bad match he had and i will show you a hundred that he had that were great.
Bret Hart matches Shawn for in ring work but HBK was a better mic worker.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Bret Hart matches Shawn for in ring work but HBK was a better mic worker.
If Shawn Michaels had never come back in mid 2002 then his and Bret Hart's singles career in WWE would have been around the same time frame and of the same level for their in ring work but Shawn Michaels did come back and then added another eight years of great in ring performances on top of the first seven. This thread is WWE related so anything that Bret Hart did in WCW is not included although he didn't really have that much too remember from WCW outside of the feud with Sting.

When Shawn Michaels returned at SummerSlam in 2002 he somehow managed to have the best match of the year as far as in ring work was concerned despite not wrestling for four and a half years and then followed that up with The Elimination Chamber and Three Stages of Hell match with Triple H again. Look at 2003 and the feud with Chris Jericho and their matches especially WrestleMania 19 or in 2004 with his three way feud and matches with Triple H and Chris Benoit or the singles matches he had with those men as well.

In 2005 he was unbelievable and produced great matches with Edge and Kurt Angle on more than one occasion not too mention he carried Hulk Hogan's sorry ass to what was probably one of Hulk Hogan's greatest matches as far as in ring work was concerned. In 2006 he managed to get what was voted as the Match of the Year by PWI from Vince McMahon who was a 62 year old man who isn't even a wrestler and then went on to good matches later on in the year with the combination of Randy Orton and Edge in the D-Generation X/Rated RKO feud.

In 2007 which was a year he had to take some time off for a knee injury he managed to have great matches at the start of the year with Edge and Randy Orton before producing arguably the two best matches of the year against John Cena at WrestleMania 23 and then the rematch on Raw in London. 2008 we saw Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair at WrestleMania 24 but the feud after against Batista produced two of the best matches of Batista's entire career, the feud after that with Chris Jericho was the best of the year by far and produced the best matches of that year also.

Obviously in 2009 we saw THAT match with The Undertaker at WrestleMania 25 but we also saw some good matches with JBL at the start of the year as well against John Cena again, later on that year Shawn Michaels was involved with what are to this current day the best matches that Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase have been involved in. The going into 2010 we saw the restarted feud between Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker which saw the great Career vs Streak match at WrestleMania 26 which was the best match of last year by far.

Since returning in 2002 Shawn Michaels has won every Match of the Year by PWI since 2004 and should have won it in 2002 for the match against Triple H at SummerSlam but Rock/Hogan did because of how big it was rather than how good it was. In 2003 again he could have won it for his match against Chris Jericho at WrestleMania 19 but it was basically a coin toss between that and Kurt Angle/Brock Lesnar in their Iron Man match on SmackDown which did win but there was nothing really between the two matches and either could have won.

To win Match of the Year every year since 2004 and have matches that could very easily have won in the two years that he didn't show just what Shawn Michaels has managed to do since his return and that is why as far as being an in ring performer in WWE goes he is above Bret Hart because Shawn Michaels came back to add to what he had already done. Bret Hart on the other hand unfortunately could not because of his stroke and concussions added to the fact his relationship with Vince McMahon was null and void at that time, to do what Shawn Michaels has done for an overall total of fifteen years and have the matches and performances that he has puts him above everyone else as far as WWE is concerned which is something that a HUGE amount of people inside WWE and in the industry have also said.

· Registered
244 Posts
It almost irritates me that someone can read this, think for half a second, then say "HBK NO QUESTION", there is a question here, this is maybe the closest comparison I can think of and easily the toughest one in this tournament so far for me to vote. Though I didn't get to vote I don't think it matters because I don't know if I could have. That being said it's not one of these guys for sure by any stretch.

Ric Flair was putting on broad way five star matches when Michaels was still a nobody (probably before he was even wrestling), but Michaels was still stealing Wrestlemania up until last year! they are both entirely charismatic but in two entirely different ways. Easily two of the greatest wrestlers of all time (they would both make my top five of all time), and I dont know who's better but it's not a blow out one way or the other.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.