Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
idk if this thread has been done before, but i would like to see your opinions. who is the greatest wrestler based on accomplishments such as titles, royal rumble wins, etc things like that. NOT on popularity or mic skills or anything like that, STRICTLY accomplishments. im sayin flair. i mean 16 WORLD title wins. :gun:

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would have to say Lou Thesz. He held the NWA title for a full decade. Was extremely famous for his time. Held the NWA belt on multiple occasions and was the face of Pro Wrestling.

Defending a belt for a decade is more impressive than winning a belt 16 times (Flair really won the belt about 20 times).

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have to say Lou Thesz. He held the NWA title for a full decade. Was extremely famous for his time. Held the NWA belt on multiple occasions and was the face of Pro Wrestling.

Defending a belt for a decade is more impressive than winning a belt 16 times (Flair really won the belt about 20 times).
oh yea! wwe just tones it down to 16. omg dude i completely forgot lol. your makin me sound like a noob sorry about that. but yea a whole decade of being champion is fucking impressive.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Flair, Hogan, Backlund (8? years world champion)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Probably Sammartino. The length of the title reign is more important for me than the number of times you have been a champion. How does one tally up Triple H's 13 world title reigns with Stone Cold's 6? Based on the numbers would you say that Hunter accomplished more than twice as much as Austin? As far as Bruno is concerned, both of his WWE Championship runs were epic and he held the belt for more than 3000 days in total across 11 years.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Keep in mind that Sammartino's really long reign was during a time when the WWWF wasn't really much bigger than any of the other territories. Most of Flair's NWA title wins came at a time when the WWF was getting huge/was already huge and killing/already killed the territories. I would make a case for Lou Thesz or Hulk Hogan before I made a case for either of them. Thesz held the NWA belt when it was -the- belt in the business, and he held it for a very long time. Hogan made the WWF -the- belt in the business, had quite a few reigns and held it for a combined length of time second only to Bruno. He also legitimized the WCW title as a rival to the WWF title and held it longer than anyone else. He is a combined 12 time Champion and one of the few guys in the business who brought legitimacy to the titles he held rather than the other way around.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
First four that came to mind were Flair, Sammartino, Thesz, and Lawler.

·
Registered
562 Posts
To give even more credit to Lou Thesz. He was considered the last undisputed World Champion. Since then there have been multiple world titles, but he was the last guy to be recognized as THE man.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Lou Thez has had a combined title reign of 15 years

Steve Corino has held over 40 heavyweight titles

Booker t has won over 22 WCW titles

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
It's really tough to make comparisons across the eras. Looking at it all from the time of Sammartino, to modern day...a lot has changed with not only the number of titles in the business as well as the number of tournements (such as the Royal Rumble), but also so much has changed with the duration of title reigns.

Looking at it that way...I am basing my list on accomplishments (as the thread calls out), not on how much of a draw they were. These would be my top picks in no particular order:

Shawn Michaels
- First Grand Slam Champion
- 4x World Champion
- 2x Royal Rumble wins (1995, 1996)
- 11x PWI Match of the Year (all Wrestlemania matches)
- WWE Hall of Fame Inductee

Undertaker
- 18-0 at Wrestlemania
- 7x World Champion
- 2007 Royal Rumble Winner

Ric Flair
- 16x World Champion
- 1992 Royal Rumble Winner
- WWE Hall of Famer

Chris Jericho
- First Undisputed Champion in history
- 6x World Champion
- 9x Intercontinental Champion
- Grand Slam Champion

Triple H
- 13x World Champion
- Grand Slam Champion
- 2002 Royal Rumble Winner
- 1997 King of the Ring Winner
- PWI Wrestler of the Decade (2000–2009)
- PWI Most Hated of the Decade (2000–2009)

Steve Austin
- 6x World Champion
- 3x Royal Rumble Winner (1997, 1998, 2001)
- 1996 King of the Ring Winner
- WWE Hall of Famer

1 - 20 of 54 Posts