Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Along with the Tag Division, the IC belt seems primed to gain some exposure and I am excited for it. Growing up during the Attitude Era, I personally preferred the Intercontinental Title over the WWE Title. While everyone backed up Stone Cold, The Rock, Triple H, The Undertaker, and everyone else, I was the kid sitting in front of his TV screen cheering on the likes of Chris Jericho, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Edge, Christian, Eddie Guerrero, and the many greats that held that belt. As I grew up I was happy that my favourite IC stars moved on to the WWE Title division, but I was disappointed by the dwindling numbers of talented stars to take their spots. That all has changed it seems with Cody Rhodes and the classic belt. I hope that the midcard will start to matter again and this title will once again showcase who the future stars of this company are once again...

So what better way then to look over the last 16 title holders over the last some years and figure out who was the greatest champion? I'm making the vote so you can choose MULTIPLE guys, since I see Cody getting most of the attention here. So, who is the best and will I be wrong that it will be Rhodes?

Cody Rhodes(1) vs. Ezekiel Jackson(1)
Face facts, Jackson was a transition champion to Cody Rhodes, but does that mean Jackson was a bad champion? Ezekiel did manage to defeat Wade Barrett and lead to the destruction of the Corre, so Jackson's title reign actually did a few things. Rhodes on the other hand has been on a role with various competitive matches and great promos surrounded over the title. Who do you prefer? Brains or Braun?

Wade Barrett(1) vs. Kofi Kingston(3)
This is a tough one for me personally. Barrett has had so much build up but such a down fall in recent months, but Kofi Kingston has always been consistent as a champion. Hell, I still remember how surprised I was when he took the strap off of Chris Jericho. Who will it be? The 'Cult Leader/Mastermind' Wade Barrett or 'The Always Smiling/High-Flying' Kofi Kinsgton?

Dolph Ziggler(1) vs. Drew McIntyre(1)
I expect to be alone in this, but I enjoyed McIntyre's title reign. I felt he brought some much needed attention to the IC belt, but I guess he just stroke a lot of guys the wrong way. Ziggler is in the middle of a great run with the US Belt, but can you say the same about his IC run? Ziggler would go on to become a World Champion (for 5 minutes) and McIntyre would go on into obscurity even though he had so much hype behind him. Who was the better champion to you?

John Morrison(3) vs. Rey Mysterio(2)
John Morrison is an interesting story...from Tag Champion to IC Champion to ECW Champion to Tag Champion (again) to IC Champion (again) to Going Nowhere. Just as it seems he is going to the top, he falls right back down. I feel for J-Mo, but his title matches were always entertaining. Rey Mysterio is the only champion on this list who fought for the title at Wreslemania and had a series of great matches with Jericho. As great a champion Rey was, did he bring prestige to the title or was it just extra luggage for Rey? Please tell me, who do you think was better for the title, Mysterio or Morrison?

Chris Jericho(9) vs. John 'Bradshaw' Layfield(1)
I'm sorry I can't hide my bias on this one. (1) I am a Canadian. (2) He's won the belt 9 times, more then anyone else. (3) He is the Best at What He Does. It's Chris Jericho vs...JBL. That's just me though. Who do you think was better for the title over the last few years? Jericho or JBL?

CM Punk(1) vs. William Regal(2)
When I looked I was shocked to see Regal is only a two time champion and Punk may be the fastest Triple Crown Winner in WWE history. Regal is a great wrestler whether you know it or not. When Regal was champion, things happened and there were rivalries and such. I love Punk, let me be clear on that, but I remember nothing about his run with the IC belt. As weird as it is for me I have to ask you, whose title reign do you remember more? 'The Voice of the Voiceless' or The long time Veteran?

Santino Marella(2) vs. Jeff Hardy(4)
I used to love the Hardy Boys, because they were the team I cheered for since their first match as a team with WWE contracts on Heat. How they have fallen...Try not to think about today, because back in the day Jeff Hardy did great things as champion. Now don't forget about Santino Marella. Though Jeff Hardy beat Triple H for the title, Santino beat Umaga...then both Hardy and Santino dropped the titles back to who they won them from. The point is Santino did contribute to the IC title as well!

Shelton Benjamin(3) vs. Rob Van Dam(6)
I remember that at one point, these guys were the Intercontinental Division. Both of them are talented, but only one went on to World Title glory. So who is your preference? The current ROH tag champion, Shelton Benjamin or the recent former TNA World Champion, Rob Van Dam?

·
Too Busy Eating Donuts
7,523 Posts
Jericho wins it for me

but if I could put the second greatest Intercontinental champion in the last 5 years it would be Cody

These 2 actually made the championship matter to me again

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
For the person who had the best feud and matches which is how i would rate the best Intercontinental champion of the last five years i would have to go with Chris Jericho as his feud with Rey Mysterio made the title matter again and produced one of the best feuds and series of matches of 2009. I would probably argue with anyone over Chris Jericho being the best Intercontinental champion of all time as his feuds with Chris Benoit, Kurt Angle, William Regal, Rey Mysterio and Shelton Benjamin are among the best Intercontinental title feuds of all time and elevated the title.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Jericho.

His feud with Mysterio made the Intercontinental title mean more than it did.

Also Dolph Ziggler??? Really? Really? REALLY?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Jericho and Rey really made the belt seem important when they were feuding over it

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
jericho cause hes a great mic worker and was a upper mid carder who still went for the 2nd rate titles and brought out the best of whoever it was he was feuding with
and now im hoping rhodes can top that and have a randy orton in 03 04 type run

1 - 20 of 37 Posts