Wrestling Forum banner

What is the greatest hardcore wrestling match ever?

• HBK vs Taker BB 97

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Taker vs Mankind KOR 98

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • HHH vs Cactus Jack RR 2000

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Triple H vs Stone cold NWO 2001

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • TLC Wrestlemania 17

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Orton vs Foley Backlash 2004

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Others

Votes: 5 10.2%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the greatest hardcore wrestling match ever?

I go with Triple H vs Cactus Jack RR 2000. A very intense match with great story telling that made HHH.

If you think I have missed any great match in the poll you can mention.

Edit: This thread is in fact addressing wwe hardcore matches. But it's good to mention matches from other promotion, provided they are not just some brutal hardcore matches with no story telling. The main focus should be on hardcore matches with great story telling.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
any stip? fuck me that's a hard question to answer
because the hell in a cells are great but when i think hardcore i think either foley Orton, foley trips or cena jbl i quit (cenas best match)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Personal favourite has to be the Rumble street fight between Triple H and Foley - it legitimised HHH, had fantastic storytelling, HHH took an absolute beating and Foley's bump onto the tacks from the pedigree was the best finish to a match I've seen.

Taker and Foley HIAC was a classic just for the bumps, HBK and Taker was the perfect HIAC match including Kane's debut, Rock's beatdown of Foley in the I Quit match showed a darker side to his persona, Angle and Shane's war at KOTR, Edge/Foley and Orton/Foley matches, Taker/Lesnar HIAC and HHH/Austin 3 Stages of Hell are all classics.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I can't remember when but one match that stood out from when I was a kid with the Big Show/Kane/Raven? match I think. The one where big show and Kane were going through walls and windows and a golf buggy ran someone over haha. That was legit great as a kid. But I'd probably hate it now if went and re-watched it.

·
Team Narcisse
7,939 Posts
Depending on when you ask me I will say that Taker vs Michaels BB97 is the greatest wrestling match all time so if it's included there is no way I could vote any other way. I personally don't think hardcore when I think about it though. It wasn't until Taker vs Mankind where the bar was really raised as far as the hardcore aspect of HIAC. Which is my pick for fav hardcore match. Edge vs Foley and HHH vs Foley rounding out my top 3 WWE hardcore matches.

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
Depending on when you ask me I will say that Taker vs Michaels BB97 is the greatest wrestling match all time so if it's included there is no way I could vote any other way. I personally don't think hardcore when I think about it though. It wasn't until Taker vs Mankind where the bar was really raised as far as the hardcore aspect of HIAC. Which is my pick for fav hardcore match. Edge vs Foley and HHH vs Foley rounding out my top 3 WWE hardcore matches.

·
Premium Member
17,716 Posts
Lol you guys

Wwe and greatest hardcore match dont go together.

Atsushi onita put on much better hardcore matches 20 years ago.

No rope barbed wire double hell expl9sion death match ftw
right? :lol I think we'll have to restrict it to "best wwe hardcore match", otherwise wwe isn't even in the top 100

I voted other. I literally just watched necro butcher and joe the other night and had no idea this dude existed. I hear that's not even butchers most gruesome, but one of his best.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
right? :lol I think we'll have to restrict it to "best wwe hardcore match", otherwise wwe isn't even in the top 100

I voted other. I literally just watched necro butcher and joe the other night and had no idea this dude existed. I hear that's not even butchers most gruesome, but one of his best.
This thread is in fact addressing wwe hardcore matches. But it's good to mention matches from other promotion, provided they are not just some brutal hardcore matches with no story telling.

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
I erroneously thought hardcore in a sense of the nominal hardcore championship matches. In that sense, I'd pick the Rob Van Dam-Jeff Hardy series around July 2001.

If by hardcore you mean elements of weapons and violence, I am going to elect HHH/Cactus Jack at the Royal Rumble 2000 from the options. I also thoroughly enjoy HHH/Y2J Last Man Standing at Fully Loaded 2000.

A lot of these matches are so difficult to watch as I am older and now that I know about CTE. I used to mark as a kid watching chair shots to the head (Rock-Foley at the 1999 Royal Rumble).

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Greatest hardcore match in WWE is Taker/Mankind HIAC/KOTR. It does not get more real and this match has impacted WWE ever since. I hate, when people try to diminish it´s impact or brutality for the sake of their geeky star ratings.

There are very few historical matches, that have defined wrestling and that is one of them.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Greatest hardcore match in WWE is Taker/Mankind HIAC/KOTR. It does not get more real and this match has impacted WWE ever since. I hate, when people try to diminish it´s impact or brutality for the sake of their geeky star ratings.

There are very few historical matches, that have defined wrestling and that is one of them.
In terms of historical significance there is no argument but the OP asked for the greatest not the most historically significant. Usually the one that sets the tone isn't the best one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Christian vs Randy Orton No Holds Barred Match at Summerslam 2011 - WHC.

Great Match!

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka, no contest.

Doesn't matter what promotion, what event, which match, they always put on great wars and had the GOAT hardcore rivalry.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts