Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
9,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is no way we will all find common ground here lol. I am not talking about the technical best, the ones that are the most intricate. I am talking about the most iconic.

But here is my opinion.....

1. The DDT: Jake Roberts
2. Stone Cold Stunner: Steve Austin
3. The Figure Four: Ric Flair
4. Superfly Splash: Jimmy Snuka
5. Moonsault: The Great Muta
6. Cobra Clutch: Sgt Slaughter
7 Camel Clutch: Iron Sheik
8. Elbow Drop: Randy Savage
9. RKO: Randy Orton
10 Doomsday Device: The Road Warriors
12. The Lariat: Stan Hansen
13. Sharpshooter: Brett Hart
14. Tombstone: Undertaker
14. Piledriver: Jerry Lawler
15. The Rock Bottom: The Rock
16. Razor's Edge: Scott Hall
17: The Leg Drop: Hulk Hogan
18. Jackhammer: Bill Goldberg
19: Diamond Cutter: DDP
20. Canadian Destroyer: Petey Williams

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Figure Four has always been the best finisher, at least submission finisher, to me. There isn't another hold where you can look your opponent right in the eyes and talk trash to them until they give up.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The most iconic is hogans leg drop. My favourite is the stand up power bomb, savages elbow and one winged angel.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
So many credentials to consider.

• Kayfabe effectivenes
  • How it looks
  • Has it inspired future generations
  • Was it innovative for its time
  • Has it lead to many memorable moments

Age of the finisher is also to be considered. Back in the 70's and early 80's sleeper holds and bearhugs were regular finishers.

Bruno Sammartino used a bearhug to finish matches for decades, and now a days no one would buy that as a finisher. Same with Hogans legdrop.

·
Registered
8,209 Posts
In my 30 years of watching I have to say Jake's DDT is number one, so good call out GL! His finisher was truly a huge part of his character and appeal. The fans were conditioned that once it was hit the match was over, and it always was. Furthermore I don't ever remember anyone ever kicking out. He would tease it sometimes and the other guy would counter, but if he did hit it no one kicked out.

Very similar to the above is the RKO, which might just be the best finisher of more modern times. Rarely kicked out of, can literally come 'Outtanowhere!' The different ways he can do it as well are truly remarkable. While I'm not an Orton fan, the RKO is fantastic.

My second favourite after the DDT was the Doomsday Device. Once they hit it you were dead and it really was one of the prettiest moves in wrestling. Still the GOAT tag team finisher.

The last I'm going to mention, and possibly my favourite is RVD's Five Star Frog Splash. The epitome of what a finisher should be - it was his best move which is saying a lot; tremendous impact; the fact he sold it as well was genius; looked absolutely beautiful the way he hit it; I don't remember anyone kicking out.

So for me:

1. Jake's DDT
2. Doomsday Device
3. Five Star Frog Splash

Honourable mention when it comes to submission finishers - Bret's sharpshooter is the best by a mile. It looked like it genuinely hurt which is the most important thing.

·
The Babyface of WF
Turned Heel
14,856 Posts
The most iconic lends to the bigger stars of any era if you ask me simply those that were most partial to the individual or common majority would usually agree upon but I'll just list an alternative.

Atomic Legdrop
Stone Cold Stunner
People's Elbow
Figure Four Leglock
DDT(Expanded with variants)
Tombstone Piledriver
Spear
Cutter(RKO being the primary reason)
Superkick(It's a meme but it's a good one)
Sharpshooter
Sleeper Hold(Underrated)

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,722 Posts
Stan Hansen’s lariat has to be up there.

whether heel or baby face, the build to the move can keep fans on the edge of their seat. Not only is the build to the move great, but the move itself can legitimately knock your block off.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Stone Cold Stunner is probably the greatest finisher of all time as its the finisher that elicited the most response from crowds. Next would be Goldberg's Spear/Jackhammer combo, Rock's People's Elbow, and Hogan's leg drop.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Something i also like is the concept of "super finisher", that was a wrestler additional finisher that was nearly never used in any of his match so when the wrestler used it , it was becoming really a big deal.

One of those was the Burning Hammer from Kenta Kobashi, he wrestled more than 2300 matches in his career, yet he used the Burning Hammer (his finishers moves were the Burning Lariat and the Orange Crush) only 7 times !
Story said that he created this move in order to defeat Mitsuharu Misawa, the top japanese wrestler in his time, and on the 7 use of the Burning Hammer, Kobashi used it 3 times on Misawa.

Something fitting excellently with puro wrestling specific match psychology.

Interesting and sad how years later people use such moves nearly as transitional ones, (similarly to the DDT that went from an awesome finisher for Jake Roberts to nearly one of the most used transitional move in pro wrestling) .
I guess that's the major problem with modern time in pro wrestling : use the most big flashy moves as possible in a single match is the trend.
Doing so have lessened a lot the impact of finishers in the wrestling fans mind when they watch modern matches.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts