Wrestling Forum banner

Great O-Khan: "We Felt That AEW is Full of Unrefined, Ill-Educated Indy Wrestlers"

3466 Views 71 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  GothicBohemian
During an interview with WrestleInn, Great O-Khan was very blunt about his thoughts on AEW. However, he was impressed with MJF, in spite of not knowing who he was before coming to America. A revered New Japan wrestler saying this publicly once again reinforces the notion that charisma, personality, and microphone skills trump mindless spots.

Full interview: Dominating New Japan and Beyond: An Interview with Great-O-Khan
Reactions: Dreo and Upstart474
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

· Registered
27,631 Posts
It was all over Twitter when it happened. This is public knowledge. The burden of proof isn't on me when you're making up straight bullshit about this being a work with absolutely nothing to back it up. You were wrong about everything that Xero News reported before Fightful and Meltzer. Why did you stop bumping that thread about profanity being censored in AEW? Are you embarrassed about how wrong you were? Didn't you say you're going to bump it everyday? You thought I forgot?
broooo.... ask Xero news if Kevin Dunn was really firedddd brooooo!

· Banned
24,463 Posts
A friendly reminder that Bryan Danielson, Jon Moxley (especially in 2022), and Daniel Garcia (out of the young rising talents) are just a few examples of workrate-heavy wrestlers being among the most over talents in the company atm; so that not only proves that they're fully capable of doing professional wrestling properly, but they're also able to draw plenty of interest among wrestling fans too.

· Registered
6,865 Posts
Great O-Kahn is in no way revered. He's a mid-card tag-team wrestler. Maybe you're just dim and don't know what revered means.
Exactly. Great O-Khan has about as much wrestling experience as MJF

I bite and throw chairs and rescue dogs
19,584 Posts
A friendly reminder that Bryan Danielson, Jon Moxley (especially in 2022), and Daniel Garcia (out of the young rising talents) are just a few examples of workrate-heavy wrestlers being among the most over talents in the company atm; so that not only proves that they're fully capable of doing professional wrestling properly, but they're also able to draw plenty of interest among wrestling fans too.
Eh Jon Moxley is more known for his character/mic work then workrate. And Garcia isn't truly over. People hate sports entertainment cause of Vince. It's like anyone going against Cena kind of over.

If he can get chants of support against miro or someone not running a Vince gimmick then we can say he is truly over

· Banned
24,463 Posts
Eh Jon Moxley is more known for his character/mic work then workrate. And Garcia isn't truly over. People hate sports entertainment cause of Vince. It's like anyone going against Cena kind of over.

If he can get chants of support against miro or someone not running a Vince gimmick then we can say he is truly over
To be fair though, after the year Jon Moxley has been having so far with 2022 atm, I think he's also a workrate guy too (even though his mic skills and character/charisma is even stronger).

Last year, I would've been more hesitant to call him one since he wasn't having as much consistent bangers compared to now :p

6,160 Posts
I could make a thread saying oxygen is required for human beings to live and AEW fans would be mad at me. I am once again highlighting that MJF is doing pro wrestling properly IN AEW with a co-sign from one of their puro WRASSLIN heroes. Pro Wrestling has never been about MOVEZ, but audience connection. That's why the most famous and successful guys (The Rock, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, and John Cena) dominated the industry with 5 moves and immeasurable charisma.

It's no secret that MJF and The Acclaimed are the two most over acts in the company, in spite of their wrestling style not being especially appreciated by this fan base. That tells you everything you need to know. Even in a promotion that favors what they perceive to be higher workrate, (when it's really just indyrific goons cycling through spots on autopilot) the characters with excellent promo ability consistently draw the most interest.
I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have power?
You're not wrong about the AEW defence league, just like I'm not wrong about the AEW hate party being over the top. Watching the two sides in action is more entertaining than AEW right now.

Look at the names you listed as stars who put connection over physicality. They represent previous eras and the most recent, Cena, was trashed non-stop during his run as WWE FOTC. There's also only a handful of them, and there will always be a place for charisma-first talent. Crowds love to cheer, or boo, good talkers and I'm glad AEW has a few on their roster. I may not be into that, but lots of fans are. If there were nothing but talkers, these folks wouldn't stand out.

Getting back to the previous era bit; today's fans want more than talking. They enjoy a great heel like MJF and a fun catchphrase duo like The Acclaimed (everyone, me included, loves the Acclaimed - I was one of the folks who noticed them early on when no one was paying attention if you check my posting history) but they also want ring action to chant for. A mix is needed, not all one or all the other. As much as the aforementioned are over, so are Death Triangle, Omega, Danielson and others who really aren't masterful talkers but sure can go in the ring. Takashita gets mentioned here all the time as someone people want back and how many amazing promos has he cut in AEW?

There's a market for indy geeks tossing pizza dough or casting curses as well. There are fans who laugh at that - just look at the t-shirts among the crowds. There's also a more subtle kind of charisma, one that doesn't involve a mic, that's represented by guys like Hook. You know it when you see it, or I do at least, and it makes it easy to tell who fans will want to see more of.

The folks I used to complain were underused and/or underappreciated here on WF were The Acclaimed, FTR, everyone in Taz's group, and Daddy Magic and sidekick and I feel vindicated in that. I saw untapped potential in Private Party and Abadon too, and I hope they get to shine someday as well. Right now, I think Miro needs more television time along with Ethan Page. Darby deserves better, as does Shida, Hayter, and poor, forgotten Angelico. Not all of those folks are workrate masters, some are, but not all.

It doesn't have to be, and shouldn't be, all charisma or all movez. I'm watching for the movez but I like characters too. Darby and Will Ospreay excel at in-ring storytelling (facial expressions, crazy selling) which, for me, is the best combination.

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have power?
I do, mine only went off briefly, but a lot of folks don't. The rural areas and places right on the coast are where the situation is worst. Lots of oceanfront properties lost land and boats ended up where they shouldn't be. No trees went down in my yard this year, unlike last year, but I have friends whose whole streets were littered with downed wires, branches, and trees.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts