Wrestling Forum banner

Great O-Khan: "We Felt That AEW is Full of Unrefined, Ill-Educated Indy Wrestlers"

3466 Views 71 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  GothicBohemian
During an interview with WrestleInn, Great O-Khan was very blunt about his thoughts on AEW. However, he was impressed with MJF, in spite of not knowing who he was before coming to America. A revered New Japan wrestler saying this publicly once again reinforces the notion that charisma, personality, and microphone skills trump mindless spots.

Full interview: Dominating New Japan and Beyond: An Interview with Great-O-Khan
Reactions: Dreo and Upstart474
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

· Registered
27,631 Posts
The fact that you think AEW would blatantly screw over their fans, some international, to artificially boost interest in their number 2 draw is quite sad. Thinking Tony Khan is some kind of a genius for it makes it even worse.
not a single person was screwed

all of them either was switched to stars like Danielson or got a refund

and all of them was there for the PPV bruv - like, c'mon now sonnnn

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Not even in the top 11 :getout: I'll wait to pass judgment until I hear Starlight Kid's thoughts on this subject.
Did you find that emote in the Wrestling Forum Time Capsule buried next to Dib? 😂

not a single person was screwed

all of them either was switched to stars like Danielson or got a refund

and all of them was there for the PPV bruv - like, c'mon now sonnnn
There were several women from Europe who paid THOUSANDS to see MJF SPECIFICALLY! They were NOT OK with the last minute change. I shouldn't even have to point out that extreme for it to register how f* stupid this would be as a work. I don't care if a local Las Vegas citizen walked down the street and paid $100 to see MJF. He still got f* screwed.

· Registered
27,631 Posts
There were several women from Europe who paid THOUSANDS to see MJF SPECIFICALLY! They were NOT OK with the last minute change. I shouldn't even have to point out that extreme for it to register how f* stupid this would be as a work. I don't care if a local Las Vegas citizen walked down the street and paid $100 to see MJF. He still got f* screwed.
who are these mythical women? Where are their ticket stubs?

c’mooonnnnnn brooooooooooskiiii

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
who are these mythical women? Where are their ticket stubs?

c’mooonnnnnn brooooooooooskiiii
It was all over Twitter when it happened. This is public knowledge. The burden of proof isn't on me when you're making up straight bullshit about this being a work with absolutely nothing to back it up. You were wrong about everything that Xero News reported before Fightful and Meltzer. Why did you stop bumping that thread about profanity being censored in AEW? Are you embarrassed about how wrong you were? Didn't you say you're going to bump it everyday? You thought I forgot?

· TEAM CHELSHIV
Umani. Vous êtes belle 💙💙💙💙💙
128,801 Posts
I got sent home early because of the weather. Rare footage of corporations giving a f*** about your health. We had FIVE tornadoes last night.
5 tornadoes :decker:

Glad things are okay with you and hope you keep your power.:becky:

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
5 tornadoes :decker:

Glad things are okay with you and hope you keep your power.:becky:
Yes, my internet was briefly out, but now I see Jericho is on my big screen TV and I'm more sad about that than the weather.

· Registered
233 Posts
What on earth are you guys talking about? Are crowds not allowed to cheer in japan? How do you even tell a crowd what to do? I know Japanese people like to be polite in public but that's unbelievable if they just follow that. Someone explain this to me please.
yes, they were not allowed to cheer since pandemic started until last summer. and i think some venues still have policy no cheering.. and iirc, shows at korakuen that i mentioned, the crowds are allowed to cheer but with physical distancing. that means promotor has to sell less tickets if they want cheers on their show

· Registered
1,678 Posts
For the longest time NJPW just always had a problem with anyone who wasn’t a New Japan wrestler and maybe AJPW//NOAH. Everyone else was called Indy scum or whatever it is they called wrestlers who weren’t from those three promotions.

They would bring Indy guys in with regularity when it suited their interests. They just weren’t hired and given the yearly salary that the wrestlers from the “big leagues” in Japan.

Someone like Okada may have never had the career he has in the old system. The mere fact that he started with Toryumon/Ultimo Dragon’s school. Before it became Dragon Gate it was a bit less polished than what it would become once Ultimo split and they changed their name.

The Great 0-Khan is just towing the company line in character. Shingo Takagi wouldn’t be there under the old system either. Today’s New Japan is better for making that change than they would be without changing.

They probably still think that way in their dojo(s). It just doesn’t benefit them to change their kayfabe promos. The Great O-Khan is no spokesman for the locker room. If they wanted to insult AEW for reals they would have had their big players make some statement.

6,160 Posts
I've seen O-Khan break character on camera to talk about industry stuff with Unagi multiple times. This idea that he's always in gimmick is a straight-up lie.

As for not caring about the NJPW/STARDOM crossover event, of course he doesn't, because he wasn't invited. Why would he pretend to be excited for something he's not participating in? Desperado said the shit is pointless if the women can't touch the men WHILE ON COMMENTARY FOR A STARDOM PPV and he's fucking right.

Just because a heel is criticizing something publicly doesn't mean he's acting. MJF makes a ton of true statements on television and in interviews. Him being in character doesn't magically make it false.
While a lot of folks here do seem to struggle with how wrestlers representing promotions that encourage kayfabe and company statements switch in and out of character with media they're familiar with, often even during the same interview, I'm pretty sure you do get that. You're just engaging in one of your fav things to do - AEW fan baiting. It's all good.

Glad to know you were safe last night. Fiona passed through here over the weekend and the cleanup is still ongoing. People were travelling across provinces to grab generators in the last few days since power won't be back on anytime soon for many, and that storm was far weaker than Ian.

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
While a lot of folks here do seem to struggle with how wrestlers representing promotions that encourage kayfabe and company statements switch in and out of character with media they're familiar with, often even during the same interview, I'm pretty sure you do get that. You're just engaging in one of your fav things to do - AEW fan baiting. It's all good.
I could make a thread saying oxygen is required for human beings to live and AEW fans would be mad at me. I am once again highlighting that MJF is doing pro wrestling properly IN AEW with a co-sign from one of their puro WRASSLIN heroes. Pro Wrestling has never been about MOVEZ, but audience connection. That's why the most famous and successful guys (The Rock, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, and John Cena) dominated the industry with 5 moves and immeasurable charisma.

It's no secret that MJF and The Acclaimed are the two most over acts in the company, in spite of their wrestling style not being especially appreciated by this fan base. That tells you everything you need to know. Even in a promotion that favors what they perceive to be higher workrate, (when it's really just indyrific goons cycling through spots on autopilot) the characters with excellent promo ability consistently draw the most interest.

Glad to know you were safe last night. Fiona passed through here over the weekend and the cleanup is still ongoing. People were travelling across provinces to grab generators in the last few days since power won't be back on anytime soon for many, and that storm was far weaker than Ian.
I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have power?

41 - 60 of 72 Posts