Wrestling Forum banner

Great O-Khan: "We Felt That AEW is Full of Unrefined, Ill-Educated Indy Wrestlers"

3466 Views 71 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  GothicBohemian
During an interview with WrestleInn, Great O-Khan was very blunt about his thoughts on AEW. However, he was impressed with MJF, in spite of not knowing who he was before coming to America. A revered New Japan wrestler saying this publicly once again reinforces the notion that charisma, personality, and microphone skills trump mindless spots.

Full interview: Dominating New Japan and Beyond: An Interview with Great-O-Khan
Reactions: Dreo and Upstart474
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
He is kayfabing like most of the NJPW guys and like MJF saying NJPW is the worst promotion in the world. Kayfabe is still alive in Japan and O-Khan is a heel. He also calls NJPW wrestlers 'unrefined', it's part of his gimmick of being the GREAT. Most wrestlers there stick to their characters in the press like MJF does in America. Notice O-Khan refers to himself as 'we'. Literally, the entire interview is in-character and he says 'we care not' about the NJPW/Stardom crossover event.
This is pretty on brand for his character, I mean he was basically like the outside foreigners in AEW and positioned as heels so this would fall right in line with that.

If you wanna use this for agenda pushing that most of the wrestling in AEW blows or something, be my guest I suppose.
Can you guys seriously not recognize a wrestler maintaining character in the press? I mean, I get that it hasn't been a thing in America for a while now but pros in other places still care.

It's a big part of what makes MJF special in the mainstream American scene - he keeps it old school with kayfabe and that's why he can pull off elaborate works that garner attention - he blurs the lines and leaves people guessing what's real.

I've seen O-Khan break character on camera to talk about industry stuff with Unagi multiple times. This idea that he's always in gimmick is a straight-up lie.

As for not caring about the NJPW/STARDOM crossover event, of course he doesn't, because he wasn't invited. Why would he pretend to be excited for something he's not participating in? Desperado said the shit is pointless if the women can't touch the men WHILE ON COMMENTARY FOR A STARDOM PPV and he's fucking right.

Just because a heel is criticizing something publicly doesn't mean he's acting. MJF makes a ton of true statements on television and in interviews. Him being in character doesn't magically make it false.

· Angry at refs
7,796 Posts
That's rich coming from the guy who was LOUD AND WRONG about literally everything backstage this year 😂. Take a break on telling us what's fake for at least 3 months.
That's rich coming from a guy who was LOUD AND WRONG about literally every Xeno News thread this year 😂. Take a break on telling us what's fake for at least 3 months.

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Are the crowd allowed to cheer in New Japan again?
TJPW just announced approved cheering for their next event yesterday, so I see it coming soon for New Japan and Stardom in the coming months or at the beginning of next year at the latest.

· Registered
27,630 Posts
That's rich coming from the guy who was LOUD AND WRONG about literally everything backstage this year 😂. Take a break on telling us what's fake for at least 3 months.
what do you mean? I have not been proved wrong once yet - its all speculation until Punk or Bucks come back and shoot. Or somebody is released

in fact, I was right about MJF being a work

yet.... Xero news' number 1 simp wants to tell me what's up

:ming:

edit> ok, ok... I was wrong about Cody - 5% wrong is what it is

:badass:

· Registered
714 Posts
For those that dont know, hes one of the fat bald slobs that came over from NJPW and contributed with nothing of interest.

Came here to ask who the heck he was, at first i thought op was calling tony that sarcastically. Guess aew isn't the only one who expects fans to know every foreign wrestler lol.

only in certain venue. the crowd cheered on korakuen shows earlier this month.

What on earth are you guys talking about? Are crowds not allowed to cheer in japan? How do you even tell a crowd what to do? I know Japanese people like to be polite in public but that's unbelievable if they just follow that. Someone explain this to me please.

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
what do you mean? I have not been proved wrong once yet - its all speculation until Punk or Bucks come back and shoot. Or somebody is released

in fact, I was right about MJF being a work

yet.... Xero news' number 1 simp wants to tell me what's up

:ming:

edit> ok, ok... I was wrong about Cody - 5% wrong is what it is

:badass:
MJF got a raise without signing an extension. How the f*** is that a work? Are you claiming Tony Khan got worked into a shoot and gave into MJF's real life demands due to a fake promo?! 😂😂😂😂

· Registered
27,630 Posts
MJF got a raise without signing an extension. How the f*** is that a work? Are you claiming Tony Khan got worked into a shoot and gave into MJF's real life demands due to a fake promo?! 😂😂😂😂
that whole thing is the work

he never no-showed the fan fest and never ever went out with a live mic to cut that promo without a raise and extension

c’mon broooo

· Baby It's Violence
12,539 Posts
I find it hard to believe they'd do an entire storyline surrounding his contract being up in 2024 and not give him an extension, even if it's only for a year or two.

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
that whole thing is the work

he never no-showed the fan fest and never ever went out with a live mic to cut that promo without a raise and extension

c’mon broooo
The fact that you think AEW would blatantly screw over their fans, some international, to artificially boost interest in their number 2 draw is quite sad. Thinking Tony Khan is some kind of a genius for it makes it even worse.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts