Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I haven't bothered with 205 Live since Ali and Murphy left it really. From the fragments I've seen, it looks to be a shell of its former self and firmly the 5th brand of WWE. But I'm making an exception tomorrow, because there's an incredibly talented Aussie wrestler making his debut. Matty Wahlberg, now known as Grayson Waller, faces Sunil Singh.

Quite frankly, I'm shocked he's on 205 Live. Not only because I see him as far too talented for such a small platform, but also- he's a fairly big guy, at least compared to the current cruiserweights. He's tall, and pretty filled out these days, probably around Seth Rollins size but a bit more ripped.

Here he is about 2 years ago main eventing in Sydney. He's filled out more since then, but more importantly he can work at that main event level.

http://instagr.am/p/CP9M0OYpUAd/
I saw him main eventing on NXT, so this has floored me. Maybe he can still cross over, but he'd be the first person to ever do it. Ali almost did, but injuries and Retribution fucked that up.

Anyway, Matty Wahlberg. Grayson Waller. Check him out.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I just saw this earlier. More guys on 205Live is always a good thing, it's shaping up to have quite the cruiserweight roster. I'm looking forward to seeing Grayson Waller.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm heartened slightly by the fact that they've completely retained his gimmick from what we saw on 205 Live. They may have changed the name, but everything else is basically the same, right down to the talking points from Nigel McGuinness and his WWE theme being a knockoff of his indy theme, Money by leikeli47.

A shame that Sunil Singh appeared to get injured in the match, hopefully it was just an unfortunate tweak. It affected the match a little, but Waller still showed enough that he shouldn't be stuck on 205 Live. I couldn't disagree more about needing more guys on 205 Live, it's below NXT UK in terms of relevance, anything of note in the CW division happens on NXT US. Unless they're going to give a shit with 205 Live for the first time in years, I want Grayson Waller shifted onto NXT ASAP.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I really enjoyed watching Grayson Waller, he brought a lot of personality and great offense in the ring. I'm a fan already and looking forward to seeing him more. I will say that he should be above 205Live but we'll how he does, he could always appear on NXT too. He definitely stood out to me.

Reactions: Rookie of the Year

·
Registered
Galaleroy
1,176 Posts
Of topic a bit, but I was surprised to see so many women and older folks in the crowd. Is the wrestling scene still like this in Australia?maybe we could learn a thing or two here in the states... nothing but sausage fests in the crowds state side

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of topic a bit, but I was surprised to see so many women and older folks in the crowd. Is the wrestling scene still like this in Australia?maybe we could learn a thing or two here in the states... nothing but sausage fests in the crowds state side
You mean in the vid I shared? Yeah that's typical of a PWA crowd, they've found great success over the past 3-4 years by running 18+ shows branded "Black Label". Attracts a real mixed crowd, and some of the women I see there... I mean, damn haha

·
SGT. AT ARMS
19,825 Posts
He has a great look, he's got a unique attire, he seemed pretty good, but what the hell was that finisher supposed to be? looked like he was trying to do a leapfrog curbstomp to the guy while he was standing from behind.

·
Registered
Galaleroy
1,176 Posts
You mean in the vid I shared? Yeah that's typical of a PWA crowd, they've found great success over the past 3-4 years by running 18+ shows branded "Black Label". Attracts a real mixed crowd, and some of the women I see there... I mean, damn haha

Right?! I had to rewind it a few times. That's awesome though man thanks for sharing. Something to add to the bucket list for sure

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He has a great look, he's got a unique attire, he seemed pretty good, but what the hell was that finisher supposed to be? looked like he was trying to do a leapfrog curbstomp to the guy while he was standing from behind.
Yeah that's what it was, didn't come off as smooth as usual, probably due to whatever arm/shoulder issue Sunil picked up there. I wish I could find a short clip of the one he hit on Mick Moretti at PWA Back In Black Label, Moretti sold it perfectly and it looked like death.

·
SGT. AT ARMS
19,825 Posts
Yeah that's what it was, didn't come off as smooth as usual, probably due to whatever arm/shoulder issue Sunil picked up there. I wish I could find a short clip of the one he hit on Mick Moretti at PWA Back In Black Label, Moretti sold it perfectly and it looked like death.
I can see it looking good, but it does seem like a move that can not look good if everything doesn't go 100% right, plus if its a curb stomp he usually hits i can see them wanting him to change it due to Seth using the Curb Stomp, but that would only happen if he gets called up to NXT or the main roster, cause i doubt Vince or anyone will notice him doing it on 205 Live.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can see it looking good, but it does seem like a move that can not look good if everything doesn't go 100% right, plus if its a curb stomp he usually hits i can see them wanting him to change it due to Seth using the Curb Stomp, but that would only happen if he gets called up to NXT or the main roster, cause i doubt Vince or anyone will notice him doing it on 205 Live.
Yeah the two things I was sure that WWE would change about Matty Wahlberg was his name, and his finish. Surprised that the finish has stayed, but he also had a fireman's carry into a powerbomb and a triangle choke, so he's got options when/if WWE take the Posterizer (stomp) away from him.

Grayson Waller is a decent name, better than most changes WWE come out with. Sounds better to me than Bronson Reed (fka Jonah Rock) anyway. Waller is a decent substitute for Wahlberg. Curious where Grayson comes from- if I had to guess, probably the name of a basketball player- Waller is a big NBA guy. To the point he had it as one of his early monikers- NBA- Natural Born Athlete.

Based on his shorts and updated social media, he's keeping the 21st Century Success Story nickname, which I'm a big fan of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts